Soura Film Fest is a queer film festival focused on the Middle East and North Africa region.
Soura—which means ‘image’ in Arabic, is about sharing a vision of life that is joyful, poignant, defiant and unique.
Our mission is to create a safe and welcoming space for LGBTQI+ filmmakers who are often shunned or persecuted in their home countries - their stories too often suppressed or censored. We believe it is essential that these voices be heard and these visions shared.
The festival's first edition will be set at Sputnik Kino in Berlin, Germany from October 11th till 13th, 2019.
Berlin has been called, perhaps somewhat ironically, the new cultural centre of the Arab world. What is true is that this great melting pot is home to exiles and expats from across the MENA region, drawn here by the freedom to share, create and be.
Soura Film Fest aims to step across borders and set aside political conflicts, to weave together those threads that connect queer experience throughout the vibrant and complex MENA region.
Soura Film Fest is currently accepting entries for its first edition in Berlin, from October 11 - 13, 2019.
1. The film must be of LGBTQI+ interest or depict LGBTQI+ characters.
2. Films from other countries not included in the MENA region can also participate as long as their stories resonate with the MENA region (e.g. a film from the United States which is directed by an Arab filmmaker or it's protagonist is from the MENA region).
3. If the original language of the film is not English, the film must have English subtitles.
4. Submitted films must be from 2017 - 2019.
5. Submitted films must be accompanied by the entry form provided on FilmFreeway.
6. Filmmakers wishing to submit rough cuts for consideration must clearly note that the film is a rough cut, and must supply the completed film before acceptance is finalized.
7. We give preference to films that were not premiered commercially in Germany.
MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region includes:
United Arab Emirates