“MASTER OF ART” FILM FESTIVAL 2018
Master of Art (MofA) is the first and only international film festival on the Balkans for Art Documentaries
Our goal is to present the best documentaries produced and released after January 1, 2016 in the field of music, dance and theatre, art, architecture and design, literature, video art and advertising, contemporary art, installation art and protest art; culinary art; art in video games; art for children Thus the festival will lintroduce the Bulgarian audience with the contemporary trends in this area.
The mission of MofA Film Festival is by presenting documentaries - films and television productions of independent producers and directors to provide an alternative to mass culture and create an opportunity for professionals in the field of documentary cinema, music, dance, theater, visual arts, architecture and literature to meet and to contribute to a dialogue and cooperation between them; establish MofA as a forum for young talents by creating new opportunities for their full development and creative performance.
Master of Art Film Festival is organised by Spotlight Production Company, The National Palace of Culture and ‘Master of Art’ Foundation.
The festival funds are raised by participation fees, financial subsidies, donations, sponsorship and advertising.
The third edition of the festival will take place from 12 to 30 April 2018 in 5 movie theaters in Sofia - Cinema Lumière Lidl, Cinema Odeon, Euro Cinema, Cinema G8 and Cinema House.
The OFFICIAL SELECTION Laurea is for all films selected in the following categories:
COMPETITION CATEGORIES – DOCUMENTARIES
I. ARCHITECTURE and DESIGN - documentaries for architects, past and present architectural achievements, historic buildings.
II. ART FOR CHILDREN – documentaries on art created especially for children.
III.CONTEMPORARY ART, INSTALLATION ART, PROTEST ART - documentaries for contemporary art, art installations and protest art.
IV. CULINARY ART - documentaries on art of preparing, cooking and serving food.
V. FINE ART and PHOTOGRAPHY - documentaries about artists and sculptures from different eras, galleries and exhibitions.
VI. LITERATURE - documentaries about writers, poets, and/ or their works.
VII. MUSIC and DANCE - documentaries about music, composers and musicians - opera, classics, folk, jazz, pop and rock; dancers and choreographers - ballet, folk, traditional and contemporary dance, theater and documentary theater, acting challenges on stage.
VIII. THEATRE and CINEMA - documentaries about theatre, acting challenges on stage; notable filmmakers and actors.
COMPETITION CATEGORY – VIDEO ART
(This category has a separate Award and the submitted videos are not competing with the documentaries and video games in the other categories.)
IX. VIDEO ART AND ART ADVERTISING – video art, experimental videos and art advertising.
COMPETITION CATEGORY – VIDEO GAMES
(This category has a separate Award and the submitted games are not competing with the documentaries and videos in the other categories.)
X. ART in the VIDEO GAMES - video games for any age.
OUT of COMETITION CATEGORY
XI. “AMERICA FOR BULGARIA” PANORAMA - this category includes exceptional documentaries on art regardless of their date of production.
• “Master of Art” Award- Best Documentary of the festival - a statuette and 5,000 Euro bestowed by MASTER CARD
• "Master of Bulgarian Art" / "America for Bulgaria Award"- Best Bulgarian Documentary– a statuette, diploma and 1000 Euro, bestowed by "America for Bulgaria" Foundation
• "Master of Short Art" - Best short art documentary – a statuette and diploma.
• Best Documentary in ARCHITECTURE and DESIGN – a diploma.
• Best Documentary in ART FOR CHILDREN – a diploma.
• Best Documentary in CULINARY ART – a diploma.
• Best Documentary in CONTEMPORARY ART, INSTALLATION ART, PROTEST ART - a diploma.
• Best Documentary in FINE ART and PHOTOGRAPHY - a diploma.
• Best Documentary in LITERATURE - a diploma.
• Best Documentary in MUSIC and DANCE - a diploma.
• Best Documentary in THEATER and CINEMA - a diploma.
• Audience Award - a statuette and diploma.
• "Master of Video Art" - Best art video – a statuette and diploma.
• "Master of Art in Video Games" - Best Art Concept in Video Games - a statuette and diploma.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
• The festival is open to creators of television and independent documentaries, video games, video art and art advertising from all over the world
• Only films produced / released after 1st of January, 2016 will be selected for the competition.
• All films submitting to the festival should not be presented in cinemas or broadcast on Bulgarian television and / or distributed on DVD on the territory of Bulgaria. No restrictions for screenings in other countries.
• Bulgarian documentaries submitting to the festival must have not been submitted to any previous edition of "Master of Art" Film Festival. No restrictions for screening / broadcasting in Bulgaria or in other countries.
• The organisers of the Festival set a five-member international jury.
• The Festival jury will select the winners.
• Films in other languages rather than English (incl. those in Bulgarian) must be subtitled in English.
The submission should be made only through the following festival platforms: FilmFreeway
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – Documentaries.
CALL FOR ENTRIES – June 3, 2017
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – August 31, 2017 – 11 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – December 31, 2017 – 22 $
LATE DEADLINE – January 31, 2018 – 33 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – February 7, 2018 – 44 $
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – VIDEO ART and ART ADVERTISING and ART in VIDEO GAMES.
CALL FOR ENTRIES – June 3, 2017
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – August 31, 2017 – 5 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – December 31, 2017 – 10 $
LATE DEADLINE – January 31, 2018 – 15 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – February 7, 2018 – 20 $
The selected documentaries, art videos and video games will be notified on February 22, 2018.
OFFICIAL SELECTION and SCREENINGS
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a file with a time coded dialogue list of the English text/subtitles. The subtitled in English films must provide as well, in separate file the text subtitles and the transcript of the film in the original language.
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a short synopsis, 2-3 still photos and a .pdf file with the artwork / poster (if any).
• The selected films will be translated and subtitled in Bulgarian by the organisers.
• The screening copies of the selected films must be provided in one of the following formats: BluRay/DCP/H264/APPLE PRORES FILE/.mp4
• The screening copies must be delivered to the festival before February 28, 2018.
• All postal expenses (if using mail to send BlueRay Disc or Hard drive with the screening copy) are paid by Applicant/Producer/Distributor.
• MofA shall assume no responsibility for loss or damage to any original copy of the film.
• Organisers are obliged to show the films only as a part of 2018 “Master of Art” Film Festival Programme.
• Applicants attest and guarantee that they possess all the necessary rights and authorizations
• Following the consent of all copyrights MofA reserves the right to broadcast parts of the films (1 to 3 min) on TV shows with non-commercial purpose.
• Only DCP screening copies of the selected films will be returned to applicant/producer/distributer.
• The festival will pay the accommodation of 2 (two) nights of one representative (Director/Cameraman/ Producer) of a selected film. All travel expenses are at the expense of the participant.
• By submitting through FilmFreeway, the Applicant agrees to the Terms and Conditions of the festival.