Sixty Egyptian Pounds
Aspiring rapper Ziad and his family have long suffered at the hands of his abusive father. However, when tensions reach a boiling point, Ziad takes it upon himself to end his family’s suffering once and for all.
Completion Date:September 15, 2023
Country of Origin:Egypt
Country of Filming:Egypt
El Gouna Film FestivalEl Gouna
MAD SolutionsSales AgentCountry: WorldwideRights: All Rights
Amr Salama is an Egyptian filmmaker and screenwriter who was born in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and is a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
He began his career by primarily directing short films and commercials before eventually working on several feature films that found a lot of success in the festival circuit and widely-popular series, including:
● 2004 AL SHAHADA (short)
● 2006 THE ADVERTISEMENT (short)
● 2008 ON A DAY LIKE TODAY (film)
● 2011 ASMAA — world premiered at the Abu Dhabi International Film Festival, where it won Best Arab Director before winning another two awards at the Fribourg International Film Festival (film)
● 2011 TAHRIR 2011: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE POLITICIAN — scored UNESCO’s CICT-IFTC Award at the 68th Venice International Film Festival and numerous other international awards (documentary)
● 2014 MADE IN EGYPT (film)
● 2014 EXCUSE MY FRENCH (film)
● 2016 Seven episodes of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE ARABIA (late night show)
● 2017 DANGEROUS CROSSINGS, THE MAKING OF A CAMPAIGN (short)
● 2017 SHEIKH JACKSON — world premiered at the 42nd Toronto International Film Festival, opened the first edition of the El Gouna Film Festival, and was Egypt's official submission for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards (film)
● 2018 TAYEA (TV episode)
● 2020 PARANORMAL — the first-ever Egyptian Netflix series
● 2021 BIMBO (series)
● 2021 BARA EL MANHAG — screened at the Hollywood Arab Film Festival (film)
Working on 60 POUNDS was a liberating and refreshing experience. As a follower and fan of the Egyptian hip-hop scene, I was amazed by its grassroots authenticity. I was curious to explore this art form and the background of its leading artists and to add the storytelling element to it in order to take this authenticity and turn it into a compelling story.