The Mashariki African Film Festival is the largest film festival in Rwanda. The festival was created to respond to a fast-growing film audience and a much-needed film connection through African countries, filmmakers, the African diaspora and international media producers.
Mashariki 2022 continues give particular attention to Genre Cinema and independent African cinema.
African filmmakers and producers are now proposing truly African genre films. Mashariki 2022 Official Selection will strongly consider quality Genre Cinema alongside many other African "film d'auteur".
OFFICIAL MASHARIKI AWARDS (list not definitif)
1. Best Long Feature Fiction
2. Best Feature Documentary
3. Best Short film
4. Best Tv and Web Series
1. Best Rwandan short film
2. Best Promising Filmaker
3. Best Actor
4. Best Actress
(IZIWACU is a category of web series and short film dedicate to the booming local productions which is specifically consume by the local audience)
RULES for FILM SUBMISSION at MAAF
1. The Mashariki African Film Festival (MAAF) is currently accepting applications from filmmakers from Africa, African diaspora and from around the world according to different categories of competition.
2. The priority is given to films from Africa and by Africans including African Diaspora.
3. The category INTERNATIONAL will award film from international movie panorama that deals about Africa and Afrivan Issues.
4. Films in competition must be directed or produced from 2019. Work in Progress can be submitted but must be finished by August 2021.
5. MAAF also reserves the right to accept any films with a specific interest to the festival. We encourage filmmakers to submit works in any genre, features, documentaries, shorts, animation, TV series and music videos.
6. Deadline for submission is 15th September 2021.
• All submission must be done through MAAF platform on filmfreeway.com, (link can be found on the website of the festival)
• The submission deadline is 15th September 2021.
• Selection results will be available on our Website: www.masharikifestival.org
• Any film at MAAF may have at least (3) public screenings at the most, including one press viewing. However, further screenings could be organized if the producer so agrees.
• MAFF is committed to preserve the copy of film from any act of piracy and illicit business.