Unveiling the Essence: The Enigmatic 30%

Embark on a mesmerizing expedition into the realm of architectural insight, where a profound narrative awaits. Within this captivating tale, architects beckon us to embrace a thought-provoking concept: the delicate equilibrium of design. Delving into the heart of a restaurant's creation, we are guided to tread with precision, crafting only 70% of its spatial tapestry. What, then, becomes of the remaining 30%? It is an ethereal space, infused with the vibrancy of its occupants—the skilled chefs, meticulous cleaners, diligent delivery personnel, and the families who find solace within its embrace.

Venturing beyond the restaurant's confines, we traverse the unseen thresholds that bind spaces together—a mesmerizing interplay that transcends physical barriers. These interstitial realms harbor the enigmatic dance between life and demise, where fleeting moments intertwine with the eternal fabric of existence. It is a tribute, a symphony of appreciation, paying homage to the intangible force known as 'space,' the orchestrator of this captivating choreography.

Drawing inspiration from the profound, our cinematic odyssey unfurls as both a question and an answer. With each frame, it explores the intricate interdependencies of that sacred 30%—an indispensable realm that ignites curiosity and fuels the essence of design. Step into this realm of contemplation, where the boundaries blur, and the extraordinary significance of space unfolds before your eyes. Join us on this transformative journey as we unravel the essence of creation, inviting you to dwell in the enigmatic embrace of the 30%.

  • Roa Kim
  • Roa Kim
  • Kelvin Hu
  • Roa Kim
  • Richard Sarrach
    Key Cast
  • Scott Sorenson
    Key Cast
  • Diana Le
    Key Cast
  • Maggie Lehman
    Key Cast
  • Nicolau Enomoto
    Key Cast
  • Zato Lin
    Key Cast
  • Mona Li
    Key Cast
  • Yiran Deng
    Key Cast
  • Santi Alicia
    Key Cast
  • Project Type:
    Documentary, Experimental, Music Video, Other
  • Runtime:
    6 minutes 10 seconds
  • Completion Date:
    June 3, 2023
  • Production Budget:
    5,600 USD
  • Country of Origin:
    United States
  • Country of Filming:
  • Language:
    English, Japanese
  • Shooting Format:
    Sony ZV-1, 24mm
  • Aspect Ratio:
  • Film Color:
    Black & White
  • First-time Filmmaker:
  • Student Project:
Director Biography - Roa Kim

Roa Kim, co-founder of Atelier 58l0, received the prestigious AIA Allwork Scholarship in 2023 for her exceptional talents. With an unwavering drive for innovation and a passion for expanding architectural culture, Roa Kim collaborates with architects, students, educators, and industry professionals to create impactful experiences in projects such as the Pier 58l0 exhibition and the Center for Architecture and AIAS Pratt Lecture series. Through her visionary approach, she aims to redefine cinematic architecture, leaving an enduring impression on the silver screen and beyond.

Roa's dedication to enhancing architectural culture extends to her passion for documenting space. Recognizing the significance of architectural documentation, she skillfully captures the essence of architectural compositions, preserving their beauty through visual storytelling. By meticulously documenting spaces, Roa strives to foster a deeper appreciation for the built environment, inspiring a new generation of thoughtful architects. Her commitment to architectural documentation serves as a powerful tool for shaping design discourse and propelling the field to new heights.

Add Director Biography
Director Statement

The true revelation of spatial appreciation occurs when the viewer takes on the role of documentation, capturing the essence of the scene and presenting it to the audience. Such a pivotal process should be deemed obligatory for designers, particularly architects.