Tongues on Fire is a not-for-profit organisation and our goal is to provide a platform for independent film and arts with a link to South Asia. We celebrate South Asian culture, its vibrancy and its many dimensions through story telling, live events, master classes and film. The company provides a platform for emerging talent – to commission emerging artists, showcase their work, to offer networking occasions with industry leaders and to provide inspiration and learning opportunities.
Tongues on Fire is also the producer of the London Asian Film Festival that aims to entertain, inform, educate and affect change in mood, emotion or thought. This annual film festival has been going strong for over fifteen years and champions both arts and cinema intertwining political and social messages with entertainment.
The London Asian Film Festival is an eclectic mix of films, stimulating interviews, outstanding lectures series, workshops, live performances, visual arts exhibitions, master classes and the annual short film competition. We’re proud to hold the annual London Asian Film Festival awards ceremony that rewards the great films, film makers and artists.
The Festival pushes boundaries and overlaps with global cultures through films and all other art forms with a broad crossover appeal.
Cinema is a magical place. It appeals to all our senses, plugs into other people’s experiences and offers an alternate perspective. Watching a film at the cinema is a shared experience where you go on a collective journey with the rest of the audience. The tears, the laughter, the joy, the suspense and seeing through a window to another world, all is a shared moment. What is more amazing than that?
Our passion for South Asian arts and cinema remains as resilient and strong as it did when Tongues on Fire began.
Digital Shorts Commissions are offering up to £5000 towards the making of 5 digital commissions by able bodied and disabled artists
◾A platform for artists across all art forms to network, exchange ideas with digital artists and build suitable collaborations.
◾An opportunity to showcase the digital films during the 19th London Asian Film Festival and its tour in March 2017 to coincide with the 70th anniversary of India’s independence
◾Profile the work of local, national and regional artists
◾Give opportunities to access other professionals and practitioners
Digital Shorts Commission
Criteria for selection is based on: (SUBMISSIONS NOT MEETING CRITERIA WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED)
• Theme - Memories Beyond Borders: We want artists and digital artists to respond to intergenerational, contemporary and progressive meaning to migration and displacement. This work will coincide with the 70th anniversary of India’s independence and the 45th anniversary of the Ugandan Asian exodus. The meaning of Memories Beyond Borders can be applied to other global issues related to the idea independence, blurring of borders and past borders.
• Young talent: The lead applicant has to be a new or emerging artist aged between 15 and 30 years collaborating with an experienced digital artist
• Disability: At least one commission will be awarded to a disabled artist
• Highest Quality: work with a clear sense of purpose and integrity that has the potential to reach the highest artistic standards of practice.
• Engagement: work that has the ability to interact and captivate audiences.
To be considered for a Memories Beyond Borders commission, each artist will need to:
• A 2-page proposal about the artistic idea that includes:
o the project name
o the artistic vision and how it will be realised
o partnerships and other funders
o a timeline
o length of digital art
o screening technical requirements
• 250 words biography of the artist demonstrating the capacity to create a quality work for the general public
• Up to 3 online links and biography of the digital artist to demonstrate a track record of producing quality work that is innovative, diverse and challenging
• Submit a visual mood board of the artistic idea
1 December Deadline for submitting proposals
5 December Possible interviews with short-listed applicants
10 December Commissions announced
15 February Final digital artwork submitted to ToF
For more info visit the Tongues on Fire website:http://www.tonguesonfire.com/2016/11/digital-commissions-call-out-2017/
Follow the festival on Twitter @tonguesonfire @cometolaff