The Portland Shorts International Film Festival is the largest short film festival in the state of Oregon and a springboard for the careers of filmmakers.
Portland Shorts is a non-profit organization that showcases the best short films from filmmakers around the world. After the festival, we strive to organize film markets to attract sponsors and distributors for projects, creating opportunities for the career development of participants.
We believe that short films and their creators should have their own premier film festival in Portland, deserving of the same recognition as feature films.
Portland Shorts is a place where films of all genres intersect. At the heart of the one-day festival is the quality and scope of an extraordinary film program, consisting of a wide range of categories from high-budget to low-budget films with a duration of less than 45 minutes.
The Portland Shorts International Film Festival will take place on November 4, 2023, at the Clinton Street Theater, 2522 Southeast Clinton Street, Portland, Oregon 97202, United States.
Best International Short Film
Best National Short Film
Best Animated Short Film
Best Documentary Short Film
Best Experimental Short Film
Best Student Short Film
Best Short Script
If any award category does not meet the standard deemed award-worthy by the judges, it’s possible there will be no award given in that category.
• Submitted films must have been produced during the two years preceding the festival date (not before September 2021).
• Films can be submitted from any country.
• Length of submitted films should not exceed 45 minutes, including opening and closing credits.
• By submitting a film for festival consideration, the submitter represents that they have obtained consent from any and all owners, creators, writers, producers, and/or other authorized representatives of the film whose consent is required to submit the film to the festival and screen the film at the festival.
• By submitting your film to the festival, you give permission to Portland Shorts to freely use clips from the film for promotional purposes (including trailer, brochures, and flyers).
• All entries in original languages other than English, or containing extracts that are not in English, must be subtitled in English.
• All selected films must be available to screen in HD or DCP Format.
• All applicants must fill in the submission form clearly. Portland Shorts is not responsible for incorrect wording in publications or awards if it is the result of inaccurate information in the submission form.
• Only complete submissions (including film and all film material) will be processed via FilmFreeway. It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete their submission by the deadlines outlined (see below).
• It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to clear all content of the project from any and all actual or potential legal claims and issues, including, without limitation, claims based upon theories of libel, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of rights of publicity, theft of trade secrets, breach of confidence, breach of confidential relationship, and breach of express or implied contract (“Third Party Claim(s)”).
• It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the contact information provided on the submission form is correct throughout the entirety of the festival selection period. The festival is not responsible for any failed attempts to contact applicants using the contact information provided.
• The festival will notify all applicants who have been selected to participate in the festival by September 5 at the latest. All applicants who are not selected to participate in the festival will be contacted by email by September 5 at the latest.
• The applicant and film owners hereby warrant and represent that:
◦ The film is wholly original and is not copied from and does not include any other work that is the subject of copyright or other protection, unless such work is in the public domain or the submitting parties have obtained any and all consents, releases, licenses, and other authorizations or waivers of any kind necessary for the inclusion or reproduction of any person, character, location, thing, trade-mark, sound recording, musical composition, or other work in the film.
◦ The film does not defame any person or violate the common law or statutory rights, including, without limitation, the rights of privacy and publicity or any other right of any person.
◦ The film is not the subject of litigation, or any dispute, which would give rise to litigation.
◦ There are no agreements, nor will there be any agreements made subsequent to the date of this film submission, that would or could have the effect of impairing the submitting parties’ ability to provide the film as contemplated herein, or otherwise conflict with any provision of these terms.
◦ The submitting parties have the full right, power, and authority to submit the film to Portland Shorts for festival consideration and to grant all of the rights granted hereunder and in the FilmFreeway registration form, and there is no obligation or disability which would in any way impair, restrict, or impede the submitting parties from fully performing all obligations pursuant to the submission and these terms.
The Portland Shorts International Film Festival reserves the right to change the date, time, or location of the festival at its sole discretion. In such cases, participants will be notified of any changes in a timely manner. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, such as natural disasters, public health emergencies, or other force majeure events, the festival may be postponed or rescheduled. Participants will be informed of any changes as soon as possible.
The festival organizers are committed to ensuring the best possible experience for all participants. If any changes to the date, time, or location of the festival are necessary, the organizers will work diligently to minimize any inconvenience to participants and provide adequate notice of any alterations.