The theme of the 2019 edition:
OtherMovie 2019 - "QUO VADIS FAMILIA"?
In transformation, yet always one of the pillars of society, the family should be the important theme of the eighth edition. Also in this case it is a wide issue that OtherMovie intends to restrict to its fields of action, linked to integration. There are numerous cases of family nucleuses composed of mixed nationalities: success stories that - although 'obvious' in their normalcy - it is right to be emphasized. And then critical cases, which sometimes lead to news and tragedy. It is therefore important to discuss the problems related to the family sphere and the existing tools on the territory to give answers to those who are confronted with difficulties of various kinds.
But the family is now something extremely complex; there will be a way to talk about single-parent families, couples who choose not to have children, adoptions, registered and non-registered partnerships and the marriage institution. It will also be the starting point for naturally dealing with the theme through the eyes of different cultures and understanding which are the points that divide us and which - certainly more numerous - those that unite us with one another. The production of a film produced by OtherMovie is in progress on the theme of the family.
Subscription to the mandatory competition via the platform: https://filmfreeway.com/submissions. Eventually we also accept digital files transferred via We transfer (or other digital sending methods). Request by email: email@example.com
Without any compensation, with all the material, without prejudice to the indication of the authors. The organization will be able to advertise through press, radio, TV, web, targeted posters, blow-ups, etc ... .. those works that, in the opinion of the artistic direction, have the requisites of opportunity for a public call and have nothing to expect for the above described.
The works will be part of the festival.
"Sguardo da vicino" short-film competition and 30 'Maximum duration for the contest. Other section and indefinite duration.
The contents of the works presented in the competition must be in compliance with the current legislation on copyright. The Management of the Other Film Festival declines all responsibility in this regard.
Participation in the competition implies the sole personal responsibility of the author for any irregularities in this area. The Artistic Direction reserves with the unquestionable discretion to exclude from the competition.
The finalists of the competition will receive a communication from the organization by April 1, 2019 through our website and the FilmFreeway platform
Who we are
We are a non-profit working group promoting, from Lugano and right across the Italian part of Switzerland, the art of film making in its multifarious nuances and components.
OtherMovie Lugano Film Festival aims to act as a cultural bridge between East and West whilst lending visibility to quality art house cinema.
The choice of calling it “OtherMovie” reflects the desire to offer its audience a “different” film festival from what is currently on offer in festivals across Ticino and the rest of Switzerland.
The name “OtherMovie” is the final act which lends visibility to a more structured concept that shifts the perspective from where to view the festival.
“Other/Different” because , while the festival is indeed an window on movies, it wishes to use first of all this noble art to discuss and publicize current issues that touch - across a broad spectrum upon our society, times and every culture.
What makes OtherMovie
• An intercultural platform where different cultures meet.
• An’“Agora” (i.e. a meeting place) where current affairs are discussed.
• A lab where movies open up towards other art forms thereby finding the ideal dimension in which to express their own interpretation of current affairs.
• A network of artists and experts who come together in order to reach a greater and better understanding of our society.
• A socially-engaged cultural operator who builds bridges: between East and West, North and South. In our view, art unites different worlds.
The OtherMovie format
OtherMovie’s format defines its very essence:
• The yearly choice of a current affairs theme around which the entire list of events is developed.
• Movies, talks, workshops, concerts, photo exhibitions, performance art and other are scheduled on the basis of the theme of each edition.
• Co-operation with local and international artists, experts and cultural operators.
• Presentation of related events during the year in conjunction with other cultural operators and partners.
The themes so far:
In its first five editions, OtherMovie has put forward the following themes:
2012: “Zero” edition, with disability issues as its main topic
2013: Childhood and Adolescence
2014: Art and Femininity
2015: Freedom of Being
2016: Transitions and Migrations
2017: Violence (un)veiled
The editions so far: facts and numbers
OtherMovie has managed to grow over the first five editions and gain the respect of film lovers thanks to its themes, the wide range of movies shown and the events it has organized. Here are some significant numbers that mark its success:
• Overall number of spectators per edition: 1000
• Overall number of movies shown per edition: 80 (feature films, shorts and documentary films)
• Overall number of participating countries per edition: 27
• Overall number of festival partners per edition: 10 (Swiss and international).
OtherMovie and the media
OtherMovie has its own website www.othermovie.ch and may be found on social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
Furthermore, throughout the year OtherMovie gets visibility on the local and international press with various articles, interviews and in advertorials.
We are also active across Ticino all year round by offering our own ‘spin-off’ events or working in conjunction with other local associations. We get radio space too, particularly during the festival which is covered by local radio stations as well as by the state one (RSI – Radiotelevisione svizzera).
For further information, please see : www.othermovie.ch , or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
• per il Miglior Film della sezione [S]GUARDO DA VICINO
(Cash Award Value 600 Swiss Francs)
• per il Miglior regia [S]GUARDO DA VICINO
(1st Place: Cash Award Value 500 Swiss Francs )