From the heart of the Midwest, the Kalamazoo-based North by Midwest Micro-Budget Film Festival is looking for submissions from North America-based filmmakers. Categories include: Long Feature, Short Feature, Documentary/Profile, Animation, and MicroCam.
Call for entries for this juried competition is September 5 - November 6, 2017. Finalists will be screened at a day-long event March 17, 2018. There will be a filmmaking forum as well as an awards ceremony.
Budget must be equal or less than $10,000 for Long Features and $5,000 for other categories (not including equipment costs).
About Sponsor Organization Public Media Network:
Public Media Network (PMN, formerly known as the Community Access Center) is a Public, Education, and Government (PEG) community media organization founded in 1983. We provide non-commercial media services to these consortium partner communities: City of Kalamazoo, City of Portage, Kalamazoo Township, Oshtemo Township, Comstock Township, and the City of Parchment in the state of Michigan.
Our services include: media production training, equipment loan, programming distribution, and vocational instruction in radio and digital video production to local high schools. We also manage and operate (under contract) WKDS 89.9 FM, a 100-watt FM non-commercial/educational radio station licensed to the Kalamazoo Public Schools.
In each category:
1st Place: $1000
2nd Place: $500
3rd Place: $100
- As a community media organization, a primary component of Public Media Network’s mission is to support the availability and appreciation of independent, community-centric media. It is PMN’s intent to feature all “Winning” films/videos (first, second, and third place) as part of a telecast schedule on our community cable television channels for a period of three (3) weeks following the on-site festival screening event. By submitting your film/video to the “North By Midwest Micro-Budget Film Festival”, you are acknowledging and accepting this as a condition of entry. Public Media Network will derive no revenue or income from the telecast of winning entries, and no royalty or remuneration will be provided to the producer for such telecast.
- Productions produced after January 2012 are eligible.
- One Entry per category per person or group.
- Budget must be equal or less than $10,000 for Long Features and $5,000 for other categories not including equipment costs.
- Productions must be submitted on FilmFreeway.com
- Entries must be entered by the deadline date.
- Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images and content in the entry.
- Entrant will allow usage of clips from the entry and all related publicity material submitted for promotional use on television, radio, in print, web and at live Festival events.
- All decisions by judges, programmers and organizers will be final and no refund of entry fee will be permitted.
- Submitting does not automatically qualify you for judging. We will notify you by email or phone if your film is qualified.
- PMN Staff is not eligible for prizes but their work may be eligible to be screened at the festival.