The theme of the 2018 edition:
OtherMovie 2018 - EconomicaMente (Economically Minded)
Ten years after the onset of the Great Recession, OtherMovie 2018 edition will focus on the economy
The crisis that hit towards the end of the first decade of the new millenium has – in one way or another – touched upon every continent and culture influencing international politics, altering lifestyles and affecting people’s everyday lives. At times it has put values and convictions under discussion.
Furthermore, internal and global security have always been threatened by the close link between terrorism and money.
There is therefore no shortage of nuances. Also, in line with tradition, this edition too will see each section of the Festival (music, visual arts, cinema, books, in-depth analysis and talks) dealt with from different perspectives and viewpoints, through films as well as moments of reflection and discussion, by picking up suggestions and looking across to lesser-known realities, where international media are less present, bringing into focus current affairs that unite East and West.
Given that OtherMovie Festival has always wished to encourage – across the spectrum of artistic production, interaction among cultures across the world, one focus of attention will also be on the social and economic integration of the foreign communities present in Switzerland. Various studies have shown how success – in professional, job-related and economic terms – is essential for a positive outcome in integration.
The Festival will take place from 15th to 21st April 2018 across a number of cinemas and cultural venues in the Lugano and Mendrisio areas. The official opening night featuring a video music show is at Studio Foce Lugano on Sunday 15th.
The 2018 edition will be introduced in February 2018 during a special evening of screenings and debates dedicated to the connection between the economy, wars and terrorism . This event is organized in conjunction with other Festivals and agencies that operate in the field.
Who we are
We are a non-profit working group promoting, from Lugano and right across the Italian part of Switzerland, the art of film making in its multifarious nuances and components.
OtherMovie Lugano Film Festival aims to act as a cultural bridge between East and West whilst lending visibility to quality art house cinema.
The choice of calling it “OtherMovie” reflects the desire to offer its audience a “different” film festival from what is currently on offer in festivals across Ticino and the rest of Switzerland.
The name “OtherMovie” is the final act which lends visibility to a more structured concept that shifts the perspective from where to view the festival.
“Other/Different” because , while the festival is indeed an window on movies, it wishes to use first of all this noble art to discuss and publicize current issues that touch - across a broad spectrum upon our society, times and every culture.
What makes OtherMovie
• An intercultural platform where different cultures meet.
• An’“Agora” (i.e. a meeting place) where current affairs are discussed.
• A lab where movies open up towards other art forms thereby finding the ideal dimension in which to express their own interpretation of current affairs.
• A network of artists and experts who come together in order to reach a greater and better understanding of our society.
• A socially-engaged cultural operator who builds bridges: between East and West, North and South. In our view, art unites different worlds.
The OtherMovie format
OtherMovie’s format defines its very essence:
• The yearly choice of a current affairs theme around which the entire list of events is developed.
• Movies, talks, workshops, concerts, photo exhibitions, performance art and other are scheduled on the basis of the theme of each edition.
• Co-operation with local and international artists, experts and cultural operators.
• Presentation of related events during the year in conjunction with other cultural operators and partners.
The themes so far:
In its first five editions, OtherMovie has put forward the following themes:
2012: “Zero” edition, with disability issues as its main topic
2013: Childhood and Adolescence
2014: Art and Femininity
2015: Freedom of Being
2016: Transitions and Migrations
2017: Violence (un)veiled
The editions so far: facts and numbers
OtherMovie has managed to grow over the first five editions and gain the respect of film lovers thanks to its themes, the wide range of movies shown and the events it has organized. Here are some significant numbers that mark its success:
• Overall number of spectators per edition: 1000
• Overall number of movies shown per edition: 80 (feature films, shorts and documentary films)
• Overall number of participating countries per edition: 27
• Overall number of festival partners per edition: 10 (Swiss and international).
OtherMovie and the media
OtherMovie has its own website www.othermovie.ch and may be found on social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
Furthermore, throughout the year OtherMovie gets visibility on the local and international press with various articles, interviews and in advertorials.
We are also active across Ticino all year round by offering our own ‘spin-off’ events or working in conjunction with other local associations. We get radio space too, particularly during the festival which is covered by local radio stations as well as by the state one (RSI – Radiotelevisione svizzera).
For further information, please see : www.othermovie.ch , or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards & Prizes
• PREMIO per il Miglior Film della sezione [S]GUARDO DA VICINO (Cash Award Value 600 Swiss Francs)
• RICONOSCIMENTO per il Miglior REGIA [S]GUARDO DA VICINO (1st Place: Cash Award Value 500 Swiss Francs )