The Required Watching team is committed to finding, curating and promoting diverse short films of emerging and established filmmakers.
New in 2022 and 2023: Each submission can opt into one of two grant opportunities. On a rolling basis, as funds are available, filmmakers can opt into a $2,000 grant toward their next project. You can choose to opt in at the time of submission for free.
What wins us over is the story that is on the screen, not what gear is used or the budget. We will praise today’s indie filmmakers for taking steps, no matter how small, to realize their dreams. As a result, we strive for creative excellence in storytelling as we search the internet to celebrate those who make the craft look effortless.
Our dedicated team of Watchers is filled with award winning filmmakers currently working on the big and small screen who are committed to using their expertise to shine a spotlight on short films that are exceptional and recognize filmmakers that helm them.
Selected projects will receive:
- A review
- An interview (time allowing)
- Poster design for current or upcoming project
- An opportunity to pitch your next project to producers for financial or production support.
- An additional opportunity to win a grant for $2,000.
and let's not forget - laurels that show the world that you are One to Watch.
We look for great stories that brave new territory. We value great characters, interesting new worlds, and stories that surprise us over fancy visual effects, famous actors, or silly one-liners that often feed much of online videos. So when screening films, we tend to score them based on three attributes:
Short films: Under 40 Minutes: Films need to be 40 minutes or less.
Feature films: over 40 minutes.
All Rights Secured: We require films to have all necessary rights and releases secured for us to feature them. Yes, this includes music.
Free to View: We only select films that are free for audiences.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By submitting your project via FilmFreeway.com to Required Watching (known as ‘RW’) and use of the RW website (the "Website"), you hereby agree to be legally bound by the following Terms and Conditions (the "Agreement").
1.Required Watching is not responsible for the streaming quality of online submissions uploaded through FilmFreeway. If your entry is unable to be watched by our programmers due to issues with your upload, your film will be disqualified and no refund will be made. You are always free to include an additional private link through Vimeo or YouTube.
2.Films must have been completed no earlier than January 1, 2019.
3. Required Watching does not pay screening fees under any circumstance. By submitting your film, you are agreeing to screen your film online without a screening fee or any other compensation if selected.
4. If the entrant, for any reason, prefers NOT to have their film made available on the public Required Watching Online website, the entrant is responsible for notifying the competition administrators.
5. By submitting your film to Required Watching, you agree to the following COMPETITION CERTIFICATION:
I/We have read all of the Required Watching rules. I/We understand and have complied with these rules. I/We warrant the submission of my/our original work and there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission. I/We also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and I/we fully indemnify the Festival against any claim made for such violations of law. To the best of my/our knowledge, all of the statements herein are true and correct. I/We understand that failure to adhere to the Festival rules will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee. I/We agree to hold Required Watching harmless from and defend them against all claims, demands, losses, damages, judgments, liabilities, and expenses (including attorney’s fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on any film submitted to the Festival.
6. Entry fees must be paid in US Dollars and are nonrefundable. PLEASE NOTE: Required Watching does NOT waive entry fees. We understand the financial constraint of filmmaking and costs of submitting to festivals and have kept our fees low in order to allow the most number of submissions as possible. We hope you can find it in your budget to submit your film.
7. All entries will be acknowledged by email or through the FilmFreeway communication system.
8. Entry must be received by 25th of every month in order to qualify for the following month’s screenings
9. If subsequent to its initial consideration, the Festival determines that a submission no longer meets all of the criteria listed above, the submission will be designated ineligible and no refund will be issued.
10. Selection of an entry to Required Watching grants Required Watching the right to reproduce or utilize a portion of your entry, and your name and likeness for promotional purposes without compensation. Filmmakers are responsible for securing clearances or legal permission for the use of any copyrighted musical, cinematic, or literary materials. Submission of an entry to Required Watching does not guarantee that a work will be shown at the Festival. Required Watching reserves the right to refuse to screen any film online.
11.All rights to the submitted material will remain with the entrant. The contest administrators and operators DO NOT claim any rights to the material submitted to the competition.
- The submission period for each monthly festival begins around the 1st of each month and ends around the 25th of each month.
- The screening period for Official Selections begins on the 1st of the month following the submission period and ends on the last day of that month.
- All entries must be submitted online via FilmFreeway. Filmmakers must complete the online registration form in full prior to submission.
- Each entered film must be submitted separately and pay a separate submission fee.
- Selected films will be notified via email using the information provided on the submitted entry form. Changes in contact information may be made by contacting email@example.com . If your film is selected, the Festival will contact you regarding screening format requirements and related materials needed for the successful presentation and promotion of your project.
- Selected films wishing to be screened on our website must provide RW with a link or embed code from YouTube or Vimeo (or similar reliable video presentation platform).
- If the entrant, for any reason, prefers NOT to have their film made available on the public Required Watching, the entrant is responsible for notifying the competition administrators.
- Entrant must be 18 years of age or older. (Entrants between the ages of 13 to 18 may enter with a written letter of consent from a legal guardian.)
The content and design of the Website, including but not limited to the programming, text, images, artwork, photographs, illustrations, graphic material, video, audio, other copyrightable elements and the selection and arrangement thereof, are the property of Required Watching and/or its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or assigns and are protected, without limitation, pursuant to U.S. and foreign copyright, trademark and other applicable laws. The Website is also protected as a collective work or compilation under U.S. copyright and other laws and treaties, and all individual elements making up the Website are also copyrighted works.
By using the Website, you agree to abide by all applicable copyright and other laws, as well as any additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in the Website. You agree not to reproduce, publish, distribute, display, broadcast, circulate, rent, lease or loan this Website or any of its elements or content to any third party (including, without limitation, display and distribution via a third party website) without the express prior written consent of Required Watching. You agree not to disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, modify or create derivative works from this Website or its content for any purposes whatsoever. You further agree that you will not use any network monitoring or discovery software to determine the site architecture or extract information about usage or users, nor will you use any robot, spider, other automatic device or manual process to monitor or copy this Website or its content.
Any unauthorized use of this Website is strictly prohibited and may subject the offender to civil liability and criminal prosecution under applicable federal and state laws.
USE OF WEBSITE
Required Watching hereby grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-assignable and non-transferable license to access and use the Website for non-commercial and personal use only. You may not sell or modify the Website, and you may not reproduce, display, publicly perform, distribute, or otherwise use the Website in any way for any public or commercial purpose.
As an express condition of your use of the Website, you warrant to Required Watching that you will not use the Website for any unlawful purpose or purpose prohibited by this Agreement. If you violate any part of this Agreement, your permission to use the Website automatically terminates and you must immediately destroy any copies you have made of any material obtained through the Website.
RESTRICTIONS ON USE
You agree not to use, transfer, distribute or dispose of any information contained in this Website in any manner that could compete with the business of Required Watching.
You agree to protect the proprietary rights of Required Watching, Inc. and all others having rights in this Website and its content during and after the term of this Agreement and to comply with all reasonable written requests made by Required Watching or its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or suppliers to protect their contractual, statutory and common law rights.
You agree to notify Required Watching in writing promptly upon becoming aware of any unauthorized access or use of the Website by any party or of any claim that the Website infringes upon any copyright, trademark or other contractual, statutory or common law rights.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Required Watching, its parent company, subsidiaries and affiliates, their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, representatives, and third party providers from and against all losses, expenses, damages and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, resulting from any violation of this Agreement by you.
You agree to pay any and all costs, damages and expenses, including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs awarded against or otherwise incurred by or in connection with or arising from any such claim, suit, action or proceeding attributable to any such violation.
We respect the privacy of our users. We will not disclose any personal information about you or your use of our Website or services except to conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process.
ERRORS AND CORRECTIONS
Required Watching does not represent or warrant that this Website will be error-free, free of viruses or other harmful components, or that the information contained herein will be entirely correct. Required Watching may make improvements and/or changes to the Website's features, functionality and content at any time.
This Agreement and all matters or issues collateral thereto will be governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the Laws of the United States of America applicable to contracts executed and performed entirely therein (without regard to any principles of conflict of laws). You agree that any legal action or proceeding between Required Watching and you for any purpose concerning this Agreement or the parties’ obligations hereunder shall be brought exclusively in a federal or state court in New York NY, in The United States of America.