The Midlands Movies Awards is an awards ceremony for Midlands (UK) films and filmmakers.
What are we planning?
Midlands Movies will be recognising the movie-making talent in the area in 2023. Our awards will once again bring attention to the many amazing local films completed in the Midlands region of the UK.
What are the rules?
Make a film in the Midlands! Our focus is on films from the area so 75% of your finished and submitted film MUST have been shot/made on location in the Midlands region of the UK. For details please check full terms & conditions below. Films submitted will be considered across all eligible categories.
How much does it cost?
To cover admin costs, it's just £6.00 to enter each of your films. For that price, your film is entered into all of the 16 categories it may be eligible for.
When will the ceremony happen?
The red carpet evening will take place June 10th 2023 at the Y Theatre in Leicester.
Who’s on the 2023 jury panel?
A jury panel of respected and experienced film professionals have the difficult task of choosing nominations and winners and will be headed up by Midlands filmmaker, actor and stunt man Scott Adkins, star of Dr. Strange and the forthcoming John Wick Chapter 4.
It is also comprised of Melissa Donello (Birmingham Film & TV Market), Robert Sharl (Cine-Excess), Camille Burnett (Nexus Cast & Crew Network), John Currie (Beeston Film Festival), Rebekah Taylor (Derby QUAD) & Mike Sales (Midlands Movies).
Previous jury panel members include Shane Meadows (This Is England director), Richard Billingham (Turner prize nominee & director of Ray & Liz), James Luxford (Radio Times film critic), Becky Adams (CEO Screen Northants), Dharmesh Rajput (Head of Birmingham Indian Film Festival), Pin Cushion director Deborah Haywood, Denyce Blackman (Film Birmingham), Alexzandra Jackson (BFI Network/Film Hub Midlands) & Steve Oram (lead actor in Ben Wheatley's Sightseers).
We appreciate everyone’s tremendous efforts in their filmmaking endeavours and can't wait to see all the talented films, filmmakers, cast and crew from the region once more in 2023!
1. Best Feature (Sponsored by Chromosphere Media)
2. Best Short
3. Actor in a Leading Role
4. Actress in a Leading Role
5. Actor in a Supporting Role
6. Actress in a Supporting Role
7. Animated Film
8. Costume & Makeup & Hairstyling
10. Documentary (Sponsored by Pinboard Media)
12. Music (Score or song)
14. Sound (Editing or Mixing)
15. Visual Effects
16. Writing (Original or adapted screenplay)
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ
* Our focus is very much on the Midlands area so PLEASE note that OVER 75% of your finished film should have been SHOT in the Midlands region (see Wikipedia for geographical areas covered) for it to fully be considered as a Midlands film for our awards. Filmmakers should ensure their film fulfils these requirements before submitting. Films that do not meet this standard will be disqualified at any time during the process. (A final decision will be made by Midlands Movies to see if the work fits the criteria).
* Submission cost is just £6.00 per film
* There's no limit to the number of films you can submit
* Deadline for submissions is February 5th 2023.
* By submitting you formally agree for Midlands Movies to use clips of your film edited into the awards ceremony production (nomination reels AND pre & post awards promotional videos etc.) as required
* There's no limitations on your film being shown in other festivals - however, we are identifying films based upon the fact that a full version must have been shown to the public for the FIRST TIME (at a red carpet event, festival, general release or online in any form) between March 1st 2022 to February 5th 2023
* The winners will receive a certificate and trophy
* Any film submitted as part of any previous Midlands Movies Awards are NOT eligible to enter the 2023 awards.
* Final winners are decided by a panel of judges made up from the Midlands film industry (announced soon)
* The judges' decision is final
* Jury Panel Members are ineligible to vote for any film they may have any production involvement in
* Filmmakers, cast and crew who are subsequently nominated are NOT entitled to free entry into the awards ceremony. Anyone interested in attending the event itself must purchase tickets via Midlands Movies once nominations have been announced
* Films over 45 minutes in length will not be considered in the BEST SHORT category and films under 45 minutes will not be considered in the BEST FEATURE category.
* Written screenplays and scripts are not eligible for the Midlands Movies Awards.
For any queries about these terms or general questions about the awards please email email@example.com