The Pendance Film Festival wrapped its first year in front of over 300 people. As the festival expands and builds on its success, we move to a 4 day event for our next edition which will include feature films, and even more industry panels and networking events. We're dedicated to becoming a premiere destination for independent cinema. We prioritize writing, acting, visual literacy, and music over everything.
In our first year, we kept the bar of entry absurdly high, and audience members could be heard saying after the event that such a tightly curated lineup of films could rarely been seen outside of the top 5 festivals like Sundance. What we lacked in our first year was the time, sponsorships, and media attention to truly take this event to the level that the selection of films warranted.
In future editions, as the Pendance Film Festival continues to expand, we hope to become a very serious option for filmmakers, both at home and abroad looking to kickstart their festival runs. Story Over Everything.
Best Picture- A Prize awarded to the best feature film
Jury Prize: Best Short Film- Awarded to the best short film (under 45 minutes)
Audience Award: Best Film- Voted for by the audience in attendance
Best Director- Awarded to the best Director (short or feature).
RULES & SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES
1) Only films completed after January 1st, 2017 are eligible for the festival.
2) Pendance Film Festival only accepts films that are Toronto premieres. World premieres and Canadian premieres are given priority. For feature films, a Canadian premiere is a minimum requirement.
3) STUDENT FEES are only for current film school students or filmmakers who made films while enrolled in film school. In order to qualify for a student fee, please be sure to upload a clear copy of a student ID on the attachments section of your filmmaker profile.
4) Please do not change the screener link address or password of your submission. If you do, please notify us immediately or you risk your film not being previewed and thus considered for the festival.
5) Films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English. We prefer subtitles be burned into the submission copy.
6) In the event that your film is selected to play at Pendance, we will request one of the following formats; DCP for features, or a High Quality ProRes screener for shorts.
7. FEE WAIVERS; Pendance Film Festival will outright waive submission fees for any short or feature film that has screened at the following festivals; Sundance, Tribeca, Raindance, Austin, Berlin, Cannes, Venice or Slamdance. If your film has screneed at one of these festivals, please email us and submit under "Special Category" after receiving your waiver code.
8. Each submission will be watched at a minimum once, and all selected filmmakers will be notified of their inclusion in the festival no later than January 5th, 2019.
9. All submission fees are non-refundable. If your film does not fit our submission guidelines, it will be disqualified.
10. Press Kits are requested, but not required. Trailers are however required. If your film is selected, and a trailer is not available, Pendance will on your behalf create a clip no longer than 60 seconds for promotional purposes only.
11. Films must not be available online or be publicly available in the United States or Canada. If your film is available publicly and you still wish to submit for our special screenings, please email us. Do not submit your film, as it will be disqualified.
Filmmakers are encouraged to attend the festival. If you’re selected and intend to attend the event, please get in touch with us as soon as possible so we can arrange for complimentary passes and gala tickets. Each selected filmmaker is entitled 2 free passes, and 50% off for up to a maximum of 10 screening passes.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, THE APPLICANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished and will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because Pendance's focus is primarily on story and writing, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film. Should the film be accepted to play during Pendance, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the festival with their most recent version.
*GENRE RESTRICTIONS: While we’re open to all genres, if your film features excessive violence, gore, nudity or sexuality, please email to the festival before submitting to confirm it is eligible.