Mr. HoleHead’s Warped Dimension is an Online-Only festival which will run September 25th - 27th, 2020. It is presented by the producers of Another Hole in the Head--San Francisco’s longest-running genre film festival (www.ahith.com). Not to be confused with our 17th Annual theatrical fest coming later in the year (www.filmfreeway.com/SanFranciscoAnotherHoleintheHead), this is an entirely new and separate event. And as the name suggests, this festival is dedicated to the Odd, the Eerie, and yes—the Warped!
The films will be streamed to a registered audience via the Zoom platform (www.zoom.us) at scheduled intervals (no VOD). Filmmakers are encouraged to join us on Zoom for their shows and participate in live post-screening Q&A sessions. These sessions will be moderated by our staff, who will ask some preliminary questions, and then pass along the questions submitted by the audience.
We’re looking for Short Films and Features that fit one or more of the following categories:
• Science Fiction – Narratives involving speculative elements of technology and science (this includes chemistry, biology, etc.).
• Fantasy - Narratives of magic, myth, or wonder, in real or imaginary settings.
• Action/Adventure - Narratives of quest and discovery with possible elements of combat, violence, and/or pursuit.
• Horror - Frightening, shocking, or suspenseful narratives with supernatural or other fantastic elements.
• Thriller - Frightening, shocking, or suspenseful narratives without any Fantasy or Science Fiction elements (conventional “Stalker/Slasher” films are included in this category).
• Animation - Includes cartoons, stop-motion, CGI, etc.
• Documentary – Non-fictional depictions of subject matter closely related to the other festival categories.
• Art/Experimental - Narrative and non-narrative films with surreal, symbolic, or abstract elements, and/or films employing unconventional production techniques.
Our audience will use Zoom’s polling function to rate each film they view. The most highly-rated films will receive Audience Awards: one Feature and one Short Film in each of the listed categories.
In addition, three Staff Awards will be given: Favorite Feature, Favorite Short, and Best Trailer (only the trailers for our Official Selections will be considered).
In the event that there are insufficient submissions to make for competition within a category, either a single Audience Award will be given, or the category will be suspended.
Films from any year of release are eligible for submission.
Music Videos with visual content befitting one or more of our listed categories are welcome to compete as short films.
Films that have been made available online are eligible for submission. However, once a film becomes an Official Selection we will expect its online availability to be suspended on all platforms from the day before we announce the schedule until shortly after its screening with us has concluded. This will be a period of approximately two weeks. Filmmakers will be notified in advance regarding specific dates and times.
The Festival will take every reasonable precaution to store all works securely and preclude any unauthorized recording; the Zoom app itself offers many security features to prevent the public from copying or recording exhibition content. However, with new technologies becoming available at all times, we cannot be held liable for any acts of piracy that may occur.
Submitters understand that submission of their work authorizes the Festival to use the work for exhibition, education and/or publicity purposes related to the festival. In addition to screening(s) during the festival, this includes sharing trailers & clips on social media and elsewhere, as well as allowing select individuals to view entire works for the purpose of publishing advance reviews.
The Festival is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement related to the work.
Submitters may receive future correspondence from the Festival; an "unsubscribe" option is available in all email bulletins.