Mountainfilm uses the power of film, art and ideas to inspire audiences to create a better world. Mountainfilm is America’s premier documentary film festival celebrating adventure, activism, human rights, culture, environment and indomitable spirit. We accept and screen feature and short films on a broad range of subjects. We are always interested in work that focuses on mountains, mountain culture, and mountaineering, but we are also partial to films about people who are dedicated to changing the world. Our Moving Mountains Symposium theme for 2019 is equity. We encourage you to submit films that discuss or address that topic, though the festival will feature films on a wide range of documentary subjects. Mountainfilm promotes and encourages diversity behind the camera.
Movie Maker voted Mountainfilm Top 25 Coolest Film Festivals in the World.
Best Documentary Feature Award $1000
Best Short Film Award $500
Audience Choice Award $1000
Moving Mountains Prize (Supports a non-profit featured in a film) $3000
Charlie Fowler Award (Best Climbing Film) $1000
Norman Vaughan Indomitable Spirit Award $1000
Student Award (awarded by jury of local students) $500
– A complete application including full contact information, a trailer, headshot, bio, and preferably a Vimeo screener link. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Your link must remain active until June 1, 2019.
– Mountainfilm is a documentary film festival. If your film is not a documentary, please reconsider submitting.
– Film entries may be of any length, from any country and on any subject in keeping with our mission. Subtitled films should either be in English or include English subtitles.
– We are a DCP only festival. If accepted to screen at Mountainfilm, you will be required to provide a DCP through our partner Simple DCP.
– If you are from an LMIC, please contact us for a submission fee discount/waiver.