Hidden gems by the next generation filmmakers.
The Martinique International Film Festival is an online streaming film festival meant to showcase innovative world cinema from around the world by up-and-coming artists.
The festival hopes to be the voice and representation for films with a unique voice and message, regardless of how low the budget might be.
Aiming to inspire, motivate and award new talent.
Founded as a quarterly online film festival in 2015, the Martinique International Film Festival ran for 8 editions before taking a break in 2018. In 2022 the festival was acquired by Tarkovski Ltd, a global player in the film festival world. New aims were set and a new approach was developed, transforming the Martinique International Film Festival into an online streaming platform, up to speed with present viewing behaviour in an increasingly digital world. The next edition will be streaming from January 25 to February 25, 2024.
CALL FOR ENTRIES
Do you have a film that’s suitable for the biggest screen of them all, the internet? Only submit your film if you’re comfortable with having your film being streamed online. The selection will go online during a period of 4 weeks. Viewers will be able to watch, but not download your film. If needed we can geo-block your film to our region (France, Martinique is an overseas territory of France). We’re open to any genre (narrative, web series, made for tv, documentary, experimental…) and especially any duration (which is always an issue for physical festivals). Selected filmmakers will receive all official selection perks (The Tarkovski Grant, The Producer’s Night nomination…) and are in the running for any of the award titles.
The Martinique International Film Festival is one of several online festivals that use festival directors, film professionals and film critics as jury members. This guarantees not only a quality selection, it also helps filmmakers to find their way into other festivals (with physical screenings). Most of the selected films were picked up by other festivals as a result of a selection at the Martinique International Film Festival.
Proud partner of The Bigger Screen
Martinique International Film Festival is supported by The Bigger Screen, an organization that aims to make film as an art form more accessible and more inclusive. A short overview of their projects:
- SUPPORTING FILM FESTIVALS: Film festivals are not only a place to share films, but they are a safe haven for film makers to connect, share, and learn. The Bigger Screens supports and engages with over 25 respected international film festivals from mainstays like the 61st Ann Arbor Film Festival and the Brussels Independent Film Festival to emerging events such as the Venice Film Week and The Producer’s Night Los Angeles. These events bring filmmakers and filmgoers together, providing that place to connect and engage in a comfortable setting, away from Hollywood glitz and glamour.
- CONNECTING CULTURES PROGRAM: Each year, The Bigger Screen selects at least ten countries and grants filmmakers from those areas the ability to submit their work free of charge to partner festivals all over the world. This opens the door of film exposure to those who may not otherwise be able to enter. As we support inclusivity and shareable films, this program exemplifies our mission. Check out https://www.connectingculturesprogram.com to see if your country is included in this year’s program and submit your work for free.
- LOCAL FILMMAKERS PROGRAM: To encourage rising talent, we waived the festival submission fee to local talent. This provides a great opportunity for local filmmakers to enter the international film scene. Think global, act local, right?
- INCLUSIVE AUDIENCE PROGRAM: Our online streaming screenings are always low or even free of charge to provide opportunity for interested film goers to view up and coming, challenging, and inspiring pieces of art, encouraging students, seniors, and those in underprivileged environments to share the experience of film and cinema. We welcome film goers, regardless of income and financial status.
- THE TARKOVSKI GRANT: All selected filmmakers will receive The Tarkovski Grant, a film festival submission fee waiver package with an average value of about $500. This not only saves you a lot of money, but it also recognizes your work as something to watch for during the selection procedure, making a selection with another partner film festival more likely - but of course, never guaranteed. The Tarkovski Grant supports hundreds of filmmakers each year in their challenging journeys as independent filmmakers, by promoting existing films, no matter the genre, style or length.
Best Narrative Feature Film
Best Documentary Feature Film
Best Narrative Short Film
Best Documentary Short Film
Best Animated Film
Best Experimental Film
Meilleur Film Francophone
Best Caribbean and Latin American Film
Best of the Web
Best Music Video
THE TARKOVSKI GRANT
All selected filmmakers will receive The Tarkovski Grant, a film festival submission fee waiver package with an average value of about $500. This not only saves you a lot of money, but it also recognizes your work as something to watch for during the selection procedure, making a selection with another partner film festival more likely - but of course, never guaranteed. The Tarkovski Grant supports hundreds of filmmakers each year in their challenging journeys as independent filmmakers, by promoting existing films, no matter the genre, style or length. The Tarkovski Grant is supported by film festivals from all over the world. Find out more here: www.thetarkovskigrant.org
THE PRODUCER'S NIGHT NOMINATION
All selected films are also automatically in the running for The Producer's Night. Producer's Night is an opportunity for independent filmmakers to have their work screened to a private group of elite Hollywood producers. For many directors, it could mean their ticket to the mainstream. The exclusive screening will show the best of independent cinema from the past year's film festivals at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute in West Hollywood. More information: www.producersnight.com
FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO VIDEOMAKER
In an added effort to support new and emerging filmmakers, our festival will offer a free year of access to Videomaker's digital magazine to all filmmakers submitting their work. More information: www.videomaker.com
FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO WHUSH.COM
All selected filmmakers will receive a free subscription to Whush.com for 3 months. Whush.com is a streaming service that has teamed up with over 20 film festivals worldwide, exclusively streaming official selections during the festival period. More information: https://www.whush.com
All selected filmmaker will be invited for an exclusive one-on-one interview on www.iFilmFestival.com. The interview will appear on www.iFilmFestival.com, and will be shared on the festival's Facebook page.
The Martinique International Film Festival accept all forms and genres. All non-English language films must be subtitled in English. Entry does not guarantee acceptance into the festival. Submissions WILL NOT be returned. We also accept submissions that have premiered elsewhere and that may have distribution agreements already in place. Rough cuts and incomplete projects are not accepted. Multiple entries are allowed, however a separate entry form must be submitted for each.
EXHIBITION & SCREENING
Streaming sessions are scheduled during the festival at the discretion of the Martinique International Film Festival. Whilst every effort will be made to adhere to the published schedule, Martinique International Film Festival reserves the right to make changes at any time for any reason. Martinique International Film Festival will not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in scheduling. No film may be withdrawn from the festival program after its selection. If chosen as an official selection, Martinique International Film Festival is granted the permission to stream the film on the website of the Martinique International Film Festival and all associated streaming platforms. Producer will indemnify the organisers of the festival against all claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses (including legal fees), proceedings and losses resulting from the screening of the film at the Festival or from claims by any third parties.
LOSS OR DAMAGE
Although every precaution will be taken to prevent loss or damage to materials while in the possession of the festival, Martinique International Film Festival is not responsible should any materials be damaged while in transit to or from, or while in the possession of the festival.
The filmmaker holds the Martinique International Film Festival, its management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from entry. The filmmaker certifies to have full rights. Producer will indemnify the organisers of the Festival against all claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses (including legal fees), proceedings and losses resulting from the sreaming of the film at the Festival or from claims by any third parties.
The festival does not offer streaming fees for its films. By submitting through FilmFreeway you are agreeing to NOT request a screening/streaming fee as a requirement for your film's participation in the festival, should your film get selected for the program.
Since the festival only requires a nominal entry fee and grants free submissions to local filmmakers and filmmakers who're eligible for the The Connecting Cultures Program (https://www.connectingculturesprogram.com) , we will NOT accept requests for other entry fee waivers.