18th Sapporo International Short Film Festival and Market // Sapporo Short Fest 2023: HYBRID edition
The Sapporo International Short Film Festival continues to attract around 3000 entries per year across all genres cementing its reputation as one of Japan's largest and most respected showcases of short form cinema. The festival offers one of the best opportunities available for filmmakers looking to expose their creative works to large audiences and to submit for appraisal by high profile international jury members in the heart of the burgeoning Asian transnational film scene.
Since its inception in 2006, the festival has received more than 53,000 entries from 145 countries. The high volume of entries each year allows for the curation of an extensive and diverse array of programs of both Japanese and international films of the highest quality in various competitive categories. Selected films are professionally showcased, subtitled in Japanese, and screened in the state of the art cinema surroundings.
The Japanese and International programs in competition are complemented by specially curated programs by the festival and industry partners from around the world, an extensive selection of off- theatre Japanese shorts programs, along with numerous industry workshops and seminars.
The event date would be changed due to availability of venues.
Sapporo Short Fest on Youtube
The Grand Prix Film & Category Awards
Best Director / Best National Short / Best Hokkaido Short /
Best Contemporary & Experimental Short / Best Animation / Best Documentary / Best Mini Short (Under 5 min) / Best Non-Dialogue Short / Best Student Director / Best Original Score / Best Children Short* / Best Comedy*
*Best Children Short Award: Children jury who is under 12 years old will choose the award.
Nominated films are chosen from the Family & Children programme.
*Any documentary/drama shorts film ESG / SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) subject are very welcome.
Optional Awards: depending on the official selection
Best Screenplay / Best Editing / Best Cinematography / Best Actor, Actress / Best Child Actor, Actress
These awards are judged by high profile and influential creative talent and industry professionals invited to participate as members of its awards committee Jury each year.
SSF2022 award films
*** All the Ukrainian productions are free to submit. Please request a waiver code.***
1) Genre: All (including Music video)
2) A film less than 30 minutes including credits
3) Completed after January 1, 2022
4) No Screening fee for selected films
5) Accepting online and physical screening: Japan only or global(optional)
6) Screening formats Apple ProRes or H.264, No DCP
7) Screening and preview file must be subtitled in English if the main language is not English. No closed captioning.
8) All films must have an English/International title
9) If submitting the film, submitter or representative committed to the screening if the film is selected.
- Submission fee is non refundable
- By submitting to the Sapporo International short Film Festival & Market you accept and agree to entry regulations.
- Any SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) related subject films are welcome to accept.
NOMINATION AND SPECIAL SIDE PROGRAMMES
Selected official selection will be announced on the festival's official website.
Selected films will be notified personally besides public announcement.
INTERNATIONAL JURY AND AWARDS
The festival organizer will appoint 3 International jurors.
International competitive films are nominated for Grand Prix, category awards and additional special awards.
The prize money and merit will be depending on sponsors' support.