After careful consideration, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the physical screenings and seminars for this year's 2020 MFI North Fork International Film Festival. Needless to say, we are heartbroken.
At present, we all need human connection more than ever, but public health and the well-being of our participants are our highest priorities. While we cannot gather together side by side, it is important to stay connected. To that end, we are in the process of creating a virtual experience for our film festival to take place at the end of August. More information will be forthcoming.
MFI has always been about resiliency and community. We fiercely believe in the power of our artists and know that together we will continue in our mission of education and creative expression in the art of filmmaking.
Stay safe and be well.
MFI North Fork Film Festival is a free arts experience featuring three days of film screenings, workshops, seminars and Q&A’s with renown film industry professionals.
The 2019 Festival events included: the INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM COMPETITION, the MFI FILM SHOWCASE (student films created during MFI’s Gold Program) , AN EVENING WITH CHAZZ PALMINTERI performing 10 minutes of “A BRONX TALE” his iconic original one man show, panel discussions with Emmy Award winning Screenwriter Bill Finkelstein (“the good fight”), Academy Award Winning Filmmaker Chris Wedge (“Ice Age”) and Emmy Award Winning Actor Joe Pantoliano (“Sopranos”) .
2020 screenings and seminars to be announced soon.
ABOUT MANHATTAN FILM INSTITUTE
Manhattan Film Institute is a boutique conservatory with a world-class faculty. It is a place that nurtures aspirations and enriches careers for both budding and established artists.
Every year for the past nine years, MFI has accepted 25 actors and 25 directors to participate in the GOLD program, making 25 original short films in two weeks. The program includes several prestigious guest speakers and culminates with a screening of the Gold Program Shorts at the historic GREENPORT THEATRE. 2020 marks the second year MFI will include a short film competition block to our July Festival.
$1000 -1st Place
$750 - 2nd Place
$500 - 3rd Place
Select films will win the opportunity to be produced during the MFI 2020 Gold Program and screened at the 9th annual MFI North Fork Film Festival.
Screenplay competition judges include: Academy award-winning screenwriter Bobby Moresco, Academy award-nominated actor Chazz Palminteri, Director Dito Montiel, Producer Rebecca Cammarata, and Emmy winning screenwriter Bill Finkelstein.
SHORT FILM COMPETITION
Best Short Film
Best Animated Short Film
MFI Spirit Award
For more information about our amazing film program, where you can learn how we work and watch some of the films from last year's competition, visit manhattanfilminstitute.com
SCREENWRITING COMPETITION RULES
- By submitting your screenplay to the competition, you grant permission for MFI filmmaking program organizers to produce a short film based on your work during its summer filmmaking Programs. Produced films would only be used for Mfi and/or student promotional purposes. You will retain full credit and further underlying rights for your work and subsequent productions.
- Your screenplay may be written in any genre (e.g. horror, comedy, drama)
- Your screenplay should be written for a film of no more than five minutes, which is five pages in standard screenplay format.
- Your screenplay should require no more than two speaking parts.
- Your screenplay should require no more than one location.
- The judges will make their selection in part based on the production requirements of the screenplays. Keep in mind that your stories be considered low-budget “indie” production budget.
- The producers of the short film retain the right to make changes or improvements to the screenplay to allow for more efficient production.
- While the screenwriter grants the right to MFI to produce a film based on the winning screenplays, to exhibit the film, and to use the film for promotional purposes, the screenwriter retains all other rights to the work.
- If the winning screenplay is written by a student under the age of eighteen, he or she must submit a permission slip signed by a parent or legal guardian before he or she can collect a prize or have his or her screenplay produced by MFI.
- Your screenplay should be submitted as a PDF file.
By entering the MFI Contest, you acknowledge and agree that contest Judges receive numerous submissions of ideas, stories and scripts, and that your entry, and the ideas and stories embodied in it, may be similar or identical to other material already received and/or developed by one or more of the Judges.
You also agree that you are not entitled to any compensation or credit for use by contest Judges of any such other material.
By agreeing to these Rules and Conditions you agree that you have read the rules of the contest and that you have the authorization to submit this screenplay to the MFI Screenwriting contest. You further agree that your screenplay is owned by you (and any co-author(s)).
The entrant shall indemnify and hold harmless MFI, its employees, contractors, agents and Judges from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, and/or publicity to the Screenplay entered.
SHORT FILM SUBMISSION ELIGIBILITY
- There is no premiere policy
- Films must be under 23 minutes in length
- Films must be submitted with an online screener through FilmFreeway.com
- Seeking Short Films of all genres and forms. Documentary, Music Videos, Experimental Works, Animation, and Video Art
Films in competition must supply a .MOV file using the Quicktime video codec and the AAC audio codec or a DCP file.
MFI FILM GROUP INC retains the right to use images, sounds and excerpts from the films selected to screen at the 2020 MFI NORTH FORK FILM FESTIVAL for promotional purposes in all media and on the Manhattan Film Institute website and social media outlets.
By submitting your film, you agree to indemnify, defend, release, discharge and hold harmless MFI FILM GROUP INC, its affiliates, employees, officers, directors, licensees and assigns from any and all claims, liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to any claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity, false light, defamation, copyright and/or trademark infringement.