The Second City's 2020 fifth annual, Diversity in Comedy Festival is a 4-day festival taking place on October 15, 16, 17, & 18. LADCF will feature diverse performers in the realm of sketch, improv, stand-up, original pilots, and video shorts, through performances, reading, viewing, panels, and workshops. Locations for the 2020 festival are at The Second City Hollywood on the following sponsored stages, 3 Arts Stage, NBC Stage, and Nickeloden Stage. 2020 is an exciting year for LADCF, as we're introducing two new ways to participate with Original Pilots being chosen and read on stage, and 2-10min Comedy Shorts viewings, sponsored by The Second City's Harold Ramis Film School! Who qualifies as "diverse"? We feel that diversity extends to any group of underrepresented cultural voices- this could be based on gender, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. If you believe your comedic voice is underrepresented and reflects your unique background...apply!
LADCF Shorts Submissions 2020
• The 2020 submission window opens Mar 5th, 2020 and closes May 1st, 2020.
• The producer, writer, and director must be over 18 years of age, a resident of the U.S. and eligible for immediate employment.
• The writer, director, cast, or theme of the short must be diverse, either: ethnically, culturally, or of a diverse voice or community. Examples of diverse and inclusive backgrounds, including female writers & directors, the LGBTQ community, and artists who are differently-abled.
• Short films must qualify under the narrative genres of Comedy. We strongly encourage Comedic Pilot Presentations and stand-alone Web Series episodes. Any Documentaries, Animated Films or Music Videos are not eligible.
• Projects must be 2-10 minutes in length. All others are not eligible.
• Submitted works must have been completed no more than 2 years prior the submission date (no earlier than Feb 2018). Any film completed over 2 years prior is not eligible.
• Submitting parties must hold complete ownership and rights of submitted product.
• Submitting parties must be able to grant screening rights and online streaming rights.
• Only original works are accepted. Submissions are disqualified if based, in whole or in part, on pre-existing material, fictional or nonfiction, produced or un-produced, published or unpublished, unless such material was originally created and published/produced by the applicant, in another medium.
• This is a non-exclusive festival, meaning there is no conflict for your projects to have screened or to screen in future at other festivals.
• Films with prior commercial distribution or broadcast within the US are NOT eligible to submit. In the case of small non-commercial, non-publicized showings, the committee reserves the right to waive this rule.
• In October, the screening will take place at the Los Angeles Diversity in Comedy Festival. The entire team will be invited to attend but are responsible for their own travel and accommodations should they choose to.
• If selected to screen at the LADCF, semi-finalists must provide their shorts in one of the following formats: DCP, HDCam (regular not SR) or QuickTime Pro Res 422.
• No revisions or updated versions will be accepted after the initial submission.
• An applicant may submit multiple separate entries.
• The submitter of each film will be contacted & notified directly if selected for the screening. The submitter will have sole responsibility to contact & notify the writer, director, cast, producing parties, joint rights holders, etc.
• In the event your project is selected for the festival, you may be asked to provide current additional items, such as: trailer, high res poster artwork, still images from the film, revised synopses, short bios of writer, director and lead cast member and possibly social media handles & hashtags.
• The Los Angeles Diversity in Comedy Festival reserves all right to cancel events & showcase screenings at its own discretion.