The Mixed Remixed Festival is the largest gathering of multiracial and mixed-race families and people in the country. The Festival brings together innovative and emerging filmmakers, writers, and performers to celebrate stories of the mixed-race and multiracial experience. The Festival routinely attracts national press including NBC News, National Public Radio, and the Los Angeles Times as well as top-notch Hollywood talent including Key & Peele, film and TV star Taye Diggs, and The Daily Show's Al Madrigal among others.
We are seeking short and feature-length films of any genre that clearly address the mixed race and/or multiracial experience. This includes but is not limited to stories about mixed-race and multiracial people and families, interracial and intercultural relationships, transracial or transcultural adoption, and the exploration of multiracial and multicultural identity. We are particularly interested in films about interracial/intercultural relationships as we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Supreme Court decision, Loving v. Virginia, that allowed interracial marriage in every state in the nation. Please note that there may be a Q&A session at each screening at the festival which we hope you can participate in. (However, attendance is not mandatory.) Participants are responsible for their own transportation and lodging. The Festival is unable to provide an honorarium.
Thank you for submitting your film for consideration for the Mixed Remixed Festival 2017 in Los Angeles. We hope that you will gain valuable connections and exposure through this participation.
Before submitting a proposal to speak at Mixed Remixed Festival 2017, please read the submission FAQ detailing what we are looking for:
***Did you read the FAQ? If not, please read it now.***
We want to have our agreement spelled out clearly so that you know what you can expect and in turn clarify our expectations of you as a Mixed Remixed Festival speaker. Upon reading this agreement between you, (the Speaker) and Mixed Remixed, Inc. (the Festival) and checking the box on line, you are confirming that you read, reviewed, understand and agree to all terms and below.
Terms & Conditions
1. Session Promotion: By agreeing to speak at the Mixed Remixed Festival, you are granting Mixed Remixed Inc. the right to use your name, image, bio and topic information in the promotion of the Festival and your session. This includes listings in the website, promotional mailers, emails, and newsletters, advertisements, the Festival directory/addendum/program and various other sources as to be determined by the Festival.
2. Session Location: All Mixed Remixed Festival sessions will be held in Los Angeles California. Note that specific session room assignments are made in the weeks just prior to Festival. You should tell interested parties to check on-site signage, Festival program or online schedule for the session location.
3. Session Layout: All sessions will be held in meeting rooms that have theater style or classroom style seating.
4. Audiovisual Equipment: The following will be provided by the Festival in your session: Podium and/or table with microphone and audio system, Internet connection or wireless Internet access, a projector to which you can connect YOUR OWN computer and a projection screen. Please make sure that your presentation is adequately prepared on a flash drive, CD or website so that it does not require complex or lengthy prep time. It is highly recommended that if you have a media presentation, you send it to the Festival in advance.
5. Session Attendance and Access: The Festival is a free public event however we ask that attendees register. Please tell your guests and colleagues to register in advance of the Festival if they plan to attend your session.
6. Session Recordings: It is the intention of the Festival to record audio and video of all sessions at the Mixed Remixed Festival. By agreeing to be one of the speakers at the Festival, you are granting the Festival the right to use your likeness and recorded content on their event website affiliated sites, DVDs, CDs, downloadable media or any form of distribution at the sole discretion of the Festival. No royalties or rights are due to the speaker.
Speaker agrees to:
1. Submission of Speaker Information: Submit the requested information on the submissions form. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
2. Submission of Speaker’s Digital Image: Upon acceptance speaker will receive a request for a headshot. This photo may be used on the Festival website and/or program, social media, and/or in promotional materials or any event-related distribution without limitation.
3. Image Rights Release: As a participant in the Mixed Remixed Festival, upon the terms herewith stated, I hereby give to Mixed Remixed Inc., their heirs legal representatives and assigns, and those acting with his/her authority and permission:
a. the unrestricted right and permission to copyright and use, re-use, sales to any visual or audio media, publish, live streaming and broadcast video or pictures of me or in which I may be included, limited in scope to my role as a participant in the Mixed Remixed Festival, intact or in part, composite or distorted in character or form, without restriction as to changes or transformations in conjunction with my own or fictitious name, or reproduction cure out in color or otherwise, major any and all media now or hereafter known for illustration, art, promotion, advertising, trade, or any other purpose whatsoever.
b. I also permit the use of any printed material in connection therewith.
c. I hereby relinquish any right that I may have to examine or approve the completed product or products for the advertising copy or printed matter that may be used in conjunction there with the use to which it may be applied.
d. I hereby release discharge and agree to save harmless Mixed Remixed Inc., their heirs, legal representatives or assigns, and all persons functioning under their permission or authority, or those for whom they are functioning, from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use a composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking of said picture or in any subsequent processing thereof, as well as any publication thereof, including without limitation any claims for libel or invasion of privacy.
e. I hereby affirm that I am over the age of majority and have the right to contract in my own name. I have read the above authorization, release and agreement, prior to its execution; I fully understand the contents thereof. This agreement shall be binding upon me and my heirs, legal representatives and assigns.
4. Submission of Speaker’s bio: Upon acceptance, speaker will receive a request for a brief (75 words or less) bio. This bio may be used on the website, directory and in promotional materials or any events related distribution without limitation.
5. Speak at the Session When Confirmed by the Festival: Speaker agrees to work with the Festival team, other session speakers, and a/v techs in the professional presentation of the session. Speaker agrees to keep his/her presentation to the time agreed upon. Speaker agrees to limit his/her presentation to the topic agreed-upon. Speaker agrees that she/he will come to the Festival with a professional presentation and will not attempt to “wing it”.
6. Share respectful and legal material in the session: Speaker agrees to refrain from overt statements that disparage the rightful dignity or social quality of any individual or group. Speaker also agrees and states that all material and content presented by the speaker does not infringe or violate copyright, trademark, patent or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, nor do they promote or endorse any product, service, or device which may or is it this time of the program not approved by any governing agency. Speaker agrees that it will not use any copyrighted music in the session without obtaining prior written permission from the music owner. Speaker agrees to indemnify, hold harmless and defend the Festival for any liability resulting from the presentation, both verbal and written, including libel, slander and misstatement of fact, antitrust violations or violation of copyright. Speaker also agrees to bring a backup copy of any a/v presentation with him/her on site to the Festival.
7. Arrive and check in for the session in a timely manner: Speaker agrees to arrive at the Festival in order to pick up his/her badge and check in at least one and a half hours prior to the start time of the session. This time is necessary to check in, receive instructions from Festival staff, find the session room and do any a/v checks. It is highly recommended that speaker check in as early as possible during the day to fully orient to the Festival and enjoy the day’s programming.
8. In the event of an emergency: Should it become necessary for the speaker to cancel his/her participation in the session listed in this agreement. Speaker agrees, to the best of his/her ability, to give the Festival at least 45 days advance notice. Should this cancellation have to occur between five and 45 days prior to the session, speaker agrees to immediately notify the Festival via email and telephone of the cancellation speaker also agrees to attempt to assist company in identifying a proper replacement for speaker in the session. If possible speaker should try to provide the Festival with a possible replacement name, phone number and email address with their cancellation. Should the speaker have to cancel his/her presentation within five days of the session, speaker agrees to immediately contact the Festival via telephone and email, with a brief professional explanation of the emergency (i.e., family emergency, travel delay, work emergency, etc.) and the Festival has permission to publish this information to attendees as an explanation as to why the speaker is not present. This is done in an attempt to protect the reputation of the Festival and speaker, and no personal information shared.
9. Risk. Speaker shall indemnify and hold harmless Festival from any claim, demand, loss, liability, damage or expense arising in any way from the speaker’s agreement to present at the Festival or from any performance of Speaker’s services for the Festival. Speaker recognizes that the Festival is relying on speaker to perform as outlined in this agreement.
1. The Festival is unable to provide any honorarium, lodging, or transportation at this time. This also includes but is not limited to per diem’s, meal expenses, Internet fees, entertainment, printing/copy/reproduction costs, or other business expenses or other miscellaneous incidentals.
2. Speaker will receive recognition from your peers as an industry or emerging leader and exposure to thousands. Speaker’s name and/or photo will appear in multiple Festival promotional opportunities including the Festival program, Festival website, Festival schedule, and Festival social media.
Deadline to submit speaker proposals is Jan. 23, 2017 by 11:59pm Pacific.