POETRY combined with film and video propels “REELpoetry/HoustonTX” 2023, an international, curated, hybrid poetry film festival taking place online and in person FEBRUARY 24-26, 2023 We explore this genre with poets, videograpers and filmmakers working solo or collaboratively, on a cell phone or in a studio, with new or remixed or previously created work. We're inviting open submissions, and also featuring screenings from invited guest curators, deaf poetry, films about poets or a particular poem, as well as Q&A with poets, videographers and filmmakers, networking, live readings, panel discussions, and more.
This year’s poetry film/ video festivalis not themed. Everyone is invited to submit their best work, created in the past or the present, up to a maximum of 6 minutes. Prizes will be awarded in three categories: poetry film/ videos under 4 minutes and poetry film/ video 4 to 6 minutes, plus an Audience Award. See Guidelines for complete details.
REELpoetry/HoustonTX is a project of Public Poetry (publicpoetry.net).
Prizes will be awarded in three categories: poetry film/ videos under 4 minutes; poetry film/ video 4 to 6 minutes and Audience Choice.
PLEASE READ BOTH GUIDELINES & RULES CLOSELY AND CAREFULLY
• Entries may either be brand-new or pre-existing work, or a repurposed combination of these two.
• The poetry can be your own, or a collaboration with poet, or used by permission of the poet or poets’ estate, or that is no longer subject to copyright.
• Filmmakers may use footage in the public domain from sites like Creative Commons (creativecommons.org)
• The film can be in any language but MUST include a translation or sense of the poem in English.
• Collaborations can also include other artists (dancers, musicians, illustrators, cartoonists, painters etc.), and art forms.
• All submissions must include closing credits on the screen.
• Enter CATEGORY 1 for work up to 4 minutes in length INCLUDING screen credits
• Enter CATEGORY 2 for work more than 4 minutes, up to 6 minutes in length INCLUDING screen credits
NOTE: Public Poetry monthly members receive a discount on the entry fee. and can submit at the student rate. Monthly memberships start at $8/mo. To join: http://www.publicpoetry.net/membership/
ONLY PUBLIC POETRY MEMBERS CAN SUBMIT AT THE STUDENT RATE
• You can submit in one category or in multiple categories as often as you like
• Each entry must be submitted separately.
• Entries will be judged by a panel of noted filmmakers, poets and community members
Reminder: Work selected by the judges for the Festival will be required to have the poetry either appear onscreen in English or be captioned in English.
By submitting to REELpoetry/Houston TX you acknowledge that work is yours, and that you have obtained permission(s) where required. You also agree to allow your work to be included in a curated series that may travel nationally and internationally.