Shenandoah County is located in a very rural area of Virginia where the opportunity for arts and cultural events are limited. The Strasburg Film Festival strives to provide our local economy a boost, as well as festivalgoers a unique look into the creative minds of you, the film community. We hope that maybe someone in the audience will become inspired to choose a career path into the arts.
More importantly, all proceeds will go to the theatre programs from within the Shenandoah County Public School District. From there, those funds will be distributed to the schools across the county where the focus is on creating or enhancing drama/theater-related programs.
We will have unique trophies to hand out to the category winners. Our town was founded on the basis of pottery, so we will be giving you unique pots that will resemble what was made when our town was founded in 1761.
We are now accepting submissions for the Strasburg Film Festival.
Our Festival strives to present the most interesting and thought-provoking films. We seek out films that both entertain audiences and challenge them to widen their perspectives.
Submissions can only be made online at filmfreeway.com.
NOTE: Choose one category for your submission. If you choose multiple categories you will be disqualified.
The Strasburg Film Festival the main event that we - 501 (3) c Shenandoah Film Collaborative, Inc. (The Organization) - put on each year for our residents in Shenandoah County, Virginia as well as anyone who would be willing to travel to our humble community.
This is an all-volunteer organization, and any funds that are donated or raised is given back into programming or to our charity of focus, which is explained further on down.
We decided to use the word “Collaborative” in our organization name because it embodies what we aim to achieve – for us to become successful we need multiple parties to work together for producing an excellent product.
We want to show the next generation that there are many ways of expressing one’s interests.
Our organization serves Shenandoah County, Virginia, which is New Market to Strasburg and everywhere in between.
We have two areas of focus:
1) Offer opportunities for residents to experience the wonders of film and filmmaking that is not a byproduct of Hollywood. We use our extensive movie catalog and connections with filmmakers to:
- Increase economic development for businesses
- Raise funds for non-profits or civic organizations
- Enhance educational curriculum for entities that have expressed an academic interest in filmmaking.
2) Raise funds and awareness for the Shenandoah County Public School System theater/drama-related programming.
In early November we host the Strasburg Film Festival. This is an annual event within the town of Strasburg, VA that encourages filmmakers to submit their works of art so that all people will have an opportunity to enjoy their creativity. When we mean “all”, we achieve this by keeping ticket costs low or offering free tickets to families who are on a tight budget.
3. Notification of Series Status
The Organization will inform all entrants whether their submissions have been accepted or not through FilmFreeway
4. Entry Fee
There is no fee.
• The Festival accepts submissions that fit into the parameters that are established in each category.
• All submitted material must have a copyright date of 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, or 2015,
• All films whose original language is something other than English must be subtitled or dubbed into English
6. Selection Criteria
• The action of the film should be stories that are culturally authentic, timely, and of universal appeal.
• Film content should be creative, highly original, and demonstrate artistic and technical mastery.
Content must not include:
• Excessive or gratuitous violence, nudity, or profanity as we will be showing these films in an outdoor setting.
• Content that advocates and supports racial, cultural, religious, or gender bias.
7. Formats and Print Traffic
Upon acceptance into our Film Series, the Event Manager will contact the submitter about appropriate exhibition copies of their film.
Acceptance is determined by several citizens from within our area.
All correspondence to the Shenandoah Film Collaborative management, including entry forms and support materials, must be in the English language.
The Festival/Event Committee and Shenandoah Film Collaborative Board of Directors reserve the right to rule on cases not covered by these regulations.
Screening fees will NOT be paid by the Shenandoah Film Collaborative for usage.