KFFK traces ongoing tendencies in the work of young talents and offers a platform for its presentation and discussion with an engaged audience and industry representatives. The festival's main section, the German competition, showcases the possibilities of narrative, documentary, animation and experimental shorts.
In further sections the festival offers looks at different regional and thematic focuses. The "New Aesthetic" program features a look at new tendencies in film online. Screenings and workshops specifically directed towards children completes the program.
Entries for the main competition is for German productions and co-productions only. International entries are possible for 360°/VR and Shorts For Kids sections only.
Seit 2006 veranstalten der Kurzfilmfreunde e.V. das Kurzfilmfestival Köln/KFFK und bietet NRWs Medienmetropole ein lebendiges und dauerhaftes Forum für den unabhängigen Kurzfilm. Das Kurzfilmfestival Köln verfolgt aktuelle Tendenzen des ästhetischen und narrativen Schaffens junger Talente und versteht sich als Präsentations- und Diskussionsplattform für junge Filmemacher, ein debattierfreudiges Publikum und Branchenvertreter.
The sum total of the prizes for the 2020 edition is about 12.000 €
- 1. Jury Award - 3.500 € awarded in cooperation with SK Stiftung Kultur
- 2. Jury Award - Cologne Producers' Award – 1.800 € sponsored by Augenschein Filmproduktion, btf - bilduntonfabrik, et al.
- 3. Jury Award: 1 day colour grading at WeFadeToGrey
- Choices Audience-Award: 500 €
- WDR Award worth up to 5.000 €
Cologne Shorts/Kölner Fenster:
- Euipment rental worth 1.500 € from FinderTV
- WDR Award worth up to 5.000 €
- VR Award sponsored by btf - bildundtonfabrik: 500 €
1. General Conditions The competition is open to any film or video formats and doesn't commit to cinematicforms, themes or genres. A film, which isn't chosen by the selection committee for thecompetition, can be placed into a special program. The participation of the film at thefestival can be canceled until the beginning of the eighth week before the start of thefestival. 2. Organization The Short Film Festival of Cologne is organized by the Kurzfilmfreunde Köln e.V. The mainsponsors are the city of Cologne, the Film- and Media Foundation NRW and the Ministry forCulture and Science of the State of North Rhine- Westphalia. 3. Submissions for preselections Closing date for film submissions is 1st of August 2019. The running length of the filmshould not be longer than 45 minutes and the date of completion should be in the year ofthe festival or in the prior year. Only completed films may participate. The submissions can only be made through the digital screener at FilmFreeway. German Competition: Only films with the production site located in Germany are admitted.German co-productions are also accepted. Cologne Shorts: Films with production site located in Cologne are accepted. 360°/VR Shorts For Kids: international productions accepted.4. Accepted film formats The screening copy of the film should be sended as DCP, BluRay, 16mm & 35mm. Films ingerman language should have subtitles in English, films in english language should havesubtitles in German. If the original language of the film is neither German nor English, thefilm should be (if possible) subtitled in both languages. If that is not possible, the filmshould be subtitled in English.5. The selection The entrants of the selected films will be contacted by email in mid-september. After that,the selected films will be published on the website of the Short Film Festival of Cologne.The selection committee will not inform the entrants in the case of rejection. After theinvitation to the program, the entrant has to complete the application form with a shortsynopsis, a crew list, biography and filmography of the director and stills (300 dpi, jpg).6. Awards In addition to the jury and audience awards, there is also the WDR award. This awardconsist of a purchase by these TV stations. For this reason, the films participating on thiscompetition, have still to be the holders of the broadcasting rights. 7. Sending of Screening Copies The screening copies of the selected films must be received by the festival team in Cologne3
by 15th of October 2019 at the latest. The applicant is responsible for the costs of sendingthe viewing and screening copies to the festival. Preview copies as well as screening copiesfrom non-EU countries must be marked: "temporary import- for cultural purposes only, nocommercial value", and be accompanied by a proforma invoice of maximal 20 euros. 8. Return of Screening Copies The festival bares the cost of returning of the viewing copies. 9. Video Library During the festival, all the selected film will be made available for the professional visitors,except otherwise agreed in writing four weeks before the festival. The Video Library can beused freely by all accredited persons. The participation is free of charge 10. Recognition of the regulations Any participation in the KFFK festival presupposes recognition by the participant of thepresent regulations. Any borderline of special cases not adequately covered under the termsof the present regulations shall be decided by the festival management.