LANE DOC FEST is an annual award and theatrical screening event, highlighting independent documentary films that emphasize social issues, cultural awareness, democracy, peace, and freedom.
LANE DOC FEST is a thriving and eclectic forum for bringing film professionals and communities together. We provide high-spirited and engaging networking opportunities for students interested in connecting with industry professionals. Our festival is bringing diverse international films to our community and showcasing the best regional and international filmmakers in a celebration of cinematic and visual art.
Our Lane Doc Fest volunteer judge panels are comprised of internationally acclaimed award-winning filmmakers and diverse industry professionals around the globe.
Selected and winning films will be showcased and screened monthly in the Chambers-McClure Academic Center at Lane College in Jackson, TN
Student Film (Any Genre)
NOTE: Please submit only one category!
The official selection and the Finalist will be carefully picked by our panel of expert judges. Only the Finalists are eligible to win the competition in each category. The Finalists and the Winners will be featured on our social media and website.
Lifetime Achievement Award
Black History Documentary Award
Humanity Documentary Award
Equality Documentary Award
Social Justice Documentary Award
Environmental Documentary Award
Best Student Documentary Award
Best Lane College Student Award
1. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Feature documentaries are 31 minutes or longer.
- Shorts are 30 minutes or less.
- All documentaries must have been completed on or after January 01, 2022.
- All invited films are not considered "Official Selection" and are NOT guaranteed for screenings and will NOT be eligible for competition
- The films that have participated in previous competitions or have been screened and awarded in other festivals are all acceptable.
- All films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and the filmmaker must have cleared all rights for music and exhibition.
- Submissions for Lane Doc Fest are open to high school, undergrad, and graduate student films.
- Productions that are not in English must be subtitled or dubbed in English.
- The application and submission process is managed entirely online through Film Freeway. The registration is completed when the entry fee is paid.
- The festival will not return your screening and exhibition copies.
- Once a film is submitted for entry, it may not be withdrawn.
- Films must have licensed clearances on all graphics, locations, logos, materials, music, and personal appearances before submission.
2. SUBMISSION FORMAT
- Films must be submitted via online screener ONLY. We do not accept films sent over by DVD. We do not accept subsequent cuts or more complete versions of submitted films, therefore changing or updating the originally submitted link is not accepted. Only one version of the film will be reviewed by programmers.
3. SELECTION AND SCREENING
- Experts from the film industry, including filmmakers, producers, and others will be elected by the Board Members. Jury members will evaluate the festival's official selection.
- All judges’ decisions are final and judges are not obliged to give any feedback regarding the film.
- The Official Selection and the Finalists list will be announced at the proper time via your email on August 26, 2024. Only the Finalists are eligible to win each category for the competition and the winners will be announced at our gala show on October 7, 2023.
- The festival will design an “Official Selection” and "Finalist" logo for all the chosen films.
- Official Selection and Finalist are NOT guaranteed for screenings.
- Screenings are scheduled at the discretion of LANE DOC FEST and will make every effort will be made to adhere to the published schedule. Land Doc Fest do NOT pay for any screenings.
- LANE DOC FEST reserves the right to LIMIT screenings and changes at any time for any reason and will not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in schedule.
- No film may be withdrawn from the festival program after its selection
- All film entries for the Festival grant LANE DOC FEST the rights at no expense to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from the film for promotional purposes.
- LANE DOC FEST will not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in scheduling.
- The festival website will display the following for each accepted film:
• Original and international title;
• Short synopsis;
• Poster or production still photo of the film;
• Trailer (15-30 seconds);
• Director’s name (if possible also biography)
- Marketing materials on the part of the participants, such as postcards and flyers, can be sent to the festival’s office before September 15th.
- Student submissions must have been college students at the time the film was completed.
4. TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By entering your film for the 2024 LANE DOC FEST, you authorize that your work is cleared for festival exhibition and accept full legal responsibility for the intellectual property therein. Entry into the festival constitutes permission to exhibit your work at the 2024 Lane Doc Fest venue.
LANE DOC FEST is also hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the LANE DOC FEST from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) that may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
By submitting your film via FilmFreeway you acknowledge that the festival will not pay to present your work.