At the Marda Loop Justice Film Festival, we present some of the world’s best fresh documentaries on the issues that are important to us as individuals, Canadians, global citizens, and humans. We’ve brought influential documentaries from international filmmakers to more than 30,000 people in the Calgary area and across Canada, and thanks to our sponsors and donors, we’ve done it all free of charge.
Since our start in 2006, we’ve grown from a three-day festival in two venues to a seven-day festival in four venues. In addition to the annual festival, we also present justREEL, a year-round film series.
Every screening, whether it’s a festival presentation or part of justREEL, includes an audience-driven discussion with the filmmaker or experts on the film’s topic; these conversations are lively, inclusive and enlightening, occasionally charged or even contentious, but always thought-provoking.
To be eligible for consideration, all films must meet the following requirements:
• The film must be a non-fictional documentary. No dramas or drama-documentaries will be considered.
• Documentaries must be greater than six minutes.
• Documentaries must focus on human rights, the environment, animal rights, or social issues.
• Documentaries should highlight contemporary issues, or issues that continue to be relevant.
• Post-production completed no earlier than January 1st, 2020
• Films should not have been previously screened in Calgary Canada, and cannot be available on the internet.
• Films must be in their original language and have English subtitles if the original language is non-English. It is preferred that the subtitles are built-in to the film.
• An entry fee must be paid. In exceptional circumstances, a discounted waiver may be considered.
• Projects previously submitted to the Festival and not programmed will not be reconsidered.
Selected films for the following September - June programming season will be notified at the start of July.
Because the MLJFF is a volunteer organization and charges no admission to screenings, we ask that you choose to screen your work for free.
By submitting a film project to the to Marda Loop Justice Film Festival Society (hereafter called the “MLJFF”) for consideration for the 2021 Marda Loop Justice Film Festival and it's 2021-2022 film series justREEL you acknowledge and agree to the following:
1. You represent and warrant to MLJFF that:
• You are are authorized to submit this film on behalf of yourself or others.
• Exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity.
• The film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding.
• Exhibition of the film will not violate/infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or other personal/property right of any person/entity, and that the film does not include a defamation of any person/entity. You have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind associated with the exhibition of the film.
2. If the film is accepted by the MLJFF for it's programming season you acknowledge:
• That MLJFF’s exhibition of the film does not and will not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between MLJFF and myself and/or the Film’s Owners on the other. • I further acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that I and we understand that neither I nor any of the Film’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, the MLJFF or the Festival in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the MLJFF’s selection of the Film for the Festival. I and the Film’s Owners understand and acknowledge that the selection of the Film for inclusion in the Festival does not and will not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the MLJFF or the Festival of the content of the Film or any opinion expressed therein.
• You grant each of the following rights to the MLJFF and the Festival, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from/relating to the film for promotional purposes; and the right to issue publicity concerning the filmmakers and the film including use of all associated names, likenesses and biographical information.I also agree to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director and producer(s) of the Film, and to grant the MLJFF and the Festival, at their sole and absolute discretion, the right to provide this information to film industry organizations that sponsor Festival events.
4. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the MLJFF , from any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by MLJFF at any time in connection with the film or the MLJFF’s use, handling or consideration thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the MLJFF or the Festival, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions.
5. You warrant and agree, on behalf of yourself (and each of the Film’s Owners) that:
• The film is being submitted to MLJFF voluntarily, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the MLJFF to accept the film for inclusion it's programming, to acknowledge the submission of the film, or to return the film to me or others.
• I further agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of the Film’s Owners, that I and the Film’s Owners, in submitting the Film for consideration, are waiving, forfeiting, foregoing and relinquishing any right that I or we might otherwise have to assert any claim or commence any proceeding in any forum or tribunal against the MLJFF.
7. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that the MLJFF has made no claims, representations or guarantees, and has provided no assurances, in relation to the internal process utilized by the MLJFF with respect to selection of films for inclusion in the Festival, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the MLJFF or the Festival, the Film’s Owners, or my or their related parties with comments, feedback or other information pertaining to the viewing or consideration of the Film by the MLJFF for possible inclusion in the Festival. 8. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that, if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my province, I have provided the MLJFF with signed, written consent from my parent or legal guardian.
9. By submitting your film to MLJFF, you accept all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Terms and Conditions.