The SLATE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL aims to be one of the most inclusive film festivals out there, and is open to filmmakers of all backgrounds, locations, or affiliations. Our goal is to give everyone a platform to showcase their best work with an international audience, who shares the same passion for films. ★ IMDb Qualifying Festival ★
SLATEIFF is run by a team of seasoned actors, casting directors, producers, and filmmakers. It is an independent film festival created to reward creativity and talent. Quite often we hear filmmakers limit themselves by thinking they do not have the right equipment, or the money or all sorts of excuses, so we created SLATEIFF as an opportunity to discover talented filmmakers and demonstrate that there is no need for expensive equipment or a big budget to make a movie, and that some amazing award-winning movies can be made on a mobile phone, a passionate team, a lot of coffee, and some sandwiches. That's the spirit of independent filmmaking that we love, and that spirit is our motivations behind the SLATE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL.
In 2021, the festival runs from March to September, and winners will be announced in October.
- 20 March 2021: The submissions in all categories open (exclusive discount for FilmFreeway GOLD members).
- 20 April 2021: The first month of submissions is EARLY BIRD.
- 1 September 2021: The submissions in all categories close.
- 5 September 2021: The Official Selections in each category are announced.
- 5 October 2021: The Winners in each category are announced.
For more information and news about SLATEIFF, please follow us here:
This year's jury joins us from around the globe:
- Philippe Joly: actor, filmmaker, festival director and organizer. (Hong Kong)
- Temur Mamisashvili: stuntman, actor, member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team. (Beijing)
- Mike Leeder (a.k.a. Big Mike): casting director, producer, actor, HK cinema expert. (Hong Kong)
- Owen Fitzpatrick: best-selling author, actor, filmmaker. (New York)
- Semiquaver Iafeta: actor, former international rugby player. (Hong Kong)
- Anthony Roussel: actor, filmmaker. (Paris)
All selected films will will receive the Official Selection Laurel to display on their posters and social media, and we will help promote and give accolades to all official selections on our own social media channels.
The winners in each category will be announced on October 5th, 2021. All the winners will receive their personalized award for their category sent by post after the event. All the winners will also receive printable winning certificates and their Winner Laurels to display on their posters and social media, and we will promote and give accolades to all winners on our own social media channels and website. Additional cash prizes and prizes offered by sponsors will be announced shortly.
The selected projects will be placed in the appropriate category, and we will pick the winners in the following categories:
BEST FEATURE FILM
BEST SHORT FILM
BEST MOBILE FILM
BEST STUDENT FILM
BEST ANIMATED FILM
BEST HONG KONG FILM
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST FIRST FILM
BEST YOUNG TALENT (<21)
MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS AWARD
THE JURY PRIZE
The SLATE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL is very inclusive and aims at showcasing the work of a diverse community of filmmakers of all backgrounds and countries, and films about any topics (LGBTQ, race, politics, religion, addictions, social issues, mental health etc..). However, there are a few ground rules to follow:
- Original work: The film submitted must be an original production. It may not infringe on the copyright, trademark or other rights of any individual or organisation. This includes having full clearance for all content, including music. Copyrighted material is NOT accepted, unless there is a written permission to do so (SlateIFF will not be liable for any copyright material unlawfully used).
- Length: The festival is open to both Feature Films and Short Films for the generic categories (e.g. Best Actor/Actress, Best Director etc...) some categories however may be specific to either feature or short film.
- Editing: We allow the use of any software (on either a smartphone or a computer) to edit the video and audio as well as colour correction or special effects.
- Production: The use of any equipment is allowed, including (but not limited to) external microphone, lenses, lighting, tripod, home made devices etc...
- Previous streaming: We accept films that have been published online elsewhere before submitting to SlateIFF.
- Multiple submissions: It is allowed to enter multiple films.
- Keep it clean: As a rule of thumb, no extreme violence, or extreme nudity, or racist content is allowed. There is an exception for violence, within reason, in the BEST ACTION FILM category.
- Subtitles: The SLATE International Film Festival is open to filmmakers from any countries, and submissions in ANY LANGUAGE are welcome, however if the film is not in English, then English subtitles are mandatory (films in English don't need subtitles).
- BEST MOBILE FILM Category: In this category, the entire film MUST BE shot on a mobile device (smartphones, tablets, GoPro). Multiple mobile devices can be used, but DSLR, compact cameras or hybrid android cameras are NOT ACCEPTED.
- BEST STUDENT FILM Category: This category is reserved to students. Proof may be requested upon submission.
This is pretty much it! We are looking forward to seeing your creative projects.
If you have any queries, feel free to check our terms and conditions here: https://www.slateiff.com/rules.html or contact us.
Response from festival:
Hi Mark, there were not enough qualifying films in the mobile section (and in a few other sections too), so we removed this section for the finals. Sorry for the inconvenience. We tried to have as many sections as possible to be inclusive and give a chance to as many filmmakers as possible. But in the end, we are depending on the submissions received.
SLATE IFF Organizers