The next Portland Music Video Festival will be held in the historic Hollywood Theater on Wednesday, March 7th, 2018. The Hollywood Theater is Portland’s grandest movie house, a nonprofit theater showcasing some of the most innovative film programming in the United States. It is located at 4122 NE Sandy Blvd. This will be the fifth year of the festival. Previous editions of the festival have included videos by artists like Cypress Hill, Band of Horses, Radiation City, Cherry Glazer, Gaslamp Killer, Passion Pit, Mean Jeans, Dita Von Teese, Bob Mould, Broken Bells, The Coup, Lost Lander, Helio Sequence, Kimya Dawson, Aesop Rock, as well as dozens of independent artists and bands. The festival was founded by professor, author and filmmaker Dustin Morrow.
Festival events includes full-bar networking opportunities for filmmakers and musicians; screenings of local, national and international music videos; and a Q&A with available filmmakers and musicians.
“Music video is the logical fulfillment of art and technological destiny. I see it as an artistic extension. I can visualize the day when the interface of music and video will create an entirely new kind of artist.” – David Bowie, in the early 1970s
On August 1st, 1981, MTV went on the air and broadcast the video for “Video Killed the Radio Star.” Truer lyrics were never sung. Music videos have influenced the manner in which television shows, commercials, and films are shot and edited. They have changed the methods by which music, film, and all popular media are marketed. They have altered the way that talent in the television and music industries is discovered and groomed. They have influenced politics, fashion, contemporary art, and advertising. And they have contributed to the development of a popular youth culture, forever altering the attention spans, the multitasking abilities, and the media savvy of young adults.
Music videos are the ultimate marriage of art and commerce; a breeding ground for up-and-coming filmmakers experimenting with their craft; a visual means of expression for musicians, singers, and songwriters; and the forum in which many of the greatest innovations in film and television production have started.
The Portland Music Video Festival is dedicated to celebrating the production of the music video, and nurturing the great partnership between the music and filmmaking communities in Portland and across the country. Although many festivals include them as a screening category, we are one of just a few festivals in America that focus exclusively on the art and craft of music videos.
Please read carefully the following terms and conditions regarding any submissions you make to the Portland Music Video Festival. In the following, “I” and “Submitter” refers to the Submitter, “Video” and “Material” refer to the submitted video(s), and “Festival” refers to the Portland Music Video Festival. You must accept these terms and conditions before your entry can be considered.
- I understand that I will be notified via email or via FilmFreeway by the Festival re: their acceptance or non-acceptance of my Video to the Festival. I have a working email address that I check regularly.
- I have all of the necessary rights/permissions to submit the Video to the Festival, and I authorize its public performance in the Festival. I acknowledge that the Festival is not responsible for any dispute of copyright or intellectual property that may develop between the Submitters and any third parties, including the artist represented in the Video, or the artist’s distributor and representation. I understand that the Festival and its sponsors and partners are not responsible for clearing publishing, performance or other rights for the music videos it screens at the Festival or utilize for Festival publicity, and that these things are the sole responsibility of the Submitter.
- I understand that any materials I submit to the festival will not be returned to me.
- I understand that the Festival will not provide any financial support for my attendance at the Festival.
- I understand that the Festival does not guarantee acceptance of my submitted Video.
- I understand that should my Video be accepted for screening in the Festival, that the Festival may request a higher-resolution copy of the Video than that which I submitted for review (this is common in the case of Videos submitted via sites like YouTube and Vimeo), and that if I fail to provide one, the Festival may screen the lower-resolution copy that I submitted, or cut the Video from the program at its discretion.
- I understand that my Video may be disqualified by the Festival for any reason deemed pertinent by the Festival.
- I understand that should my Video be selected for inclusion by the Festival, that the Festival may use my name, the artist/band’s name, and/or an image from the Video itself in marketing and promotional materials.
- I understand that should my submitted Video win an award and/or a prize at the festival, that the distribution of the prize, in the event that there are multiple Submitters, shall be the responsibility of the Submitters, and the Festival will not provide multiple prizes/awards because there are multiple Submitters.
- I understand that all information by the Festival, whether publicly posted or not, is subject to change without prior notice.
- I understand that all Festival decisions, including the inclusion or exclusion of my Video in the Festival, will be made solely by the Festival, and all Festival decisions are final.
- Legal Terms: I will indemnify and hold harmless the Festival, its organizers, judges, sponsors, and partners, individually and collectively, from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses, including legal expenses, arising out of or in connection with any and all claims, or third party claims based on the Material and Monies submitted to the Festival. All Submitters release and agree to hold the Festival and/or all other Festival-related entities harmless from and against any and all injuries, rights, damages, losses, claims and actions of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the Festival or participation in the Festival and any Festival-related activity, in perpetuity. All entrants release and waive any claims with regard to the Festival and agree to hold harmless the Festival and/or all Festival-related entities, including partners and sponsors, from and against any and all claims of any kind that are or could be asserted with respect to any Festival-related matter whatsoever, in perpetuity. All entrants further agree to indemnify, defend against and agree to hold harmless the Festival and/or all other Festival-related entities from any and all liabilities, damage, costs and/or fees incurred in defending against any third party claim(s) or threat(s) of claim(s) asserted against the Festival and/or all other Festival-related entities arising from any entrant(s) participation in or conduct associated with the Festival, in perpetuity. I understand that in the event of any legal dispute between the Submitter and the Festival, I under no circumstances will be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby irrevocably waive all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, and/or any other damages, including attorney fees, other than my actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with Submitting to the Festival), and I further irrevocably waive all rights to have damages multiplied or increased, in perpetuity. I understand that all taxes on or connected with any prize and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the winning Submitter(s). All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply.