Held in the most prestigious theater in Los Angeles at LA Live: Regal in a 300 seat theater: Rising Above was created by multi-award winning Producer/Actress/Writer Summer Moore to feature projects that “rise above” obstacles and challenges and empower a change. We are a hybrid evolving festival with the ability to shift it’s focus to issues that require a change. Again in 2018, we celebrate women who are working to make the world a better place through Film/TV, Music, and Fashion.
In 2017, many press venues were in attendance, including “Huffington Post” and "Getty Images."
As we strive to help advance women in their careers, we welcome projects to submit that have a woman: Producer, Writer, Cinematographer, or Director.
Watch films that rise above challenges, hear powerful speakers share their experience of rising above, and a red carpet that rises above others. All genders welcome!
Notable Attendees Include:
• Festival Founder/Actress - Summer Moore
• Celebrity Host/Actress/Comedian – Lisa Ann Walter
• Actress – Miya Cech (The Darkest Minds)
• Actress - Raegan Revord (Young Sheldon)
• Emmy-Winning Actress/Television Academy Performer’s Group Co-Governor - Patrika Darbo
• Forbes 30 Under 30 - Kaitlyn Yang
• Nickelodeon Star - Maya Le Clark (The Thundermans)
• Actress – Rosa Blasi (Strong Medicine)
• Actress - Scarlett Estevez (Daddy’s Home)
• Emmy-Winning Director - Mary Madeiras
• Actress – Mackenzie Hancsicsak (This is Us)
• Actress - Shiloh Nelson (Tomorrowland)
• Talent Manager – Cinda Snow
• ABC Talent Development Manager - Kristi Shuton
• Youtube Influencer - Gia Fey (Body by Gia)
• Youtube Influencer - Octavia Outlaw (Glamazontay)
• Youtube Influencer – Lesley Fightmaster (Fightmaster Yoga)
View our website to see some images from it and also LA Live Event page for more info:
The most important thing to an indie film is exposure, so the film is distributed worldwide and profits are made. At LA Live Film Fest/Rising Above Fest we award the winners just that. Marketing! Our promotions company, Big House LA, will market the films on over 37 Facebook filmmaker forums along with other social media sites, such as those listed below.
ALL Official Selections will receive Distribution with our partner Filmhub. They will receive free ingest, QC, storage, cataloging, promotion to channels, transcoding, delivery, collection and reporting with only a Twenty Percent (20%) revenue share. In addition, they will receive free translation of English captions into at least one foreign language (selected by Filmhub). Normally filmmakers have to pay aggregation fees and translation fees.
All award winners will win a reduction of their revenue share from 20% to 10% for the first year (coincident with the Commission Year, etc).
1. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via the participating submission platform FilmFreeway with a password-protected streaming URL.
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: Rising Above Fest is not responsible for the streaming quality of online screeners.
4. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival immediately with that change so we may update your record.
5.Rising Above Fest screens films as digital files from DCP during the Festival ONLY!
Originality and Permissions;
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you are acknowledging that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in the film, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. L.A. LIVE Film Fest expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
3. BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, THE APPLICANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
1. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished.
2. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by Rising Above Fest in connection with the dispute.
3. You MUST include your physical address either in your entry or in your cover letter. Please do not submit a film without giving us your address, which we need for our records.
Selected Films and Winners
1. Rising Above Fest has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: identities of screeners or judges notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or details regarding the submission review or selection process. All information regarding the rating process is through the FilmFreeway rating system provided by FilmFreeway
2. Winners will be announced on November 10th 2018. The judges’ decision is final.
3. Official selections will be announced prior to November 1st, 2018
4. All Films must have a DCP in order to be screened **no exceptions** and the ability to upload their DCP to a website prior to Oct 13th.