CELEBRATE OUR 60TH WITH US!
Filmmakers love our volunteer-run 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Est. 1959, Movies On A Shoestring, Inc., produces and presents the Rochester Int'l. Film Festival annually. It's the longest running, continually held Short Film festival in the world! No wonder we're oft voted "BEST Local Film Festival" despite stiff competition.
Selected entries appear at George Eastman Museum's Dryden Theatre (Rochester, NY). We foster a love of motion pictures by screening short films from around the globe which are rich in artistic expression. We also educate viewers in art and technique. This results in an eager reception for your cinematic creations.
Awards & Prizes
Rochester Int'l. Film Festival may not offer cash prizes but it delivers hospitality and recognition galore! We host filmmaker outings (private tours, trips, parties, etc.). We issue Certificates of Merit to films not screened but of notable technical or thematic quality and we list Honorable Mentions on our website.
AWARDS & PRIZES
• Distinctive Shoestring Trophy (films screened at the fest)
• Certificates of Merit (for films not screened but notable)
• Commemorative program (films screened at the fest)
• Accommodations assistance (films screened at the fest)
• Special lunches, dinners, tours, etc. (films screened)
• Filmmaker swag bags (films screened)
• Local press coverage (films screened)
• Critique Letter (EACH film submitted)
Rules & Terms
GENERAL GUIDELINES & RULES
+ Entries: 30 min. MAX
+ Genres: Open to most all genres
+ Payee: "Movies On A Shoestring, Inc."
+ Payment (USD only): PayPal, Check, International Money Order
+ Preview format: Online stream, digital download or DVD (NTSC, Region 1, Region Free)
When mailing correspondence or submitting films, include a copy of your Entry Form and ONLY use the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). We use a P.O. Box and CANNOT accept deliveries initated through any other courier.
- NO fee waivers availble (we're a nonprofit)
- NO episodes: Stand alone, self-contained works
- NO video components or fragments of larger works
- NO tapes or discs containing multiple entries (submit separately)
- NO late entries accepted (must be postmarked by stated deadline)
While your entry is handled with care, we DO NOT accept responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged entries.
SELECTION & SCREENINGS
Our selection process unfolds in (2) stages. First, each entry is viewed in its entirety by Screening Committee Members who discuss the film's merits and vote whether to advance it to Final Judging. Whatever the outcome, each filmmaker receives a detailed Critique Letter that sums up viewer impressions (with direct quotes).
After Preliminary Judging ends, a select panel of Final Judges views the advanced entries in their entirety again. Among those, official festival selections are identified. Each entry selected to screen at the fest receives our distinctive Shoestring Trophy. Selected filmmakers get assistance with lodging, meals and local transportation.
Because we DO NOT charge admission, our festival attracts large and enthusiastic crowds of film lovers. What little revenue we generate via submission fees, grants and/or donations defers costs associated with running, promoting and holding our annual event to give your film the absolute best chance for widespread exposure.
Films screen at the Dryden Theatre at George Eastman House in (4) distinct screenings over the course of three days each Spring. MOAS covers the cost of theatre rental and related insurance. Filmmakers submit their films time and again because of the special support and attention we give their work. Join them!
• $35 Entry fee applies if postmarked before December 1, 2017.
• $50 Entry fee applies December 1, 2017 to February 1, 2018.
• Entries MUST be postmarked by February 1, 2018.
• Our fest is open to films/videos of ALL genres.
• Entries CANNOT exceed 30 minutes in length.
• DVD entries: Region 1 or Region Free ONLY.
• Submit (1) entry per disc/digital download.
• Mail via USPS (vs. FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.)
OFFICIAL FESTIVAL SCREENING COPIES
Your official festival screening copy MUST be received 14 days prior to the fest.
The suggested postmark date is April 1. If the indicated format is not provided, your entry may not be shown so follow all guidelines and contact us with questions. To verify that we received your entry, submit a self-addressed, stamped postcard or request a confirmation e-mail. Thanks. We look forward to your submission!
MAIL YOUR DVD & ENTRY FORM TO:
Movies On A Shoetring, Inc.
PO Box 17746
Rochester, NY 14617
HAVE QUESTIONS? CONTACT US!
Voicemail: (585) 496-4433 | (585) 496-4IFF