Attention filmmakers: Short Circuit returns in 2019 with another showcase of films from around the Pacific Rim!
THE ONLY "PACIFIC RIM" FILM FESTIVAL IN THE WORLD!
2018 was our biggest festival yet, breaking records for submissions, audience attendance, and visiting filmmakers. We started it off with a glitzy party high atop the Chateau Victoria, and presented 28 films in 3 screening programs with over 25 visiting filmmakers in attendance. We also screened the first film created through our CINE⚡️SPARK program, held a live pitch showdown with the new recruits, and crowned the 2019 winner!
For Short Circuit's 7th anniversary, the 2019 festival promises to be bigger and better than ever.
If you're a filmmaker from a region bordering the Pacific Ocean, then you are invited to submit your short film for consideration. We are looking for great films made after January 1, 2017 in all genres with a maximum running time of 20 minutes.
- - -
And for the screenwriters: CINE⚡️SPARK is back again, and we've increased our prize package, now valued at over $15,000!
Each year, CINE⚡️SPARK awards a hefty production package of cash and in-kind equipment rentals and services to the production of an outstanding short film script by a writer/filmmaker from Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands in British Columbia, Canada. The Top 5 will pitch their projects at Short Circuit in May 2019, and one winner will receive the production package! Please see www.cinevic.ca/cinespark for full program guidelines.
- - -
Short Circuit and CINE⚡️SPARK are presented by CineVic, located in Victoria, British Columbia's beautiful capital city on Vancouver Island. Victoria is on traditional unceded territory of the Coast Salish Indigenous peoples, and is surrounded by historical landmarks and natural landscapes sure to captivate any traveller.
Victoria was recently named the #3 Top City in Canada by Travel + Leisure and one of the Top 10 Best Cities in the World by Condé Nast, while Canada was picked as the #1 destination country for Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2017.
- - -
Why should you submit your short film or script?
• Opportunities for jury and audience awards, and a production package worth over $15,000.
• Have your work viewed and celebrated by up-and-coming Vancouver Island producers, writers, directors, and actors.
• You may have missed an opportunity to submit to the Victoria Film Festival, or your film was not accepted.
• Support both international and local film in the Pacific Rim and Canadian arts scenes.
• Get an opportunity to visit Victoria during our best Spring weather, before the Summer tourists arrive!
• Outstanding International Film
• Outstanding BC Film
• Outstanding Documentary Film
• Outstanding Director
• Outstanding Cinematography
• Outstanding Art Direction
• Outstanding Screenplay
• Outstanding Performance
• Outstanding Sound
• Outstanding Music
• Outstanding Editing
• Audience Choice
Short Circuit rules:
1) Entries and submission fees are only accepted via the FilmFreeway online portal.
2) Film submissions are only eligible from residents of the following locations:
• British Columbia or Yukon, Canada
• Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, or Hawaii, USA
• Australia, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea
• Japan, Russian Far East, North Korea, South Korea, Pacific Coast Provinces of China, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Taiwan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Thailand
• Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Pacific Coast States of Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru
• Entries truly originating from outside of these states/provinces/countries will be deleted. NO REFUNDS.
3) Entries may be fiction, documentary, animation, experimental, or other genre. Films must be in English OR contain English subtitles. Film running time must be maximum 20 minutes including credits. Only films completed after January 1, 2017 will be considered.
4) Films which are publicly available to view online are not eligible.
5) Only films which are selected to screen at the festival will receive notification, no later than April 1, 2019.
6) If selected for screening at the festival, the filmmaker will be required to submit the following:
• Minimum two high-resolution film stills
• One high-resolution Director's headshot photo
• Brief synopsis of the film
• Film exhibition copy in high-resolution Quicktime format
• Film trailer in high-resolution Quicktime format and/or online link (if available)
7) Once a film has been selected for the festival it may not be withdrawn.
8) Screening fees will only be paid to Canadian films/filmmakers which are selected to screen at the festival.
9) One representative from each selected film will be provided with a pass to all festival events.
10) Your submission of this entry form confirms that:
• You have the legal right to represent and submit this film for consideration along with your acceptance of Short Circuit film festival regulations.
• CineVic, Short Circuit, and CINE⚡️SPARK are not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, or royalty infringements related to the work.
• You agree to allow the festival the use of your film and its publicity materials (including name, photo, and bio of Director) for promotional purposes.
- - -
• The CINESPARK production program is open to anyone residing on Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands. Eligibility will be determined by the address stated in the submitter's FilmFreeway profile.
• Entrants must submit a complete short film script in standard screenplay format with the writer’s name and contact info REMOVED.
• You may submit as many scripts as you wish, but only one script per writer/submitter will be allowed in the Top 5.
• Scripts may be 10 pages maximum, not including title page. Scripts must be an original work and must be live-action narrative in any genre. (Documentary, animation, or experimental films are not eligible.)
• Submissions are judged based on both creativity and feasibility of production.
• We are unable to provide feedback on either successful or unsuccessful script submissions.
• The Top 5 finalists will be announced on or before April 1, 2019. These 5 Writers must then form their teams with a Director and a Producer for the pitch event. The Writer may fill 2, but not 3, of these key positions. The Top 5 will be required to submit a headshot photo and bio of each team member for promotional purposes.
• Teams will pitch their projects at Short Circuit in May 2019 (exact date and time TBA). Any one or a combination of all three team members (Writer, Director, Producer) may participate in the pitch presentation. Teams will be allowed 5 minutes maximum for their pitch (including any video component), followed by a 5 minutes maximum Q&A period with the jury.
• The winning team will receive: a $1,500 cash grant; up to $13,500 of in-kind CineVic equipment rentals toward production of the submitted film; $100 Modo driving credits toward production van rental; production insurance with 10 consecutive days of coverage; and a one-year complimentary CineVic Production Membership. Total package is valued at over $15,000 (no cash value).
• The winning team will enter into a Production Agreement with CineVic Society of Independent Filmmakers and will be required to provide the completed film by April 1, 2019. The members of the winning team may not change after the pitch.
• The cash grant will be released via cheque in two instalments: 75% will be released upon signing of the agreement, and the remaining 25% will be released upon receipt of the finished film and promotional materials. If the film is not completed or provided by the deadline, all monies received by the winning team must be repaid to CineVic.
• The winning team will be required to capture behind-the- scenes photos/video of their film production, including photos which depict use of the Modo van.
• CineVic will maintain first rights to a Victoria premiere screening of the finished film.
• Any key members (Writer, Director, Producer) of a winning team may not submit to, nor participate in, future instances of this competition.
• CineVic reserves the right to cancel this program and refund entry fees.