Welcome to Madura, a place with profound spiritualism, religion, and open-hearted people. Madura has a long history and patriotic trait that shaped what Indonesia is now. The island is ruled under the administration of East Java and located only on the other side of the Strait of Madura that is very close to Surabaya, the capital city of East Java. A few years ago, the strait was bridged by the beautiful Suramadu Bridge.
Even though Madura is very near to a cosmopolitan city, the island kept its originality and uniqueness. Back in the 16 century, they are a powerful and independent kingdom. It was famous for their fearless sailors as well as their unique culture and tradition, like the bull racing, traditional cloth, and the international famous herbal drink.
The Madura International Film Festival wishes to make the island and the culture famous internationally to profoundly honor the art the island has and the bravery of the Indonesian ancestors. We want to communicate the art of filmmaking and the modern film industry with the past, to honor the uniqueness of our culture and tradition and the good value systems that have been firmly held by our heroes and ancestors.
Madura International Film Festival invites all filmmakers, newcomers, film enthusiast, and students to shine their masterpiece in our Festival and make their voice heard through the work of art.
Awards Ceremony will be held and hosted in Madura, East Java, in cooperation with the government of Madura and the Royal Palace in Madura. Many kings and queens from Nusantara will be invited. The festival will also be featuring screenings, film-making workshops, and a special meet-and-greet with the king. Winning filmmakers will also be introduced to the Madura custom and tradition.
Besides the formal and exquisite Event, winning filmmakers would have the chance to have a journey of the picturesque Mount Bromo, that sits in the middle of a dessert look-alike called the "Sea of Sand", in the Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park. Bromo is also well known as the best sunrise experience in the world.
We are searching for film and documentaries about heroes and heroine, courage, spiritualism, religion, animal and tribe tradition, symbols, rituals, art, culture, literature, fable, ancient stories, ancient kingdoms, war, and inspirational films and documentaries about life-changing moments and events, showing strong characters. Editing, cinematography, and flow of the story will be highly put into consideration by the juries.
International movies with various spoken language are welcomed but must be added with English subtitles.
We don't accept films with nudity, vulgarity, and films with prejudice, discrimination, and hatred message.
Madura International Film Festival will give awards for Overall Winner, the Platinum Star of Madura Award, the Gold Star of Madura Award, the Silver Star of Madura Award, and special jury awards (if necessary). All accepted filmmakers are honored at the Awards Ceremony. During the Ceremony, the overall winner will receive an exquisite statue.
All winning filmmakers are invited and will be granted winning sash and certificates for their respective winning categories.
This agreement pertains to all Work(s) submitted to Madura International Film Festival (MIFF):
Be it known to any filmmaker or submitter, by submitting your film(s) or screenplay to Madura International Film Festival (the Festival), you agree to all TERMS AND CONDITIONS below in full.
1. The submitter guarantee that all rights and releases have been legally secured, including music rights, songs, etc and the submitter releases the Festival and all its member from any legal action whatsoever.
2. If nominated, 2 DVD PAL and 1 (one) Blu-ray (optional) or DCP (optional), must be sent. Mark case and DVD, with the title, length, and director's name. Please mark your film with "No Commercial Value - For Cultural Purposes Only" either on the envelope and the shipping invoices. Although every possible care will be taken with DVDs while in our possession, however, we cannot accept responsibility for unexpected loss, stolen, or damage to entries. Please do not send originals. We do not receive downloads of any kind.
3. All transportation/shipping costs (including customs clearance) to Jakarta, plus fees for insurance while in transit, must be borne by the participants (please write: For Cultural Purposes only - Not for commercial use). The Festival Director reserves the right to refuse any shipment involving unpaid costs.
4. All submissions should be sent pre-paid. We will not return your screening and exhibition copies.
5. All submission fees are non-refundable.
6. All selection committees' and juries' decisions are finals.
7. Only producers or directors can receive the physical awards at the award ceremony.
8. Regardless of the Prize and the winning status, winning filmmakers who can't attend the Awards Ceremony in Indonesia, will only receive laurels.
9. The festival has the right to disqualify a winning film for any reasons, without having to explain the reasons to the submitter.
10. Submission of an entry gives the festival permission to have accepted work exhibited, photographed, locally telecast, and reproduced either in part or whole, for educational or publicity purposes. Filmmakers can request in writing that their material should not be used for such purposes after the Festival.
11. We do not pay any screening fees. Not all winning films will be screened. The festival has the full right to select the winning films to be screened.
12. The Festival Directorate may deny participation to any film unable to meet the technical requirements for a public screening of good quality.
13. The Festival Management reserves the right to make changes in the profile of the Festival if it becomes necessary to do so due to circumstances beyond his/her control.
14. All filmmakers/submitters are expected to keep communications with the Festival professional and in good taste. Failure to do so may result in disqualification at any point in the adjudication process, including the nullification of Official Selection status or nominations. That stated, the Festival will only communicate with the person who submitted his/her film to the festival, and that Festival should not be expected to communicate with any other persons.
15. The festival has the right to work with any institution and partner festivals for all kind of cooperation, including joint events or promotions.
16. The Festival reserves the right to make any necessary changes in regulations or scheduling.
17. The submitter/filmmaker also acknowledges that remediation of any sort will be limited to a refund of their submission fees.
18. Films could be from any year.
19. All disputes in respect of any matter relating to the International Film Festivals shall be subjected to the exclusive jurisdiction of the competent courts in North Jakarta. Any dispute arising as a result of submission to the Festival will have a recourse limited to the lesser of either the submission fee paid or the cost of correcting the issue.
By submitting to our Festival, the submitter/filmmaker:
- indicates that they have read, understand, agree with, and will comply all of the Terms and Condition above, and accept all of the terms and conditions herein, in their entirety, without modification.
- agree to indemnify us and hold our employees and us, owners, affiliates, and partners harmless from all claims and liability associated with your participation or entry to the Festival.