The Mumbai Independent Film Festival is an ultimate gathering of original storytellers and audiences seeking new voices and fresh perspectives. We celebrate the art of cinema and provide impactful experiences for the local, national and global community we are a part of. The aim is targeted at raising awareness and promoting independent cinema in all its forms, in essence, art, entertainment and as an industry, in the spirit of freedom and dialogue across the globe.
Mumbai Independent Film Festival is specially designed for independent filmmakers who would like to present their creativity with an understanding that the work is submitted to a jury comprising of actors, producers, filmmakers & independent scriptwriters. As MIFF is organised to promote the upcoming filmmakers from various genres, we’ve kept the entry fee reasonable.
You are welcome to submit your current project(s) in multiple categories classified as Films based on duration (qualifies to compete for film and crew awards), Actors (qualifies to compete for cast/performer awards) and Screenplay/Script (qualifies to compete for screenplay/script awards).
1st Prize for the Best Short Film – ₹ 5000
2nd Prize for the Best Short Film – ₹ 3000
3rd Prize for the Best Short Film – ₹ 2000
RULES & TERMS
The 2nd Edition of Mumbai Independent Film Festival (MIFF) will be held from 5th to 9th October 2022. Please read the guidelines carefully:
• The festival is open for all who are making an impact with their creative work whether he/she is a famous person from a metro city or someone from a village because we believe that work speaks. So this is your platform with no bias of caste, creed, culture or status.
• List Film at MIFF defines a short film as any film with a running time of 40 minutes or less and a feature film with over 75 minutes or longer running time.
• Films that have been shown theatrically or broadcasted on television prior to MIFF or are available on DVD or VOD will be deemed ineligible.
• Films completed after 1st January 2019 are eligible for the festival.
• Films that have had private, unpublicized screenings are eligible for submission to MIFF.
• The short/feature film can be of any language or of any genre. All films must have English subtitles. If the film is without subtitles, please understand that it might be disqualified.
• In the case of co-productions, at least one of the producers/production companies must have the right to sanction the participation of the film in competition in the festival and authority to receive award(s), if won.
• Entries will be subject to preview by a committee for the selection process constituted by the Directors of MIFF.
• Film(s) entered / screened in earlier MIFF / shorter version(s) / revised or re-edited version of film(s) will not be eligible.
• YouTube, Vimeo and Drive links are acceptable for screener/pre-selection/preview purpose. Make sure that the links are not password protected and don't delete the upload till the date of the MIFF award ceremony 2022.
• Director's Debut Film: Entry for the film in “Director's Debut Film” Category should be submitted along-with a certificate by the applicant that the film is the debut film of Director, failing which the film will not be treated as Director's Debut Film. If the Director has made, at an earlier date, any other film-feature, short, documentary or animation film, (except a student film as a part of curriculum), he/she shall not be eligible for this award.
• One single film can be submitted for several categories in a single form with applicable fee payment for each category.
• Entries will be previewed by a duly constituted Pre-Selection Committee and the shortlisted films will be previewed by a Final Selection Committee which will select films for the competition sections.
• Festival Directorate will have the right to make copies of Blue Ray/DVD for pre-selection / selection purpose.
• The Jury reserves the right to withhold an award in any category where no entry, in the Jury's view, meet the standards for award / recognition. It also reserves the right to recommend sharing of award(s) in any category and to recommend special Jury award/Certificate of Merit.
• Copy of the award winning films will be retained by the Festival Directorate for Festival Archive/non-commercial screening.
• The Festival Directorate will have the right to screen Award Winning films in different places in India and on social media platforms on non-commercial basis for promotion/publicity of Films/MIFF.
• You may submit more than one film, but you must complete a separate application for each film.
• Only officially selected films will be intimated by email. No letters of non-acceptance will be sent. All lists will be available on the Facebook & Instagram pages.
• Please fill up the form properly. The entry will not be accepted without properly filling up the Declaration Portion.
• MIFF is under no obligation to provide comments or feedback regarding the film entered to the entrant or any other representative.
• For promotion/publicity of MIFF, clippings from any film entered in the festival shall be shown on the National/International /Local television networks/Cinemas/social media platforms/ Internet, etc.
• Clippings of selected films will be screened on the official website of the festival.
• Mumbai Independent Film Festival (MIFF) reserves the complete right to make changes in the program dates and times and to possibly not screen the video, despite its being selected for screening.
• The Director of the festival has the power to waive any of the mentioned rules.
• Participants are urged to make available requested press kit/publicity materials including:
Synopsis of the film (in English)
Biography and filmography of the director
Posters of the film (300 dpi)
• Entry forms with incorrect/inadequate/illegible/ambiguous particulars will not be considered. The festival committee reserves the right to accept or refuse any film without assigning any reason whatsoever.
• Selection of Short/Feature Films for MIFF will be done by a panel of jury whose decision will be final and binding. However, Festival authorities reserve the right to accept or reject any film that is likely to offend sentiments, feelings or sensibilities of any caste, community, religion and sections that are likely to promote racism or ill will in the society; additionally for any circumstances, the festival committee/jury will not be answerable for such decision to any person(s), or company or organization.
• You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the MIFF, from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
• Jury will select the winners based on entry rules and their decision will be final and acceptable to all. The winners will receive the confirmation via email.
• Cost of courier charge will cover the submitter or Director, or Producer. Prize and certificate will be awarded to the director(s) or producer(s) of the film. For any duties, fees and charges accrued from the transportation of the trophy will be covered by the recipient, not the Festival organizers.
• The entry/submission fee is Non-Refundable. MIFF will not refund any fees if you fail to submit in the right category.
• Entrant agrees to be bound by all terms of these official festival rules and regulations as established herein. The Mumbai Independent Film Festival 2022 reserves the right to extend the Festival deadline for any unforeseen reasons if needed. Entry constitutes permission to use winner’s names, likeness and voice for future advertising and publicity purposes without any objection and claim.
• Decision of the Festival Authority regarding all matters not expressively provided for in these regulations or which require interpretation of the clauses mentioned above shall be final and binding on all parties. No correspondences in any regard will be accepted and considered under any circumstances.
• We do not accept - Amateur videos / Extremist or propaganda content from religious or political organizations / Projects involving politics / films promoting political agenda / Pornography / Films with a poor production standard (bad sound, lack of subtitles for in the films, poor resolution) etc.
• Disclaimer: All disputes in respect of any matter relating to the MIFF shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the competent courts and fora in Mumbai.
• Filmmakers should submit their work and a trailer for promotional purposes. All filmmakers will have to fill out a form that confirms their legal right to use the work and gives the option to upload the file. It’s important to outline any video specifications to prevent technical issues with submissions.
• You must also have the rights cleared. The applicant holds the sole responsibility of copyright clearance of any copyrighted material in the film. Films including unauthorized copyrighted material are ineligible.
• You must think very carefully about all the possible rights involved in your film: music, title, story, copyright, life rights, trademarks, logos, etc.
• By submitting your film to us, you’re indicating that you own and/or have acquired the rights in your film and have cleared copyright, trademarks and logos of other parties and obtained their authorization.
• I hereby certify that I am over 18 years of age and competent to contract in my own name. If I am signing on behalf of an organization, I certify that I have authority to do so and that my signature binds the organization and its performers to all elements of this contract.
*Please note that due to exceptional circumstances the rules and regulations are subject to change and will be updated according to the situation around the COVID-19 pandemic.
Response from festival:
We are very much inspired with your words. Your film deserves award for it's wonderful making and presentation. We always try to sustain communication with the film makers from around the world. Your words will inspire us much more again. Cordially invite you to submit again. Have good days ahead.