This is a major contest and festival for screenwriters and playwrights worldwide, sponsored by FINAL DRAFT and POSTERITY ENTERTAINMENT.
We encourage you to visit our website for full information.
Our next festival and awards ceremony will take place from 11am-6pm (UK-time) on Sunday 12 May 2024 at THE RONDO THEATRE in the city of Bath, UK, known for its Roman Baths and Georgian architecture.
Bath is one of handful of entire cities to be inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site on two counts (in 1987 for its hot springs, Roman archaeology, Georgian buildings and natural landscape setting; and in 2021 as one of the Great Spa Towns of Europe). We're very proud to be based here.
GUEST SPEAKERS (2024's to be confirmed)
We're thrilled to say that JOHN HODGE spoke in 2023. He's the BAFTA-award-winning screenwriter of films including Trainspotting; T2 Trainspotting; A Life Less Ordinary; The Beach and Shallow Grave, and a playwright whose first piece for the stage, Collaborators, won the Olivier Award for Best New Play .
Our second speaker was the wonderful LUCY V HAY of Bang2Write, a script editor/reader, consultant and novelist renowned for sweary, no-nonsense writing and networking tips, as well as her blog for screenwriters, novelists and freelance writers. Lucy's non-fiction books include 'Writing & Selling Thriller Screenplays', 'Writing & Selling Drama Screenplays' and 'Writing Diverse Characters for Fiction, TV and Film'. Lucy's debut novel, 'The Other Twin', was featured in The Sun and Sunday Express as well as Heatworld and Closer magazines, and she is currently adapting it for Emmy-nominated producers Free@Last TV.
CATEGORIES AND PRIZES
There are categories for screen, stage and audio/podcast scripts of all shapes and sizes, with laurels for Quarter-Finalists, Semi-Finalists and Finalists, and trophies for winners of all categories.
FINAL DRAFT is sponsoring us again in 204, so the winners and runners-up in all categories will receive a copy of FD13, the latest version of their world-leading software.
Additionally, via our relationship with film, theatre and multi-media producer POSTERITY ENTERTAINMENT, we will - at our discretion - forward exceptional full-length play scripts and feature screenplays scripts to them, potentially resulting in an exciting route-to-production. Except this time, there's no premium price for this!
WHO ARE WE?
SCRIPTWRITERS & CO (aka S&Co) is run by script consultants who have been writers all their working lives. We have thousands of subscribers, a vibrant Facebook presence and have judged thousands of script entries. We know what we're doing.
Evidence? The quality of work we select for our legendary S&Co Scratch Nights; the script notes we've offered winners in front of hundreds of audience members; and the client feedback you'll find below and on our website.
We're always knocked out by the high-quality pieces submitted, and by the overwhelming support we've had from established, emerging and new writers.
THIS ISN'T A FUR COAT AND NO KNICKERS CONTEST, OFFERING NOTHING BUT ANNOUNCEMENTS.
Being SCRIPTWRITERS & CO, we offer live entertainment, too! At the festival, professional S&CO ACTORS will perform excerpts from finalists' work, from micros to pilots to features.
We also offer opportunities for networking and chatting scripts with people who study or work in the performing arts, from all over the world.
Our main competition offers categories for screenwriters and playwrights.
Additionally, we offer recorded ZOOM PERFORMANCES by S&CO ACTORS, which can take place at any time of year. You may also order a recorded performance or script coverage here OR (better for us!) via our main website at http://scriptwritersandco.com/.
GENERAL ENTRY INFORMATION
We will publish lists of Quarter-Finalists, Semi-Finalists and Finalists on our website and in social and other media. Finalists will be invited to attend the Festival on 12 May 2024 free of charge, where winners will be announced.
CATEGORIES AND SUBMISSIONS
To ensure no unconscious bias, we recommend you submit your work ANONYMOUSLY. Your first page should only show the script's title, your email address, mobile/cell phone number, and a logline if you wish.
By entering, you agree that we may add your name and email address to our mailing list. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Your script must be:
– In English
– Formatted to industry standards, or so it's an easy read for us and our actors - the BBC offers some handy downloads
– Devoid of watermarks (we have zero interest in copying your work, and it will not be seen by anyone except our readers and judges)
– Appropriate for your category's character or page count (the latter doesn't include the title page, or a play's cast list)
– In PDF format, with ONLY its title in the file name.
– Our readers are hired for eclectic tastes, excellent noses for a superb script and clear, objective judgement, whatever the genre or subject matter. We interview and train all members of our reading team, so they know exactly what to look for.
– S&Co's judging principles are straightforward and will take concept, plot, story arc, pace and tone, characters, stakes, heart and logic into consideration, as well sheer enjoyability.
– We will announce Quarter-Finalists and Semi-Finalists before selecting 2-8 Finalists in each category, whose scripts will be read and assessed by at least four judges, including Zanna Cardash and Alex Hollister.
RULES, REGULATIONS & ELIGIBILITY
– Judges' decisions are final and we will not engage in any discussions about them.
– By entering you confirm that you are over 18, have read and accept our rules and requirements, have copyright of the work you submit and are happy for us to add your name to our mailing list (you may unsubscribe at any time).
– Entries must be entirely original, free of plagiarism and not based, in whole or part, on another writer’s work (unless the underlying material is in the public domain).
– As well as category winners there will be a further prize for 'Best Script in Festival'.
– Quarter-Finalists, Semi-Finalists, Finalists and Winners will receive S&Co laurels. Winners who attend the event will receive S&Co trophies; those who cannot attend may have their trophies posted to them at their own expense. All winners and runners-up will receive a copy of FD13, the latest version of Final Draft's industry-leading software.
– You may enter more than one script in any category, upon payment of the appropriate fee in each case. We cannot offer discounts for multiple submissions.
- You may re-enter scripts you have submitted in previous years.
– We cannot be held responsible for scripts entered in the wrong category, so please check that your script meets the criteria and page count, and pay the correct entry fee.
- We do not accept revisions or issue refunds except in exceptional circumstances (and never once a script has been assessed by one or more of our readers), so if you have entered a script and then wish to submit a revised version, you must pay the fee again.
– All qualified submissions will be given equal opportunity and decisions will be based on the script alone. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or disability.
– It is the writer's responsibility to register copyright if they wish to, and by entering you confirm that you understand that the organisers, judges or other writers may already have had, or be working on, similar ideas for storylines and scripts. S&Co cannot and will not be considered liable for the production, now or in the future, of any such scripts, films or plays that bear a simililarity to work you submit.
– S&Co reserves the right, at any time, without notice and without limiting any and all other rights we may have under these Rules & Regulations, at law or in equity, to remove and delete any entry that does not meet our terms, without offering any refund. This may also apply to any content we consider libellous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic or sexually, racially, culturally or ethnically offensive, harassing, intimidating, threatening, hateful, discriminatory or abusive.
– By submitting your script, you allow S&Co to use your script's title, as well as your name and image, for promotional purposes, on social media, on our websites and elsewhere.
– Should we receive a limited number of high-standard submissions in any particular category, we reserve the right to withdraw that category and/or move your submission/s to another, with no refund owing.
– We accept scripts that have been entered in other competitions, and/or have been read, broadcast or performed in amateur performances or online, but not professionally produced. We reserve the right to disqualify scripts that breach this stipulation.
– Entering does not guarantee that your work will be placed. Neither does it secure you admission to the Festival. Finalists enjoy free entry but must travel to Bath at their own expense, and their guests will need to buy a ticket to attend.
– You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Scriptwriters & Co (S&Co) and our management, employees, judges, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates etcetera from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages and expenses (including but not limited to legal fees, and costs of the court) that may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, the screening or publishing of recordings or stills of performances at the Festival, and so forth.
– SCRIPTWRITERS & CO retains copyright of all the information on this page and, while we are happy for you to spread news about the SCRIPTWRITERS & CO INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL and prizes, we retain copyright on all the words herein, and you are not entitled to copy, paste or otherwise use or repeat our words without our express permission.
Response from festival:
Madeline, many thanks for this wonderful endorsement of S&Co as a teaching organisation, as well as a contest and festival. You didn't even mention that the script you that won 'Best Mid-Length Play' was different from the one you wrote on 'Six Steps' (which, unlike S&Co's Scriptwriting Toolkit course, is moderated but, untutored, with fellow writers providing constructive notes and encouragement each month)! Big congratulations on both achievements!