Soura Film Festival is a queer film festival which takes place in Berlin, with a focus on the Middle East and North Africa region.
Soura—which means ‘image’ in Arabic, is about sharing a vision of life that is joyful, poignant, defiant and unique.
The festival's mission is to create a safe and welcoming space for LGBTQ+ filmmakers from the MENA region who are often shunned or persecuted in their home countries. It is very essential that the voices and stories of these filmmakers be heard, instead of being silenced and censored.
The festival's mission is to create a safe and welcoming space for LGBTQ+ filmmakers from the MENA region who are often shunned or persecuted in their home countries. We believe it is essential that their voices and stories should be heard, instead of being silenced and censored.
Soura Film Festival is currently accepting entries for its 3rd edition in Berlin, from October 1 - 4, 2021.
Rules & Regulations:
1. The film must be of LGBTQI+ interest or depict LGBTQI+ characters.
2. Films from other countries not included in the MENA region can also participate as long as their stories resonate with the MENA region (e.g. a film from the United States which is directed by an Arab filmmaker or its protagonist is from the MENA region).
3. If the original language of the film is not English, the film must have English subtitles.
4. Submitted films must be from 2017 - 2021.
5. Submitted films must be accompanied by the entry form provided on FilmFreeway.
6. Filmmakers wishing to submit rough cuts for consideration must clearly note that the film is a rough cut, and must supply the completed film before acceptance is finalized.
7. We give preference to films that didn't have a commercial premiere in Berlin.
MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region includes:
United Arab Emirates