The City of Edinburg Library & Cultural Arts, in an effort to promote the visual arts and the growing Film industry in the Rio Grande Valley, has developed an annual selective film festival, the South Texas International Film Festival.
The STXIFF is an annual event that strives to showcase the work of visionary filmmakers from all over the world. Based in Edinburg, Texas, STXIFF showcases local, regional, and international films that have a unique voice and style. We strive to bring together local filmmakers and artists to help connect the South Texas Film industry with the world.
This year, the Festival will run from September 5th through September 8th of 2018 for its fourth edition.
This year, the Festival will run from September 4th through September 7st of 2019 for its fifth edition. The submission guidelines for the 2019 South Texas International Film Festival (henceforth also referred to as “Festival” and “STXIFF”) are as follows:
1. Call for entry for the 2019 STXIFF will open on November 5th, 2018. Final submissions close at 11:59 PM on April 14th, 2019. Deadlines will have four different final dates:
a. Early Bird Entry: November 10th, 2018 – December 16th, 2018
b. Regular Entry: December 17th, 2018 – March 17th, 2019
c. Late Entry: March 18th, 2019 – April 14th, 2019
2. All genres and subgenres are accepted, as long as the STXIFF Committee considers they align with the mission and vision of the Festival.
3. Feature films must be between sixty (60) minutes and one-hundred and ten (110) minutes in length, including credits. Short films must be between two (2) minutes and thirty (30) minutes, including credits. DISCLAIMER: films will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis but might not be selected if they fail to meet these requirements.
4. In order to be eligible for competition, films must have been completed no earlier than January 1st, 2017. Films completed before this date, will not be selected for competition but may be selected for a showcase.
5. The competing film must be a Rio Grande Valley premiere and must not be available online or physically for purchase, renting, or free streaming. If the film has been publicly screened elsewhere in the area, it will not be considered for competition. You may have your film online but private (i.e. password or private link). This excludes non-higher ed. Rio Grande Valley student films.
6. Film submissions will be admitted only through Film Freeway or Withoutabox.
7. The minimum requirement for selected films is H264 in MP4 format. If selected, the deadline to submit your film, poster, and trailer will be Sunday, June 30th of 2019 before 11:59 PM. Failure to submit all three (3) items will result in the film being disqualified from selection and competition.
8. Films which do not have English as their original language must have English subtitles included in the film screener and final projection file.
9. Works in progress will not be accepted.
10. Non-Higher Ed. Students, i.e. high school students, will enter competition under the Student RGV Category.
11. Each of the following categories can be either in documentary or narrative format. The Festival accepts animation for any category and format. If either of the categories fails to meet a quota of entries which the STXIFF Board Members consider is too low, then said category will be eliminated from the competition. These are the competition categories for the 2019 STXIFF:
a. Narrative Feature Film (International, National & Texas)
b. Narrative Short Film (International, National, Texas & RGV)
c. Documentary (Feature Film & Short Film)
d. Animated (Feature Film & Short Film)
e. Student Films (Texas Student & Student RGV)
12. These are the prizes that will be awarded this year at the 2019 STXIFF:
i) Best International Feature
ii) Best National Feature
iii) Best Texas Feature
iv) Best International Short
v) Best National Short
vi) Best Texas Short
vii) Best RGV Short
viii) Best Documentary Feature
ix) Best Documentary Short
x) Best Animation Short
xi) Best Student Film – Texas Student
xii) Best Student Film – RGV Student
xiii) Best Feature Film Director
xiv) Best Short Film Director
xv) Best Texas Actor
xvi) Best Texas Actress
xvii) Best RGV Actor
xviii)Best RGV Actress
xix) Audience Award (Overall Feature Film)
13. A Jury of industry professionals will determine the winners of each category previous to the start of the Festival. The decisions will be final and unappealable and will be announced during the Award Ceremony on September 21st, 2019.
14. Volunteers, staff, and employees of the STXIFF, Dustin Sekula Memorial Library, City of Edinburg or Edinburg Arts Foundation may not participate in any of the films which compete for an award. This includes but is not limited to actress, actor, director, writer, producer, or any other member of the production team of the film. If the producer and/or director wishes to appeal a crew member’s conflict of interest, they may do so by contacting the STXIFF staff no later than April 21st, 2019. The STXIFF will review the appeal and give a response no later than May 10th, 2019.
15. By submitting your film, you grant permission to the Festival to use up to thirty (30) seconds of your material for Festival promotion, in case your film is selected. This includes the poster, trailer, and if need be sections of your film for promotion and the awards ceremony.
16. For marketing purposes, we require all films selected also submit their poster and three (3) stills of the film by July 1st, 2019. Films selected must submit trailer no later than the aforementioned date.
17. Any other situation not considered in these submission guidelines will be reviewed by the South Texas International Film Festival.
18. By submitting to the Festival, you are allowing us to screen your film at an encore presentation of STXIFF after the main event is over, in case your film is awarded a prize.
19. We recommend you carefully review these guidelines and please email email@example.com if you have any additional questions.