Launched in 1989, the One World Film Festival (OWFF) has become Ottawa’s longest running documentary film festival focused on raising awareness on global social justice, human rights and environmental issues.
Featuring film screenings, panel discussions, workshops and Q&As with filmmakers, the OWFF serves as a forum for audiences to learn more about issues of global and local concern and engage with the organizations, groups and individuals that are taking actions on those issues.
The festival's focus on social impact documentaries makes it a unique experience for everyone involved and sets it apart from other film festivals based in Ottawa, Canada.
The One World Film Festival is presented by One World Arts, a volunteer-based, charitable organization working to create awareness on world issues. With a focus on the media and performing arts, One World Arts' programs are designed to engage people of all ages.
Awards & Prizes
Screening fees will be paid for selected films.
All accepted film entries will be promoted and featured on the OWFF website and on their Facebook and Twitter pages.
Rules & Terms
Submissions that do not adhere to the criteria, rules, terms, conditions and any other specifications indicated in the current call for entries will be immediately disqualified. Please carefully review this section before you submit your film for consideration. Thank you for your interest.
Submissions MUST meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for consideration:
- be a documentary (i.e. non-fiction);
- be written, directed and/or produced within the last 2 years;
- be created by filmmakers aged 18 or above (or under 18, with the consent of a guardian);
- be available for previewing with English subtitles, if produced in a language other than English; and,
- address topics such as human rights, social justice, politics, conflict, war, peace, refugees, the environment, climate change, etc.
Regional and local (Ontario, Ottawa and Gatineau area) filmmakers are exempt from the submission fee and are strongly encouraged to submit their works for consideration. If this applies to you, please apply for a waiver OR submit your work electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Local submission" in the subject line of your message.
There are no waivers to the above criteria.
As well the following information MUST be included with your submission:
- Film title and year of production;
- Country or province (i.e. for Canadian productions) of origin;
- A brief synopsis of the film (100 words max.);
- Running time/length of the film;
- Language(s) of film and available subtitles (where relevant);
- Premiere status (i.e. has it premiered in Canada or internationally and, if so, where?);
- Full name of the filmmaker(s)/director(s);
- Contact information of filmmaker and/or distributor (email address, phone number and complete mailing address);
- Link to the film's official website and/or social media pages (if available);
- Press Notes/Kit (if available).
Please carefully read all of the following rules and guidelines carefully before making your submission:
– Films publicly available on the Internet (free or VOD) are not eligible.
– Only online submissions will be accepted (i.e. via FilmFreeway or email). We will not accept submissions sent by mail/post.
– We are not responsible for improperly functioning online screeners or passwords.
– All submitted films in a language other than English must have English or French subtitles.
– Submissions of French language films with English subtitles are strongly encouraged.
– Entrants are responsible for securing all rights and permissions from copyright and other holders relating to their film and agree to all terms as detailed herein.
– We reserve the right not to select any submission that we feel is inappropriate for any reason.
– All submissions will be notified of the results of the festival’s decision.
– The decision of selection committee and festival is final.
Terms and Conditions
As submitter of this entry and the undersigned, I acknowledge and agree that:
1. I have read, understand and fully comply with all submission eligibility Rules, Guidelines, Terms and Conditions requirements;
2. To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in this document are true;
3. This film or video is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation;
4. I am duly authorized to submit this film to the festival;
5. I hold One World Arts (One World Film Festival) its Board of Directors, management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, volunteers, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from my entry;
6. I certify that I am the copyright holder of the film and have all necessary rights and clearances to have the film publicly screened by the festival;
7. I certify that I have full rights to the use of the music in the entered work;
8. I give permission to One World Arts (One World Film Festival) to use trailers/clips, stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the film for promotional purposes and
9. I give permission to One World Arts (One World Film Festival) to screen the film at the festival as well as any other agreed on festival presentations, programs, and/or events.