The Sunscreen Film Fest West is known for its friendly atmosphere in the laid back, sun-kissed waterfront setting of Hermosa Beach, CA. Sunscreen West is the sister festival to the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, FL. Hermosa Beach has always been an area that supports the arts. Just minutes from LA/Hollywood this artsy and party- centric beach town of Hermosa beach is also known as the West Coast home to Jazz and Many punk bands as Highlighted by the acclaimed Film LALA LAND.
Going into it's 9th year in the South Bay area of Los Angeles (HERMOSA BEACH) the festival screens top notch films, provides stellar workshops and panels packed with Hollywood talent, and hosts great parties. Our state of the art Digital projector theatre seats more than 300 film lovers! Previous Panelists include Mitch Bell Head Of Physical Production for MARVEL, Christi Soper Head Of Casting for Dreamworks Animation, Many Showrunners, Top Casting Directors and many other industry leaders that love visiting our beach town or that even live in our beach town!!
Hermosa is a Spanish word meaning "beautiful". The city's beach is popular for sunbathing, beach volleyball, surfing, paddleboarding, bars, cycling and running. Come to see films, mingle with filmmakers and take a mini vacation!!
The Sunscreen Film Festival and it's West Coast sister event are organized and presented by the St. Petersburg-Clearwater Film Society Inc., a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charity dedicated to education, economic development, informing the public about the art of visual storytelling, enhancing opportunities for local filmmakers to develop their craft and art, and increasing the public’s awareness and support of local filmmaking as a cultural and economic asset. The two festivals have separate Festival Directors, Programmers, screening teams and Board of Directors but work together to support each others events.
An aspect that makes Sunscreen even more unique is that our celebrity and special guests take part in workshops, classes, or other events that supports the festival’s mission. Everyone that attends Sunscreen is accessible and easy to interact with. Many filmmakers love the collegial atmosphere during the festival and appreciate the chance to learn from one another.
Our goal is to encourage the creation, production, and exhibition of independent film in Florida and Southern California through our educational programs and public screenings, thereby increasing awareness and support of local filmmaking as a cultural and economic asset.
Best Short Film ($500)
Best Feature Film
Best Comedic Performance
Best Dramatic Performance
Best New Media project
* Our trophy's are made locally out of top grade glass and valued at over $100.
* Winners will be invited to "One on One" meetings with Festival Director and Talent Manager Robert Enriquez. If not available you can meet by ZOOM.
1. Productions may be created in any format, but all entries for pre-screening must be in a digital file.
2. Productions must be entered by the primary rights holder or their authorized representative. If you are acting on the behalf of the rights holder of the film, you may be required to furnish proof of authorization.
3. All entries must be in English, dubbed in English or contain on-screen English subtitles. Non-English entries submitted without dubbing or on-screen English subtitles will be automatically disqualified.
4. Entries must be postmarked by the deadline date.
5. Works-in-progress may be accepted for consideration, provided a completed version will be available by October 7, 2021.
6. We do not require, but STRONGLY RECOMMEND providing an "all audiences" trailer for your film in online format. This will greatly increase your chances of being included in potential television promotions for the Festival.
7. For each accepted entry, the Sunscreen Film Festival will allocate up to four (4) filmmaker passes to all festival events. A representative of your film must pick up all passes at check-in.
8. Based upon availability, Sunscreen will arrange discounts at hotels for filmmakers traveling to the Festival. This is dependent on budget and is provided on a first come, first serve basis.
9. The Sunscreen Film Festival makes every effort to exhibit submitted films in the best possible quality. We only accept digital files for exhibition(except feature films if they choose to send a DVD or Blu-Ray but not required). High-res .mov files under 5 GB in NTSC format. Any technical questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Only complete entries (including entry, payment, and media file) will be processed and considered for screening.
2. Entrant's name, address, FilmFreeway tracking number, and the production's title must be on each disc or case.
3. All entries must be accompanied by the synopsis of the production's content (online on FilmFreeway).
4. Films promoting or advertising products or services for "for profit" companies (excluding music videos) will not be given consideration.
5. Entrants will be notified of acceptance into the program ONE month prior to event. Sunscreen Film Festival does not guarantee notification for entries that are not accepted for the Festival.
6. Entrant stipulates that they control all rights to the submission and that public exhibition is authorized during the Sunscreen Film Festival if the film is accepted to the Festival.
7. If selected, entrant agrees to provide a copy of the film in an approved format for public exhibition no later than October 15, 2021.
8. Exhibition copies of subtitled films MUST include "burn-in" subtitles. "Player generated" subtitles are not acceptable.
9. If the Entrant wishes to decline acceptance to the Sunscreen Film Festival, it must be provided in writing no later than September 15, 2021.
10. There are no refunds of submission fees.
11. If your film is selected for screening, entrants will be required to immediately supply a press kit for promotional purposes consisting of A) an approved story synopsis of less than 150 words B) at least two photographs of scenes in the film for our Program Guide and C) a brief statement about the film from a key member of the creative team. These materials should be provided digitally with artwork or photos in a minimum resolution of 300 DPI. We do not require but appreciate any additional publicity material that is available (posters, postcards, etc.) and a complete credit list. These materials cannot be returned.
12. Participants agree that all materials related to their film (including excerpts of the film) may be published for any promotional purpose related to the Sunscreen Film Festival, including the Festival Program, Festival Web Site, and any local or national media. Posters and images of the film may be used independently or in combination with images from other films to promote the film and the Sunscreen Film Festival.
13. Productions must be entered by the primary rights holder or their authorized representative. If you are acting on the behalf of the rights holder of the film, you may be required to furnish proof of authorization.
14. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Sunscreen Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
15. We have the right to NOT award in any category if we are unable to make a selection based on our panels scores.
16. Dates may also change.