Stronger than Fiction documentary film festival screens the latest national and international documentaries, selected for their excellence and relevance to current discussions in society. Made by independent filmmakers, the films offer entertainment and unique insights into their subjects that are further explored after the screenings in interactive discussions with the filmmakers and experts. Discussions between audience members and our international guest filmmakers and speakers continue at informal networking events and Gala Opening and Closing Nights, where they can also enjoy themed entertainment, fine wines and five-star catering.
We want to use the power of cinema to connect people with new ideas and shake them up a bit. Our Canberra community is politically active and internationally focused. We want to help shape the dynamic, and we passionately believe that documentary cinema is the best way to do this.
AIFF recognises filmmaking achievement through the presentation of the following juried awards:
BEST OF FESTIVAL
Best Documentary Feature National
Best Documentary Feature International
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING FESTIVAL RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING THE 2019 STRONGER THAN FICTION DOCUMENTARY FILM FESTIVAL.
- STF stands for Stronger than Fiction
- SUBMISSIONS: All submissions in to the festival must be made online through the FilmFreeway website by 11:59pm Pacific Time on 20/5/19.
- ENTERING THE RIGHT CATEGORY: Entrants to the festival must enter their film in the category or categories that they rightfully fit in to. Entrants must provide supporting evidence of age and residency if requested by to support their category entry.
- OFFICIAL SELECTION: Once the official selection has been announced, successful applicants will be notified via email. Once official selection has been announced the decision is final and no discussions will be entered in to thereafter.
- SCREENING COPY: Required 15 days after official selection notification, if this is not received within 15 days of official selection notification STF has the right to cancel your screening and official selection.
- EXCERPTS: By entering this festival, entrants give STF the rights to screen excerpts from their film/s for promotion of the festival of the current year.
- RIGHTS: The producer and/or director must have the rights to the material (e.g music) used in the film and can provide written evidence of this if requested by STF.
- FILM REQUIREMENTS: Documentaries entered in to the festival must be made from January 2017 or later Entrants must be able to provide proof of the date of creation of the film to STF if requested.
- SUBTITLES: All foreign language films must be subtitled/dubbed in English to be eligible for judging.
- ENTRY FEES: Upon submitting a film, entrants will be required to pay a fee for EACH category entered before uploading their film. Entry fees cannot be refunded.
- TOURING OF FILMS: By entering STF, entrants reserve the right for STF to screen their film without re-numeration for 12 months after the festival.
- JUDGING: All films will be viewed by a judging panel appointed by STF. All judging decisions are final and no discussions will be entered in to thereafter. Once the winner of this award has been announced, the decision is final and no discussions will be entered in to thereafter.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1/ THE PRODUCER and any AUTHORISED PERSON entering this film has obtained from each contributor the authorisations to use of image, sound, performance and the reproduction of said image, sound, performance.
2/ THE PRODUCER/S and any AUTHORISED PERSON is the owner, has authorisation or license from the owner of the copyright in the sound recordings comprising the soundtrack to the film.
3/ COMPLETION DATE: On or after January 1st 2017.
5/ DEADLINE: Any films submitted after the 20/05/2019 deadline will not be considered for the festival.
6/ SUBTITLES: All non-English language films must be subtitled/dubbed in English.
7/ ENTRY FEES: Are not refundable.
8/ TOURING: All films entered MUST be available to tour for 12 months after the festival without renumeration.
9/ PLEASE NOTE: While we will make EVERY EFFORT to stick to screening times once printed, STF cannot be held accountable for changes to the schedule after schedule is announced.
10/ EXCERPTS/COPIES: By entering the STF Festival you agree that the festival may use your film/s for promotional and publicity purposes pertaining to the current years festival. STF may also make a copy of films that are selected to screen for exhibition, and may also be used for media review purposes.