Kingston Film Festival is a UK-based organisation that celebrates and connects young talent and anyone interested in film. We hope to bring creativity, passion and diversity into the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames (London) by highlighting great independent cinema.
Founded by Kingston University Alumni in 2020, the festival will launch its second online edition this September. We are hoping to organise some Live Screenings and Events, but can’t make any statement or commitments about it at this moment due to the ongoing global situation.
Full T&C's below
Shortlisters will be selected by our Programming team. Winners will be awarded by a selected Jury.
Awards are given to the categories below:
Best Short Film
Best Production Design
The shortlist/winners will be announced at the event, on our website, and on social media. The selected high-quality films will have a chance to win awards such as laurels, certificates, gift cards, etc.
The 2nd edition of Kingston Film Festival will take place online, and conditionally in Kingston upon Thames, London, between the 24th and 26th of September 2021.
Kingston Film Festival (KFF) is an event dedicated to short films and students' works.
2. Submission Deadlines
Submissions will be accepted from 25th of January 2021. The early deadline is the 28th of February 2021; the regular deadline is the 31st of May 2021; the late deadline is the 30th of June 2021. Early entry is encouraged but in no way guarantees acceptance.
3. Submission Format
Films must be submitted via online screener ONLY. We recommend this format and size:
Format 16:9 / Codec H.264 / Resolution 1920x 1080 / Extension Mp4/ MOV
4. Submission Categories
KKF will feature four categories: Short film, Short Documentary, Short Animation, Experimental short. It is not allowed to send the same film to several categories. If a film is submitted to multiple categories it will be disqualified.
5. Submission Eligibility
- All submissions must have been completed after 1 January 2018.
- There is no premiere policy for any of the films.
- We accept submissions from all over the world.
- Films must be submitted in English or with English subtitles.
Submissions must not contain any copyrighted material, including music, still images or video images without the written permission of the owner. We encourage the use of original or royalty free music.
6. Submission Fee
All submissions for KFF are to be paid through the FilmFreeway platform. The submission fee is non-refundable. Incomplete, defaced, damaged or incorrectly submitted entries are not the responsibility of KFF.
We endeavour to complete all selection procedures by September 1st 2021 and inform all submitting parties, in writing, if their film has been successful or not, after that time.
8. Festival Screenings
Selected films must provide a digital copy of the film with english subtitles, where necessary, within two weeks of receiving the shortlist confirmation. Films that are not sent to us within this timeframe cannot be screened at the festival.
Selected films must acknowledge that KFF reserves the right to promote the films on KFF website and social media using images, video and audio that you provide.
10. Student Fee
In order to submit a film at the discounted 'student' price, the submitter must provide proof of a valid Student Identification either via FilmFreeway or by email at 'Contact@kingstonfilmfestival.co.uk'. KFF will contact any Student Submissions asking to provide valid Student Identification If they have not done so. KFF reserves the right to disqualify any Student Films that fail to provide Student Identification.
Admission requests imply the full acceptance of this regulation. Festival’s management has the right of final decision on anything not specified in this regulation.
We do not guarantee that films will be selected for Kingston Film Festival, however we will notify all submitters, whether selected or not, by September 1st, 2021.
By submitting a film to each short filmmaking category you agree to the following:
1. Any entry will be bound by the Kingston Film Festival Filmmaking Competition Terms and Conditions (“T&Cs”).
2. The Competition is run by Kingston Film Festival, which will be referred in the T&Cs as “KFF”.
3. Film entries must not be longer than 40 minutes. The maximum length required excludes credits.
4. The final deadline for submission is 01/07/21
5. All categories are open to UK residents as well as international filmmakers. Students must send a proof of their student ID when submitting to the discounted category. All films will be judged the same.
6. Submissions don’t require premiere status. However if your film is screened at another festival or organisation you must notify KFF.
7. From 2021 each film requires a submission fee. More than one entry is permitted by an entrant. Due to the submission platform being run by a third party (filmfreeway.com) we can’t provide any refunds.
8. KFF reserves the right to offer Waiver Codes (for Free/Late Submission) to their partners as well as individual filmmakers.
9. Submissions must not contain any copyrighted material, including music, still images or video images without the written permission of the owner. We encourage the use of original or royalty free music.
10. Low budget filmmaking is encouraged. Films with financial support or sponsorship over £1000 must disclose this on the application form.
11. All entrants must agree to participate in promotional and public activities if their film reaches the shortlist stage. Hereby the filmmaker grants KFF the non-exclusive license and right to use all or part of their film e.g. for promotional purposes, and to exhibit the film during the Festival (Online and Offline events) and after, as well as on various social media platforms.
12. Shortlisted films will be notified in writing and their name, as well as the filmmaker’s name will be published on the KFF website and on social media.
13. The KFF competition does not accept submissions from Kingston Film Festival committee members, their immediate family or sponsors of the event.
14. KFF reserves the right to change any dates regarding submission deadlines or the Festival event. We hope to hold a physical event in Kingston in addition to the Online Festival, but at this point cannot state anything further. We are closely monitoring the global situation and will let you know about any news as soon as possible.
14. Our Jury will be a panel of industry professionals. They will select a winner in each category. Their decision will be final.
15. We encourage submissions from young filmmakers. Entrants under the age of 18 must obtain parental or guardian consent to enter into the KFF competition.
16. KFF reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
17. KFF has the right to disqualify any entrant if there are reasonable grounds to believe they have breached any of the rules stated in the T&C’s.