MUTE is an international festival devoted to experimental film and video, aiming at investigate the relationship between image and sound.
The mission of MUTE is to provide local and regional audiences with an opportunity to view a wide variety of contemporary experimental works, focused on artistic excellence, different styles, forms, and nationalities.
Part of the cultural program of Matera 2019 European Capital of Culture and spin off of Ma/In festival, MUTE has become an independent festival that offers a program of live cinema, performances, live sonorization of classic silent film.
The third edition will be held from 21st of May to 6th of June 2021 in Basilicata, South Italy.
21-22-23 of May in Potenza - Cineteatro Don Bosco
4-5-6 of June in Matera - Auditorium Casa cava
Over the span of 6 days, the festival will show premieres, retrospectives, tributes, audio-visual performances, and discussion panels.
MUTE Festival is opened to artists who want to submit experimental works.
The call is composed by 3 different categories:
- Experimental Mutations: found footage, essay film, video performance, expanded cinema, experimental animation, experimental documentary, video art;
- Visual Mutations: virtual reality, 360° inmersive cinema;
- Sound Mutations: new sonorization of short silent film or documentary or footage.
Only short films with a maximum runtime of 20 minutes. No restrictions on the date of completion, premiere status or whether your work has been made available online
An international jury will selected the artworks to be screened. Only selected works will be in the festival’s program.
Official Selection: Films selected for screening will be notified via email.
Award Winners: The winners (one per categories) will be invited to accompany their film to the MUTE festival and accommodation expenses will be covered by the Organization.
The festival is organized by LOXOSconcept, a non-profit cultural centre, active in the realization of experimental movies, sound art works, artistic installations and promoting research into the aesthetic, analytical, musicological and scientific aspects of music.
- Winner Experimental Mutations
- Winner Visual Mutations
- Winner Sound Mutations
- Registration for the Festival competition, takes place exclusively through FilmFreeway
The festival registration fee varies from €10.00 to €20.00 for each work
- By submitting, the participant filmmaker/artist acknowledges and agrees that if selected for the festival - their film will be screened in a live venue in front of live audience.
- By submitting, the participant filmmaker/artist acknowledges and agrees for the MUTE Festival to use publicity material (film, production stills, posters, clip etc.) from selected films to promote the festival in print and online.
- Selected works will remain in the archive of the festival and be used during screenings; details of screenings will be communicated to the artists prior to the event;
- All selected works will be promoted through our social media and website with a dedicated page with synopsis, film stills and trailer. For this purpose, we recommend that projects must be fully entered on FilmFreeway, including film stills, production pictures, downloadable poster, and trailer or teaser.
- The Artist certifies that she/he is the sole author of the Artwork, that this is an original work that does not copy other preexisting works.