Shine Global, the non-profit media company behind Academy Award-winning and Emmy Award-winning films, has launched the Children’s Resilience in Film Award and Screening Series. The first-of-its-kind award will honor the preeminent filmmakers who masterfully highlight and celebrate the inspiring strength, creativity, and power of children across the world. Amidst an ongoing pandemic that has disrupted everyday life and social-emotional development for billions of children globally and a humanitarian crisis that has forced hundreds of thousands of children and families to flee Ukraine, the Children’s Resilience in Film Award seeks to shed much-needed light on the uplifting, inspiring stories of children who offer global audiences hope and the talented filmmakers who tell them.
Five nominees, all feature length films released in the last year, will be selected and announced later this summer. An esteemed jury composed of leading film industry experts, children’s rights activists, and distinguished youth voices will select the winner. The five nominees will screen their films in New York City from September 15th to 18th. The winner will be announced at a VIP awards show breakfast in Los Angeles, California and will be awarded a $25,000 cash prize on October 20th.
The inaugural 2022 Children’s Resilience in Film Award is sponsored in part by The Hollywood Reporter, who will uplift these powerful, culture-shifting films to receive the recognition they deserve.
Call For Entries Key Dates:
Wednesday March 16, 2022: Call for Entries Opens
April 1, 2022: Earlybird Submission Deadline
May 1, 2022: Regular Submission Deadline
May 31, 2022: Final Submission Deadline
September 15-18: NYC Screenings
October 20, 2022: LA Awards Show
$25,000 CHILDREN'S RESILIENCE IN FILM AWARD
After the screenings in NYC, all nominees are invited to the Awards Breakfast in Los Angeles, CA October 20th, 2022 where the winning film, as selected by the jury, will be announced and awarded a $25,000 cash prize.
All 5 nominees are invited to attend the NYC events in September as well as the Awards Breakfast in LA in October. Travel and lodging for the nominated filmmakers to both NYC and Los Angeles will be provided.
I. APPLICATION OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. The following terms and conditions (the “Terms”) govern the submission of a film (the “Film”) to Shine Global Inc. (“SG”), through filmfreeway.com (“FilmFreeway”), for consideration for the Shine Global Children’s Resilience in Film Screening Series and Awards (the “Festival”). To the extent that this document is inconsistent with any other document prepared by SG or anyone else, this document will take precedence. Any questions about these Terms should be directed to email@example.com.
II. SUBMISSION AGREEMENT
1. By submitting a Film to SG for Festival consideration, the submitter (the “Applicant”) represents and agrees that they have (a) read, understood and agreed to the Terms, (b) The Applicant is duly authorized, on their own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights, licenses or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights or distribution licenses) in or relating to the Film (collectively and separately hereafter called the “Film’s Owners”), to permit SG to exhibit this Film in the Festival and to make the promises, representations and warranties set forth herein, (c) exhibition of the Film in the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity, whether such exhibition is theatrical (live), digital, via television in any form or any other type of media or combination thereof; and (d) the Film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Film the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
2. The Applicant further represents and warrants, on behalf of the Applicant and the Film’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Film in the Festival as authorized by this agreement will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Film does not and will not constitute or include any defamation of any person or entity. All license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film in or in connection with the Festival , have been and will be timely paid in full by the Applicant.
3. Submissions fees are in US dollars and are non-refundable.
4. SG may disqualify or reject, but is not required to do so, any submission that it determines, in its sole and absolute discretion should not be included in the Festival, including, but not limited to, any Film that is not in compliance, in whole or in part, with these Terms, and SG may do so without refunding any submission or other fees paid by the Applicant or returning any materials submitted by the Applicant. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, if any person connected to the Film is involved in, or alleged to be involved in, any situation or occurrence which subjects such person to public scandal, disrepute, widespread contempt, or public ridicule, that violates SG’s code of conduct, or that will tend to shock, insult or offend the community or public morals or decency or prejudice SG in general, then SG shall have the right, in its sole discretion, at any time, to take any action it deems appropriate, including but not limited to excluding such person from attendance at the Festival and/or disqualifying the Film from participation in the Festival.
III. SUBMISSION ELIGIBILITY
1. Films submitted to SG for Festival consideration under these Terms must be eligible under the requirements set forth below.
2. Films that do not meet the eligibility requirements will not be considered by SG.
3. The eligibility period includes any feature length film with a minimum running time of 70 minutes (fiction, documentary, or animated) completed or scheduled to premiere between September 1, 2021 and December 31, 2022. Films may choose to submit in any year they are eligible—either the calendar year in which they are completed or the year of their broadcast or theatrical/film festival premiere. Submissions may be withdrawn from the Festival any time before the nominee announcement. To withdraw a Film from the Festival, the submitter must contact firstname.lastname@example.org before the official nominees announcement.
4. All Films must be submitted as online screeners via FilmFreeway (as described below).
5. SG shall solely and in its complete discretion determine any questions regarding eligibility or the submission of any Film, including any interpretation required of specific rules or submission criteria.
IV. PROCESS FOR SUBMISSION
1.All Films must be submitted in accordance with the procedure outlined herein. SG may, but is not required to, disqualify or reject any Film that is not submitted as set forth herein.
2. To submit a Film for Festival consideration, an Applicant must: (a) complete the registration process at FilmFreeway and pay the required fee as outlined in article V.(2) below, and (b) provide to SG an online screener via FilmFreeway for review by SG programming staff. SG will not accept submissions in any other manner or format, including: DVDs, content burned to Read/Write (RW) discs, Blu-ray discs, external online links, downloadable files, or trailers.
3. Applicants should test their online screeners thoroughly before submitting them, and ensure their online screener remains active on FilmFreeway until October 21, 2022. The Applicant has sole responsibility for ensuring that the submitted online screener plays in its entirety. The screener must contain English subtitles if the original language is not English. If SG is unable to view the online screener, SG may attempt, but is under no obligation, to contact the Applicant in order to obtain a replacement online screener.
4. SG will not review multiple versions of a submitted Film. Only one version of the Film may be submitted. If multiple versions are submitted, SG will only view the version that was received first.
5. Screeners will not be returned.
6. SG is under no obligation to contact the Submitting Party should the Applicant not have adhered to the rules, set out in Articles I and IV herein. Submission fees are non-refundable.
V. SUBMISSION DEADLINES AND FEES
1. In order to be eligible for consideration, submission screeners must be submitted online via FilmFreeway, with a FilmFreeway registration completed and all fees paid, by the deadlines outlined below.
2. Submission fees and deadlines for 2022 are as follows:
NOTE: All fees are denoted in US dollars.
Early-bird submission deadline & fee – April 1, 2022 (11:59 pm EDT)
Standard submission deadline & fee - May 1, 2022 (11:59 pm EDT)
Final submission deadline & fee – May 31, 2022 (11:59 pm EDT)
3. SG may revise submission deadlines in its sole and absolute discretion at any time.
4. Submission fees are non-refundable
1. SG will consider for inclusion in the Festival all eligible films that have been submitted by the above deadline and in accordance with these Terms. SG reserves the right to consider for inclusion in the Festival, and include in the Festival, films received at any time and through any means, channel, or process, including means, channels, or processes other than those outlined in these Terms. Nothing in these Terms or otherwise requires SG to select for Festival inclusion any of the Films submitted through the process outlined in these Terms.
2. All selection decisions are at the sole and absolute discretion of SG, and are final and unreviewable. SG is not required to provide any feedback, comments, or reasons, or any other information, regarding the selection or non-selection of any submitted Film or the process by which Films are or have been selected. SG is not responsible or liable for its selection decisions; for the contents of any internal comments or feedback regarding the Film that are or may be obtained from the Applicant or anyone else; for any lost or technically non-compliant Film; for any communications by any representative of SG relating to the Film or the Festival selection process; for the manner in which the Film shall be, is, or was considered and reviewed; or for any failure on the part of the Festival to provide the Applicant or anyone else with information concerning SG’s consideration and/or review of the Film.
3. SG will notify by June 30, 2022, all Applicants who have been selected to participate in the Festival. All Applicants who are not selected to participate in the Festival will be contacted by email on or around June 30, 2022. SG will contact Applicants using the contact information provided in the FilmFreeway registration form. Applicants are responsible for providing correct and functional contact information. SG is not responsible for any failed attempts to contact Applicants using the contact information provided and a Film may be disqualified if Applicants do not respond to SG within five business days of being notified of selection.
4. In the event that the Film is accepted by SG for inclusion and exhibition in the Festival, selected films must supply SG with (a) an exhibition copy (“Exhibition Copy” or “Exhibition Copies”) of the Film by August 15, 2021, in a Theatrical Screening Format and/or Online Screening Format, as specified by SG upon invitation. Note that delivery requirements are different based on format. All non-English language films will be required to provide content with English subtitles and (b) materials needed to create the Nominee clip reels. A clip from each nominated project will be created by SG for inclusion in the nominee clip reel to be used for marketing the Festival and/or to be played during the awards show. If your submission is nominated, you agree to provide:
● A textless version of the trailer delivered as a high-resolution QuickTime file.
● Permission to use all delivered materials during the event and for any publicity and promotional purposes related to the Shine Global Children’s Resilience in Film Awards.
The Applicant hereby grants, on behalf of itself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to SG, the Festival, any Shine Global Related Parties, and any media partners without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) The right to exhibit the film in front of a live audience, not more than 2 times in each of New York and Los Angeles as part of the overall Festival event (b) The right to make the Film available on a streaming basis for virtual viewing as part of virtual Festival events (c) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Film for promotional purposes; (d) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the Film and all personnel related to the Film; and (e) to use the names, likenesses and biographical information of all Film personnel, including, without limitation, director(s), producer(s), writer(s), cast member(s) and crew in connection with the exhibition of the Film in, and promotion of, the Festival and the promotion of SG.
VII. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, LEGAL CLAIMS, AND INDEMNITIES
1. By submitting the film to SG, the Applicant and Film Owners (the “Submitting Parties”) hereby warrant and represent that: (i) the Film is wholly original and is not copied from and does not include any other work that is the subject of copyright or other protection, unless such work is in the public domain or the Submitting Parties have obtained any and all consents, releases, licenses, and other authorizations or waivers of any kind necessary for the inclusion or reproduction of any person, character, location, thing, trademark, sound recording, musical composition, or other work in the Film; (ii) the Film does not defame any person or violate the common law or statutory rights, including, without limitation, the rights of privacy and publicity or any other right of any person; (iii) the Film is not the subject of litigation or any dispute that may give rise to litigation; (iv) there are no agreements, nor will there be any agreements made subsequent to the date of this Film submission, that would or could have the effect of impairing the Submitting Parties’ ability to provide the Film as contemplated herein, or otherwise conflict with any provision of these Terms; and (v) the Submitting Parties have the full right, power, and authority to submit the Film to SG for Festival consideration, and to grant all of the rights granted hereunder and in the FilmFreeway registration form, including, without limitation, the right to screen the Film in Festival venues and/or digitally on SG’s online screening platform, and there is no prior obligation or impediment which would in any way impair or restrict the Submitting Parties from fully performing all obligations pursuant to the submission and these Terms.
2. The Submitting Parties agree to indemnify and hold harmless SG, its licensees, successors, and assigns, and its and their members, officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, associates, volunteers, and affiliates (each, a “Releasee”), from any claim, suit, action, or other proceeding brought against a Releasee and from any losses, costs, or damages, including the Releasee’s full legal fees and costs, which it may have suffered or incurred or may suffer or incur, directly or indirectly based on, in connection with, or arising from the use, handling, consideration or exhibition of the Film submitted by the Applicant, including, without limitation, the decision to exhibit or not exhibit the Film, which decision shall be in SG’s sole and absolute discretion, or the breach or alleged breach of any representation, warranty, or other agreement made by the Applicant in these Terms, or in the Applicant’s FilmFreeway registration form. The sole remedy for any claim by an Applicant is a claim for damages. No Applicant shall be entitled to claim or receive injunctive relief of any kind.
3. In the event that the Film is accepted by SG for inclusion in the Festival, the Applicant acknowledges, on behalf of the Applicant and the Film’s Owners, that SG’s exhibition or presentation of the Film in the Festival does not and will not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between SG on the one hand and the Applicant and/or the Film’s Owners on the other. The Applicant further acknowledges, on behalf of itself and the Film’s Owners, that neither the Applicant nor any of the Film’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation, although some Festival prizes may include cash awards. The Applicant acknowledges that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, SG or the Festival in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of SG’s selection of the Film for the Festival. The Applicant and the Film’s Owners understand and acknowledge that the selection of the Film for inclusion in the Festival does not and will not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by SG or the Festival of the content of the Film or any opinion expressed therein.
VIII. SAFETY AND RESPECT
1. A cornerstone of SG’s belief system is that everyone has the right to respect, as well as fair and equitable treatment from others. SG does not tolerate discrimination, mistreatment, or harassment — verbal, physical, sexual, or otherwise — towards staff, Volunteers, delegates, audience members, attendees at any of our festivals, conferences, or events or in any correspondence with staff, including during the submission process. Our staff and Volunteers are committed to ensuring the best possible experience for all of our attendees. SG reserves the right to rescind an invitation to participate in the Festival for those who engage in such conduct.
IX. COVID-19 HEALTH AND SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
1. Due to the ongoing pandemic and its changing landscape, the nature of the 2022 Shine Global Children’s Resilience in Film Screening and Award may change. We are exploring all options including the possibility of a hybrid of digital and physical screenings.
SG will continue to monitor and communicate to our filmmaking community all developments of the pandemic as it affects the Festival, and will adhere to the guidelines and recommendations made by government health officials. Guests invited to the Festival for any in-person events understand that they must follow the health and safety instructions directed by the government and facilitated by SG, and must disclose if they have been experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19, or have tested positive for COVID-19, for the safety of all SG guests, staff, and patrons. SG may revise its COVID-19 guidelines and policies at any time in accordance with the recommendations of public health officials and other experts in this field. SG reserves the right to deny admission to any person who fails to adhere to the policies in place at the time of the Festival. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. Guests voluntarily assume all risks related to the exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold SG liable for any illness that may result.
1. SG reserves the right to rule, in its sole and absolute discretion, on cases and situations not foreseen by these Terms or to modify these Terms at any time.