Soura Film Fest is a queer film festival with a focus on the Middle East and North Africa region.
Soura—which means ‘image’ in Arabic, is about sharing a vision of life that is joyful, poignant, defiant and unique.
The festival had it’s first edition in October 2019 at Sputnik Kino in Berlin.
Our main mission is to create a safe and welcoming space for LGBTQ+ filmmakers from the MENA region who are often shunned or persecuted in their home countries. We believe it is essential that their voices and stories should be heard, instead of being silenced and censored.
The 2nd edition will take place from October 1 - 4, 2020 in Berlin, which has been called, perhaps somewhat ironically, the new cultural centre of the Arab world.
What is true is that this great melting pot is home to exiles and expats from across the MENA region, drawn here by the freedom to share, create and be themselves.
Soura Film Fest is currently accepting entries for its 2nd edition in Berlin, from October 1 - 4, 2020.
1. The film must be of LGBTQI+ interest or depict LGBTQI+ characters.
2. Films from other countries not included in the MENA region can also participate as long as their stories resonate with the MENA region (e.g. a film from the United States which is directed by an Arab filmmaker or its protagonist is from the MENA region).
3. If the original language of the film is not English, the film must have English subtitles.
4. Submitted films must be from 2017 - 2020.
5. Submitted films must be accompanied by the entry form provided on FilmFreeway.
6. Filmmakers wishing to submit rough cuts for consideration must clearly note that the film is a rough cut, and must supply the completed film before acceptance is finalized.
7. We give preference to films that were not premiered commercially in Germany.
MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region includes:
United Arab Emirates