The 14th Great Movie Idea and 12th Great TV Show Idea contests are searching for original feature film and television series concepts. Ideally, unique stories a global, diverse audience can connect with.
Accepted entries include loglines, synopses, video pitches, and series "bibles" for TV entries. Completed screenplays and pilots are not reviewed, nor are entrants required to have a finished script. You only need one spectacular idea, any genre.
For the winner, Script Pipeline provides additional development assistance to refine the pitch, or help the writer draft a polished screenplay. At that point, we circulate the material top studio producers, including execs from Energy Entertainment (Extant), Lakeshore Entertainment (Age of Adaline), Good Fear Film + Management (Rings), Madhouse Entertainment (Prisoners, The Ark), QC Entertainment (Get Out), and other major companies looking for new concepts. Note that all entrants, including the winner and runner-up, retain the rights to their submission.
Since 1999, Script Pipeline has established relationships with hundreds of production companies, managers, and agents, resulting in $6 million in specs sold from previously undiscovered writers. The Great Movie and TV Show Idea Competitions look to not only increase that total, but push worthwhile stories into production.
- $2,000 (each winner, Movie and TV, receives $1,000)
- Development sessions with Script Pipeline executives to get your concept ready for circulation
- Assistance in completing a screenplay or TV pilot script (depending on the writer’s experience level)
- Exposure to producers and other companies for potential development
- Review of additional pitches and material
Written or video submissions accepted.
For WRITTEN pitches:
- A two-sentence logline to a full treatment--entirely up to you on how to best present your idea. We don't judge on format, we judge on the idea itself. Supplemental materials (illustrations, etc.) are also allowed. The best format is usually comprised of a logline, half-page to a page-long summary, and any other notes or comments on the originality of the premise.
- Please do not send full scripts--summaries ONLY. Pitches may be emailed direct or uploaded.
- Remove your name and contact information from the documents prior to submitting.
Longer submissions are judged on the SAME criteria as short ones, so whatever length you think is best.
For VIDEO pitches:
- If not uploading direct, we prefer a private link on YouTube, Vimeo, or any other video hosting site or your personal website. *make sure to include the password, if private
- Videos can be any length, but shorter is typically better. Web series are also accepted, but our judges will only review the first episode and required pitch materials.
- Concept MUST be for a feature-length film or scripted television series. All genres allowed, with the exception of reality or game shows for TV.
- It is highly advised that you register your concept with the WGA prior to submitting, however it is not required. Script Pipeline will not share your idea with anyone unless you’re chosen as a finalist and give us explicit permission to do so.
- Previous Script Pipeline writers and former Idea contest entrants are welcome to submit.
- Goes without saying, but the concept needs to be WHOLLY ORIGINAL and not based on an existing franchise.
Full terms and official rules can be found here: http://scriptpipeline.com/great-idea-competition-official-rules