A Top 100 Best Reviewed Festival of over 7,000 festivals on FilmFreeway!
"5 stars and all thumbs up! There was something special about this festival; a sense of professionalism, comradeship and fun and something else…warmth and light and an embracing spirit." - Bob Belinoff
* SSIFFF is an IMDb qualifying event
** also NOW OPEN for submissions - our sister festival Central States Indie FanFilmFest, Rock Island, IL, May 2019 **
From Austin to Charlotte and Miami to Baton Rouge, SSIFFF is an International film festival that also celebrates the creative talent and diversity of the American Southern States. We are dedicated to REAL INDIE FILMMAKERS - not the big studio spinoffs calling themselves as such. FanFilmFest is held in Biloxi, Mississippi, a historic coastal town 90 minutes from New Orleans and 60 minutes from Mobile, AL.
Although FILMS WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM AROUND THE WORLD, additional categories are open for submissions from the following Southern States: Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Arkansas.
SSIFFF celebrates the diversity of Americans along our beautiful southern coast - the longstanding Spanish traditions of Texas and Florida, French Creole and Cajun cultures of the former vast Louisiana territory, and the continually evolving cultures of southern blacks and whites. The Southern States are as gloriously diverse as any region on Earth. So in addition to our general call for submissions, we are issuing a call for films with innovative, progressive and balanced stories from and concerning women, peoples of Latin, African, Asian and Middle Eastern descent, Native Americans, LGBTQ community, Seniors and Spanish Language films.
SSIFFF 2019 will be held Jan. 7-10, 2020 at Biloxi's Palace Casino Resort. It boasts fantastic film viewing rooms, very reasonably priced hotel rooms, a golf course, pool, spa, numerous restaurants and bars, and close proximity to the Hard Rock and other Biloxi entertainment venues.
SSIFFF's RED CARPET AWARDS CEREMONY on Friday evening is a four hour event and will be a night to remember - four-course meal, table wines, film clips, photo ops, and awards throughout the evening. You won't want to miss it!
We are very excited to meet you and to review your creative gem. We understand how precious each film is to its creators and we will work with you and the growing Southern States Film Community to cultivate your craft in the coming months and years. OUR PROMISE - to diligently endeavor to empower INDEPENDENT filmmakers and celebrate film creativity and DIVERSITY in the Southern States and around the world!
ALL SUBMISSIONS are eligible to be nominated for genre, role and crew categories as determined appropriate by judges, for example Comedy or Horror, Actor or Actress, and Director or Cinematography.
ATMAN AWARD FOR DIVERSITY IN FILM - we will honor one film for portraying the integration of diverse sentient beings via story line and/or casting. Atman, the innermost spiritual essence, signifies the one life force shared by all living creatures.
BEST OF FEST - given to the overall winner chosen by our judges from all submitted films.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE - Diversity is also encouraged by offering foreign language winners in many categories (must be subtitled in English).
STUDENT FILMMAKER - anyone 18 and under, or a college student (verified by student ID) please submit at student rates for automatic eligibility for student awards.
Awards given for each submission category; genre awards - for example Comedy, Foreign Language, or Horror; and craft - Cinematography, Soundtrack, Director, etc., as well as Talented New Director, and Talented Student Filmmaker.
MUSIC CATEGORIES, FILM POSTERS, and TRAILERS - only films that specifically submit to one or more of the Soundtrack, Song, Music Video or Trailer categories will be judged for those awards. Selected Trailers and Music Videos will be screened.
Our beautifully ENGRAVED BRONZE MEDALLIONS will be given at the awards banquet. Some categories will have multiple awards, such as Southern States, and Foreign Language, as the judging panel deems appropriate. SSIFFF and the judging panel reserves the right to remove a category or to add additional categories as they deem appropriate.
All entries and submissions to Southern States Indie FanFilmFest can be made through FilmFreeway. See categories for specific lengths. Films not in English must be subtitled in English.
If you meet requirements for a Southern States submission category, your film will be judged in the more narrow category while still eligible for top festival awards.
If your film is selected in only a MUSIC category - Soundtrack (Short or Feature), Original Song with Lyrics, Original Song Instrumental, we reserve the right to screen it in part.
By submitting your film you have read and agreed to all SSIFFF submission rules and these terms and conditions. If you have any further questions, please contact us via the email link.
1. SCREENING FEES - The Southern States Indie FanFilmFest, LLC does not pay screening fees. By submitting your film via FilmFreeway you acknowledge that the festival will not pay to present your work.
2. SUBMISSION - All works must be submitted via FilmFreeway as an online screener. FilmFreeway allows you to upload the film or provide a link for a host site such as Vimeo or Youtube.
3. ONLINE SCREENERS must have working links and passwords throughout the submission process. It is your responsibility to notify us if any changes are made.
4. COMPLETION DATE - Entries must have been completed on or after January 1, 2016 unless previously unreleased or submitted as an Experimental, Art House, Film Noir, or Silent Film entry.
5. PREMIERE REQUIREMENTS - currently there are no premiere requirements, however feature length films that are viewable by the general public online will be disqualified. We do not discriminate against shorts or mid-length films that are available to the public online, but many festivals do, so it is suggested that public release be delayed until you have completed your film festival run. Password protect the online viewer to guard against this issue.
6. WORKS IN PROGRESS (other than those entered into "Works in Progress" category) are accepted but PLEASE READ: While you may submit the final edit up until the extended deadline, your original submission should be a fair representation of your final piece as our judges will be making their initial decisions based on it. When your final edit is complete, simply send us an email letting us know. If the film is substantially changed please re-submit the following year.
7. All works selected must be available and downloadable (by us) by December 16, 2019 for inclusion in the 2019 festival.
8. REFUNDS - SSIFFF does not issue refunds for submissions received.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By entering your film for consideration for the Southern States Indie FanFilmFest, you authorize that your work is cleared for festival exhibition and accept full legal responsibility for the intellectual property therein. Entry into the festival constitutes permission to exhibit your work at the Southern States Indie FanFilmFest, LLC is also hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the Southern States Indie FanFilmFest, LLC, Mississippi Sound Film Productions, LLC and all of their agents from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered. The Southern States Indie FanFilmFest, LLC may opt to withdraw your work from the festival at any time for any reason. The Southern States Indie FanFilmFest, LLC DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEES. By submitting your film via FilmFreeway you acknowledge that the festival will not pay to present your work. SSIFFF reserves the right to disqualify any submission without refund of submission fees. SSIFFF does not issue refunds.
Entering your film for consideration in the Southern States Indie FanFilmFest is, hereby, your digital signature of agreement to posted Rules & Terms.
Response from festival:
Thanks Joshua! We really enjoyed getting to know you and Andie and your excellent work. We hope to see more of it in the years to come. Concerning the venue, there are still not a lot of smoke free restaurants and bars in Mississippi, especially ones with an intimate setting with great viewing rooms. We may well have outgrown the Palace after this year, but of all the Biloxi locations we researched, this one seems the best for our young festival. Thanks for the input! Mike and Susan