Shortcutz Amsterdam provides a platform for emerging DUTCH film talent to showcase their work, engage with their audience, and connect with the established professionals of the industry. Every week, we screen two short films by up-and-coming directors and the work of an established Dutch director, actor or producer. At the end of each screening, the filmmakers engage in a discussion with the audience.
The sessions take place every Tuesday, between 20:00 and 22:30 in de Kring (Leidseplein). The sessions are open and free. All the movies are subtitled in English and the Q&As are in English too in order to connect the city’s international community with Dutch cinema.
COVID-19 Update: in 2021, our weekly sessions will run:
▪ From the beginning of May 2021 until the end of June 2021
▪ From the beginning of September 2021 until November 23rd 2021.
### JURY TEAM ###
Our Jury team is currently composed of: producer Jan Harlan (The Shining), Director Creative Talent Investment & Development for Netflix International Originals: Christopher Mack, actor Tygo Gernandt (Van God Los); director Hany Abu-Assad (The Mountain Between Us), director Roel Reiné (Marvel's Inhumans); actress Willeke van Ammelrooy (Antonia's Line); director Eddy Terstall (Simon); Marina Blok, Head of Drama ntr; actor Vincent van Ommen (Amsterdam Heavy), EYE senior programmer and head of acquisitions René Wolf, actress Sigrid ten Napel (Penoza), and street-artist Laser 3.14.
Every year we select the Best Film of the competition at Shortcutz Amsterdam Annual Awards, where we award the winner with €15.000 towards the production of a new short film. The winners of nine other film-related categories are also announced by top names of the film industry.
Please read carefully before submitting your movie. We accept movies that follow all of these rules:
▪ films related to the Netherlands (Director or Producer must be from the NL or living in ▪ the Netherlands for more than 5 years or have an NL production company)
▪ directed by an up-and-coming filmmaker (before the first feature film - more than 70 minutes)
▪ produced in the last 12 months to the date of the submission
▪ with less than 20 minutes in length (can be 20 minutes + credits)
▪ the Q&A is mandatory with at least 1 member of the main team
▪ your film must be subtitled in English (if it's in another language than English)
// please mention how your film is related to the Netherlands in your submissions if you are submitting from another country, otherwise, we cannot accept you in competition.
Submission fee is not reimbursable.