IN LIGHT OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, THE KNOXVILLE FILM FESTIVAL HAS DECIDED TO MAKE SOME CHANGES FOR 2020. WITH THE UNCERTAINTY OF WHERE WE WILL BE AS A COUNTRY IN THE COMING MONTHS, THE KNOXVILLE FILM FESTIVAL WILL BE HELD SEPTEMBER 18-20 (as previously scheduled) HOWEVER, WE WILL BE MOVING TO AN ONLINE/VIRTUAL EVENT INSTEAD OF AN IN-PERSON EVENT.
WITH THAT BEING SAID, OUR PROCESS WILL REMAIN THE SAME AS IN PAST YEARS. WE WILL SELECT FILMS FROM OUR SUBMISSIONS. THOSE FILMS WILL BE JUDGED AND SLATED FOR AN ONLINE SCREENING EVENT. AND, AT THE END OF THE FESTIVAL WE WILL HAVE AN ONLINE AWARDS CEREMONY.
SPECIFIC DETAILS ARE STILL BEING WORKED OUT, BUT WE WANTED TO ASSURE THOSE SUBMITTING THE THE 2020 KFF WHAT TO EXPECT.
HOPEFULLY, BY THE TIME THE 2021 KNOXVILLE FILM FESTIVAL ROLLS AROUND, THINGS WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND SUPPORT IN THE TIME.
STAY SAFE AND WASH YOUR HANDS!
The Knoxville Film Festival
The Knoxville Film Festival has become the largest and most complete film festival in the region. Produced by award-winning filmmaker Keith McDaniel, KFF has truly become the region's destination for independent cinema. In past years, KFF has had nearly 4,000 in attendance. We screen independent films, hold panel discussions and host two filmmaking competitions.
2020 will mark the Knoxville Film Festival's 17th year (including it's previous incarnation as the Secret City Film Festival). And big changes are coming for the 2020 festival. This year the focus is on Tennessee Filmmakers. All submissions must be made in Tennessee or by a Tennessee-based filmmaker. All submissions must be short films including narrative, documentary and music videos.
With strong support from Regal Entertainment Group (the world's largest theater chain whose headquarters happen to be in Knoxville), and the Visit Knoxville Film Office along with strong local corporate sponsorship, the 2020 Knoxville Film Festival will be held Friday and Saturday, September 18-20, 2020, ONLINE.
Awards include first, second and third place in all submission categories as well as a number of awards for the Tennessee 10 Best of the Best Competition and the 7-Day Shootout Filmmaking Challenge.
KNOXVILLE FILM FESTIVAL GENERAL RULES & GUIDELINES:
- The Knoxville Film Festival DOES NOT offer fee waivers for film submissions.
- Films MUST BE MADE IN TENNESSEE or by a TENNESSEE FILMMAKER.
- Films must be submitted exclusively through FilmFreeway with an online screener. (If your film submission is linked to Vimeo, and you plan to track whether or not your film has been viewed, please know those Vimeo stats can be extremely unreliable.)
- All selected films must be shipped to the address provided in your acceptance email. They must be HD 24fps Quicktime files. WE NO LONGER ACCEPT (REQUIRE) DCP FILES.
- Films must have been completed after January 1, 2018. Films must be available for screening during the Knox Film Fest, September 18-20, 2020.
- Narrative and Documentary films with U.S. distribution (obtained prior to being selected for KFF screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening. Selection for screening will be determined no later than one month prior to the festival. Films that have screened on US network or cable television or distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are also ineligible for competition.
- Knoxville Film Festival reserves the right to change submission categories at their discretion.
- Once an entry payment has been processed we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed, the account holder may be subject to any fees
- You MUST include your physical address in your FilmFreeway entry. Please do not submit a film without giving us your mailing address, phone number and email address, which we need for our records.
- In submitting this film, the filmmaker represents that s/he is authorized to submit this film for screening at the 2020 Knoxville Film Festival. S/he acknowledges that the film may be screened more than once during the festival. S/he grants the Knoxville Film Festival the nonexclusive right to use submitted materials in connection with any and all publicity and promotional materials regarding the festival. S/he warrants that the submitted film does not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of any person or entity and agree to hold harmless and fully indemnify and defend the Knoxville Film Festival and its representatives against any and all claims made for such infringement or any other violations of law.
- Under no circumstances, do we refund submission fees.