Our 2017 program is open for applications! Recharge your creativity in Jamaica while networking with top entertainment industry professionals, including Vice President of Production at SONY PICTURES, a literary manager from KAPLAN/PERRONE, the screenwriter of THE TOWN and HUNGER GAMES, and the showrunner of PRISON BREAK and the much-anticipated NETFLIX series LOST IN SPACE!
You’ll spend 5 full days of September 12-16 developing your feature film or TV screenplay at ScreenCraft’s Screenwriters Residency Program in partnership with the Calabash International Literary Festival and Jake’s Hotel in beautiful Treasure Beach, Jamaica.
Tuition is FREE if you’re one of four screenwriters who will be accepted into the full scholarship program. Apply below!
After the April 20th deadline, we will open for applications for 10 tuition-paying attendees. Price of tuition for paying attendees will be $2,300. Final application deadline for tuition-paying attendees will be June 1st.
What people are saying about the Calabash International Literary Festival:
“It is an extraordinary event. The audience is big, extremely appreciative, very focused. And the setting is spectacular.” – Salman Rushdie (Associated Press June 2014)
“Treasure Beach is untouched and almost defiant in its beauty, which is why every two years numbers of authors and lovers of words travel to this stretch of land for Calabash Literary Festival. Founded in 2001, the festival draws in top literary figures from all over the world to Jakes Hotel, and this year was no exception.” – Ebony Magazine June 2014
“Calabash is, in a nutshell, all that’s right with Jamaica.” – Wall Street Journal June 2010
This distinguished program will provide FOUR talented screenwriters with free tuition for the full week of mentorship, networking and screenplay development in beautiful Treasure Beach, Jamaica.
○ Applications for full scholarship attendees are accepted via electronic submission only until April 20th
○ Attendees must be available for the five days of September 12th-16th, 2017 to participate.
○ Application fee for this scholarship competition is $39 until the early deadline on March 30, then $59 until the final deadline on April 20th.
○ After the April 20th scholarship competition application deadline, the program will be open for tuition-paying attendees to apply via screencraft.org/jamaica. Writers who do not win the free tuition scholarship may join if accepted for the tuition price of $2,300. The application period for tuition-paying attendees will be 2 weeks, until May 4th.
○ All application fees and deposits are non-refundable.
○ All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
○ Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s). All writers must be credited on title page.
○ If a writing team is chosen, the attendance will be granted to both writers. Each will be responsible for tuition.
○ It is recommended that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition, however we do not require registration.
Contact info may be included on the cover page of the screenplay, however it is not required.
○ All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.