“MASTER OF ART” FILM FESTIVAL 2021
Master of Art Film Festival is unique cultural event and the only in Eastern Europe international film festival for Documentaries on Art. It takes place in Bulgaria – Sofia, Plovdiv and Varna.
The festival focuses on different artistic approaches on Art.
Its program is dedicated to Documentary cinema that represents the artistic vision both on history of Art, Contemporary Art forms and to celebrate the multicultural diversity in our time.
Our goal is to show documentaries that manifest the talents and the creative process in the following categories: Architecture, Design and Fashion, Art and Power, Contemporary art, Culinary art, Fine Art, Photography, Literature, Music and Dance, Theatre and Cinema.
Documentaries produced and released after January 1, 2018 are eligible to the competition of Master of Art Film Festival. The festival pays attention also on modern tendencies in Video Art and Advertising.
The mission of Master of Art Film Festival is to create an alternative platform to the mass culture. We want to create an opportunity and to contribute a dialogue and cooperation between artists. The festival is the biggest forum in Eastern Europe for young documentary filmmakers, tempted to tell inspiring stories about the Art.
Master of Art Film Festival is organized by Spotlight Production Company, The National Palace of Culture and ‘Master of Art’ Foundation with the financial support of Municipality of Sofia, AURUBIS BULGARIA, Bulgarian National Film Center and etc.
The festival funds are raised by participation fees, financial subsidies, donations, sponsorship and tickets.
The 6th edition of the festival will be organized in three parts:
• Online - in February 2021 on a special Festival platform available only from Bulgaria - The online edition will present the all of the Officially selected short documentaries, all of the Officially selected productions in Video Art and Advertising category and part of the Officially selected feature documentaries.
• Live - in April 2021 in art cinemas in Sofia, Plovdiv and Varna – The live edition will present all of the Officially selected feature documentaries, part of the Officially selected short documentaries and part of the Officially selected productions in Video Art and Advertising.
• Open air edition in summer 2021
The OFFICIAL SELECTION laurel is given to all films selected in the following categories:
“OFFICIAL SELECTION – COMPETITION” laurel
COMPETITION CATEGORIES – DOCUMENTARIES
I. ARCHITECTURE - documentaries for architects, past and present architectural achievements and historic buildings.
II. ART and CHILDREN - documentaries about the relationship between the art and children
III. ART and POWER - documentaries about the relationship between the artists and totalitarian regimes and politic.
IIII. CONTEMPORARY ART - documentaries about contemporary art the art of XX and XXI century.
V. CULINARY ART - documentaries on the art of preparation, cooking and serving food.
VI. DESIGN and FASHION – Interion designers, fashion designers and their works.
VII. FINE ART - documentaries about the Fine Art from different eras, galleries and exhibitions.
VIII. LITERATURE - documentaries about writers, poets, their works and libraries.
IX. MUSIC and DANCE - documentaries about music, composers and musicians - opera, classics, folk, jazz, pop and rock; dancers and choreographers - ballet, folk, traditional and contemporary dance.
X. PHOTOGRAPHY - documentaries about the Art of Photography, photographed historic events and Photographers.
XI. THEATRE and CINEMA - documentaries about theatre, acting challenges on stage; notable filmmakers and actors.
COMPETITION CATEGORY – VIDEO ART and ART ADVERTISING
(This category has a separate Award and the submitted videos are not competing with the documentaries and video games in the other categories.)
XII.VIDEO ART and ART ADVERTISING – video art, experimental videos, art advertisings and Advertisement.
COMPETITION CATEGORY – MORE THAN ART
XIII. MORE THAN ART - competition for Best Art Film in development
In addition to all fantastic documentaries for art that are submitted to festival every year filmmakers will have a new opportunity in 2021 edition. We are creating The Master of Art Lab and a special category “More Than Art” for projects in development. Our intention is to support the process of birth of new documentaries dedicated to art in very beginning. Authors are invited to submit their project for Lab competition categories where they compete for the Best Art Film in Development with a special financial support from the festival. The application written in English has to contain synopsis and visual explication not less than five pages and authors filmography. Additional materials like photos or teaser could be attached. Applications must be received until January 23, 2021. If you have an idea for a new amazing art documentary and need initial support - apply and start your achievement in documentary filmmaking! If you win our “More Than Art” competition your world premiere could be at Master of Art Film Festival.
“OFFICIAL SELECTION – OUT of COMPETITION” laurel
OUT of COMETITION CATEGORIES
XIIII.PANORAMA - this category includes exceptional documentaries on art regardless of their date of production.
XV.ART HORIZONS - Documentaries that are highly appreciated by the preselecting committee.
AWARDS - DOCUMENTARY
"MASTER OF ART – AURUBIS AWARD” - Best Documentary of the festival - 5000 EURO cash prize bestow by AURUBIS BULGARIA
"MASTER OF BULGARIAN ART DOCUMENTARY" - Best Bulgarian Art Documentary - 1000 EURO cash prize
“MASTER OF ART DEBUT” – Award for Best Debut Art Documentary
"MASTER OF SHORT ART" – Award for Best Short Art Documentary
Audience Award – Online edition Best Short Art Documentary
Audience Award – Online edition Best Art Documentary
Audience Award – Live edition Best Art Documentary
Best Documentary in ARCHITECTURE
Best Documentary in ART and CHILDREN
Best Documentary in ART and POWER
Best Documentary in DESIGN and FASHION
Best Documentary in CULINARY ART
Best Documentary in CONTEMPORARY ART
Best Documentary in FINE ART
Best Documentary in PHOTOGRAPHY
Best Documentary in LITERATURE
Best Documentary in MUSIC and DANCE
Best Documentary in THEATER and CINEMA
AWARD – VIDEO ART
"MASTER OF VIDEO ART" - Best Art Video
AWARD - PROJECT IN DEVELOPMENT
"MORE THAN ART" Award for best Documentary on Art project in development
TERMS & CONDITIONS
• The festival is open to creators of television and independent documentaries, video art and art advertising from all over the world
• Only films produced / released after January 1, 2018 could be selected for the competition.
• All films submitting to the festival should not be presented in cinemas or broadcast on Bulgarian television and / or distributed on DVD or online on the territory of Bulgaria. No restrictions for screenings in other countries.
• Bulgarian documentaries submitting the festival must have not been submitted to any previous edition of "Master of Art" Film Festival. Priority is given to premiere titles.
• The Festival sets an international jury.
• The Festival jury will select the winners.
• Films in other languages rather than English (incl. those in Bulgarian) must be subtitled in English.
The submission should be made only through FilmFreeway
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – Documentaries.
CALL FOR ENTRIES – May 14, 2020
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – June 30, 2020 – 15 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – October 31, 2020 – 20 $
LATE DEADLINE – January 31, 2021 – 25 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – February 20, 2021 – 30 $
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – VIDEO ART and ART ADVERTISING
CALL FOR ENTRIES – May 13, 2020
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – June 30, 2020 – 5 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – October 31, 2020 – 10 $
LATE DEADLINE – January 31, 2021 – 15 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE –February 20, 2021 – 20 $
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – Pithing session MORE THAN ART - for the Best Art Film in Development
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – June 30, 2020 – 30 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – October 31, 2020 – 40 $
LATE DEADLINE – January 31, 2021 – 50 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – February 20, 2021 – 60 $
The selected documentaries, art videos, and projects in development will be notified on February 24, 2021.
OFFICIAL SELECTION and SCREENINGS
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a file with a time coded dialogue list/transcript of the English text/subtitles. The subtitled in English films must provide as well, in separate file the text subtitles and the transcript/dialogue list of the film in the original language.
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a short synopsis, 2-3 still photos and a .pdf file with the artwork / poster (if any).
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a file of the film trailer and a dialogue list of the trailer
• The selected films will be translated and subtitled in Bulgarian by the festival.
• The screening copies of the selected films must be provided in one of the following formats: BluRay/DCP/H264/APPLE PRORES FILE/.mp4
• The screening copies must be delivered to the festival before March 9, 2021.
• All postal expenses (if using mail service to send BlueRay Disc or Hard drive with the screening copy) are paid by Applicant/Producer/Distributor.
• MofA shall assume no responsibility for loss or damage to any original copy of the film.
• Organizers are obliged to show the films as a part of 2021 “Master of Art” Film Festival screenings.
• Applicants attest and guarantee that they possess all the necessary rights and authorizations
• Following the consent of all copyrights MofA reserves the right to broadcast parts of the films (1 to 3 min) on TV shows with non-commercial purpose.
• The festival will pay the accommodation of 1 (one) night of 1 (one) representative (Director/Cameraman/ Producer) of a selected film. All travel expenses are at the expense of the participant.
• By submitting through FilmFreeway, the Applicant agrees with the Terms and Conditions of the festival.