KC FilmFest International (formally known as Kansas City FilmFest) is celebrating it’s 27th year of bringing independent film to Kansas City audiences. Please join us March 26-29, 2023!
For 4 days we'll screen:
• Independent films from around the country and the world!
• 120 + narrative and documentary shorts and features
• All topics, and in addition, film tracks on CinemaJazz, Women Directed Films, Latin Cinema, Black Voices Matter, Alternate Stories, World Cinema, and more
The festival also hosts filmmaker panels, seminars, opening receptions and nightly after-parties
KCFFI offers Audience Choice awards for each narrative feature and narrative documentary & nine juried awards selected by film professionals from across the U.S.
Each year the festival builds on its tradition of bringing inspiring, thought-provoking, and entertaining films to Kansas City audiences and offers opportunities for artists and filmmakers to network, and develop their craft and art. Over the years, our visiting filmmakers have let us know how much they've enjoyed screening for, and interacting with, our engaged and enthusiastic audiences!
Final jurors for Kansas City FilmFest International 2023 will come from a selection of industry professionals in filmmaking, distribution, film media, and festival programmers.
Kansas City FilmFest International is the longest running and largest film festival in the Kansas City Metro Area. It's presented and governed by the Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee, a nonprofit arts organization, which debuted its first film festival in April 1997.
Kansas City FilmFest International 2023 looks forward to hosting audiences and filmmakers in person and in theater and invite you to join us!
-Narrative Short ($250 prize)
-Narrative Feature ($500 prize)
-Documentary Feature ($500 prize)
-Documentary Short ($250 prize)
-Heartland College Student Short($150)
-Heartland Highschool Student Short ($150)
-Fred Andrews Emerging Filmmaker Award ($500)
-Rick Cowan Award for Best Cinematic Heartland Film Locations ($500) Films must have been at least partially shot in Missouri or Kansas to qualify. Included location details in submission form.
-Best Actor in a Narrative Feature Film
-Audience Choice Award for Narrative Feature and Documentary Feature (they are voted on during the festival by audiences)
-Heartland Filmmaker Award- May be awarded by Programming for an outstanding feature narrative or documentary if the filmmaker currently resides in Missouri or Kansas, was born in Missouri or Kansas, or the film was shot in Missouri or Kansas.
Fiction, experimental and/or animation films may be original or adapted from a previously published source. All footage must be original. Documentaries may include footage from other sources. In ALL genres the music may be original or an interpretation but you must certify receipt of any and all releases &/or permissions. To be considered for competition, no public screening should have been held in the Kansas City Metro Area past December 1, 2022.
Submission implies acceptance of the Rules and Regulations by all producers, directors and/or their agents submitting material.
• NO ENTRY FEE WAIVERS.
• Works in progress will NOT be considered for competition or screened at 2022 Kansas City FilmFest International
• All work must be entered no later than the final deadline date
• Entries must have been completed either on or after August 1, 2020.
• All films must be in English or subtitled in English.
• The filmmaker(s) must secure all rights, licenses, clearances and releases necessary for exhibition. A completed entry through FilmFreeway will be accepted as acknowledgment of the entrant having done so.
• All work must be completed and submitted no later than the deadline date. No refunds. By submitting this material you acknowledge the Jubilee's right to copy any submitted material for KCFFI's non-commercial use only.
• All determinations will be made and clarified by Kansas City FilmFest International programmers and jurors. Their decisions are final. Kansas City FilmFest International reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any project and to rule on cases not foreseen by these guidelines. Work will be classified as a competitive or non-competitive entry at the sole discretion of Kansas City FilmFest International .
NOTIFICATION DATE: Filmmakers will receive notification about their film, if accepted or not accepted, March 2th, 2022.
ACCEPTED FILMS: Should your film be accepted in the 2022 Kansas City FilmFest International , you grant KCFFI the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Kansas City FilmFest International for promotional purposes.
Agreements: If your film or video is accepted for screening in the 2022 Kansas City FilmFest International , you agree to and understand the following:
• SHIPPING: If you are mailing an exhibition copy, you are responsible for the arrangements and cost of shipping the exhibition copy to Kansas City FilmFest International .
• DCP: Filmmakers are required to send a DCP meeting AMC Theater's DCP requirements for exhibition. KCFFI partners with SimpleDCP and filmmakers are responsible for the cost of their DCP.
• PUBLICITY: Upon acceptance, you will be requested to submit to Kansas City FilmFest International digital stills and other digital and printed press materials. You are required to work with Kansas City FilmFest International 's PR department for any press outreach.
• LOSS & DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to safeguard films, videos and publicity materials while they are in the possession of the Kansas City FilmFest International/Jubilee. However, if loss or damage occurs, Kansas City FilmFest International/Jubilee cannot accept or assume responsibility.
Kansas City FilmFest International/Jubilee has the right to reschedule dates, cancel festival or events associated with the festival in the event of unforeseen circumstances which reasonably require rescheduling or cancellation, and will advise the entrants.