The Ottawa Vegan Film Festival is a trailblazing event dedicated to celebrating the vegan ideal: a healthier, compassionate, environmentally friendly lifestyle that can
be achieved through the consumption of plants and animal-free alternatives.
As the number of people who call themselves vegan grows exponentially around the world (a 500% increase in the last three years in the US), there is a huge appetite for information and insights into all aspects of vegan life: from the ethics of animal farming to the environmental and health benefits that come with a shift to plant-based eating.
The Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival will launch its inaugural screenings on October 14 at the Mayfair Theatre as the only known vegan film festival in the world.
In the years to come, the Festival will hit the road across Canada and around the world. It will not only showcase the talents of extraordinary filmmakers, but serve as a crucial link connecting the global community of vegans and inspiring non vegans to make kinder, and more informed food choices.
Awards & Prizes
Best in Show: Grand Prize
Health and Nutrition: Exploring the positive benefits of a vegan diet, what's involved in "going vegan"
Environmental Protection: How meat production harms the planet, and how plant based eating can help to save it
Animal Advocacy: How eating plants can break the chain of suffering that is endemic in factory farming and the role of animal activists'
Lifestyle: Vegan choices in clothing, travel and highlighting the ways that vegans spread their message through - activism, art, community etc.
1. Individual films can only be entered in one category but filmmakers may submit more than one film (in different categories).
2. The Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival reserves the right to make the final decision on the category of any film entered.
3. Awards may be presented to the director or the producer of the film. There is no guarantee that the jury will award a prize if its members do not feel that the work is of the quality required.
4. Winners will be announced during the award ceremonies on Sunday, October 14, 2018. The jury reserves the right to not present an award, and its decisions will be final.
5. A non-refundable fee of $40.00 must accompany each submission. It will be used to defray the cost of producing the Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival.
ENTRY DETAILS: Please ensure you read the Rules and Terms in their entirety:
1. The dispatching of any entry to the Festival implies acceptance of these procedures and regulations by the Entrant.
2. Films produced prior to the year 2015 will not be eligible for competition.
3. The same film may only be entered once in the Festival.
4. Entries can be of any duration - in either narrative, story, animated or experimental-art form - and can be submitted by professional or amateur filmmakers.
5. Filmmakers from any country may enter the Festival, and are encouraged to attend the Festival.
6. Entries with soundtracks in any language other than English MUST have English subtitles, be dubbed in English, or be accompanied by an English translation of the dialogue and/or narration. We recommend a sans-serif font with maximum readability against both light and dark backgrounds.
7. Screening fees will not be paid by the Festival.
8. All films submitted will be considered for subsequent screenings. If your film is selected, we will contact you to arrange a separate licensing agreement.
9. All submissions will be retained by the Festival for adjudication, on-demand and archival purposes.
10. The Entrant grants the Festival the right to copy and version the entry in its entirety to facilitate technical operations of the Festival, in and through any and all media formats now known or hereafter devised.
11. OIVFF may accept late submissions in its sole and absolute discretion. The Festival may also invite certain films and filmmakers, at its sole and absolute discretion.
12. If OIVFF is made aware of any concerns that a film does not constitute the original work of the applicant, then OIVFF has the right to contact the applicant and ask for evidence of the contrary. After careful consideration of said evidence, OIVFF's decision to allow the film to remain in the official selection or not is in its sole discretion and is final.
13. By submitting a film, the applicant represents that he or she has obtained consent from any and all owners, creators, writers, producers and/or other authorized representatives of the film whose consent is required to submit the film to OIVFF and screen the film at the Festival, and has read, understood and agreed to the Terms.
14. All participants release OIVFF, sponsors and their affiliates, partners and employees from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action for third party claims (including intellectual property claims), personal injury and/or damage, theft, or loss suffered in connection with this Festival or the use or acceptance of the prize or any portion thereof.
15. The Entrant grants the to the Festival for promotional purposes of the Festival and its activities in or through any and all media formats now known or hereafter devised, including, but not limited to, the Internet throughout the universe.
16. An admission charge will be made to the public in order to defray the costs of the Festival.
17. The Entrant acknowledges and agrees that all matters will be decided by Festival organizers or the Festival jury at their sole discretion.
18. The Rules and Terms & Conditions are subject to Canadian law and any dispute that is not resolved by consultation between the parties shall be referred to the courts of Ontario, Canada.
19. PARTICIPATION IN THE 2018 OTTAWA INTERNATIONAL VEGAN FILM FESTIVAL IMPLIES UNDERSTANDING AND ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS.
Submission form and screener file and/or link for selection must be accompanied by the following (to be used on the OIVFF website, if selected):
o Film stills - Entries MUST be accompanied by a minimum of three (3) high-resolution images from the film to be reproduced, published and/or exhibited for promotional purposes as they pertain to the Paddling Film Festival.
Preferred Format: Digital; 300 dpi jpeg and/or Tiff format; minimum size is 4" x 6" landscape or portrait. Please include a press kit if available.
o Trailer or film clips, full HD (1920 x 1080): file (Mov or MP4) and/or downloadable link
o Film posters (JPEG)
o Director's statement (max. 100 words)
o Director's bio (max. 300 words) and headshot