Now more than ever, children, teachers, and parents yearn for messages of hope and courage to face the challenges that lie ahead. The MY HERO web site hosts thousands of stories of remarkable individuals written by children and adults alike. These stories serve to remind us that we all have the potential to overcome great obstacles and achieve our dreams by following in the footsteps of our heroes.
The MY HERO International Film Festival brings together professional and youth filmmakers who honor local and global heroes working for positive change in the world.
Prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college and professionals in a variety of categories including: documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more.
STUDENT FILMMAKERS SUBMIT FOR FREE. Please contact us for waiver.
The Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award, sponsored by One World One Ocean, is presented to the film that best promotes the stewardship of our oceans and marine life. FINAL DEADLINE FOR THIS AWARD IS MAY 1st.
The Ron Kovic Peace Prize will honor the filmmaker who best addresses the issues of Peace in a short film.
The Dan Eldon Activist Award will honor the filmmaker who best addresses the theme of activism in a short film.
The Relationships First will honor short films that depict, in innovative ways, the powerful and poignant connections in any type of contemporary family relationships.
The Women Transforming Media Award honors women filmmakers as well as films highlighting incredible women who are transforming media.
The Immersive Storytelling Award is presented to innovative Virtual Reality content that promotes engagement, activism & social good.
ALL WORK NEEDS TO BE APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN:
MY HERO will not accept films that promote hatred, violence, or intolerance. We strive to be an all-ages friendly site, so please keep that in mind when submitting a film for consideration. Work submitted to this film festival must celebrate a hero, explore concepts of heroism, or examine hero-related topics.
1. All work must be original, unless you have the express written consent of the original owner for use in your work.
2. Only videos 10 MINUTES AND UNDER will be accepted. This includes excerpts from longer works.
3. Acceptable film formats: Links to work in Vimeo preferred, Youtube accepted.
* H264, Mp4 Preferred.
4. If your film is selected to screen on our website then we will contact you to complete the required release/consent forms.
5. A panel of judges will review the films and award individuals or classes in each of the following categories:
* Elementary School Student
* Middle School Student
* High School Student
* College/Grad Student
6. 1st Place winners will receive a certificate. Selected works will be featured on the MY HERO web site throughout the year. Sponsored Awards (listed above) come with cash prizes from $500 - $1500.00 (see website for details: myhero.com/special-awards).
We prefer Submissions with a downloadable, public link to the film.
Rights & Clearances
By submitting your film to MY HERO, you grant MY HERO permission and rights to place your film, if accepted, in its entirety on the MY HERO film festival website (this is mainly an ONLINE film festival). You also grant MY HERO rights to publish selected screenshots from your work on the MY HERO Web site and in promotional materials. You also grant MY HERO non-exclusive rights to use your film for promotional and educational purposes.