The 14th edition of KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival will be held as an in-person festival from June 7 to June 11 2023, followed by an online festival (dates to be announced).
Before submitting you will have an option to select only online, only physical or both, and also if you wish to have your film geo-blocked only to India when playing online.
This year a new award category has been instituted - Ismat Chughtai Award for Best Indian Woman Filmmaker - given to a filmmaker who identifies as a woman, of either a narrative or documentary film playing at the festival, adjudged by an esteemed jury panel. This award is instituted in memory of the intrepid novelist, liberal humanist and filmmaker Ismat Chughtai, by her grandson Ashish Sawhney, and carries a cash award of Rs.25,000 and a KASHISH Golden Butterfly Trophy.
Please read the submission guidelines carefully and submit ONLY if your film is eligible.
𝐊𝐀𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐇 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑 𝐅𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐦𝐞 - 𝐁𝐞 𝐅𝐥𝐮𝐢𝐝, 𝐁𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮!
The theme of KASHISH 2023 is 'BE FLUID, BE YOU!', giving wings to the aspirations of the contemporary generation that is fluid in their thoughts, actions and sexualities; which is expressed through films, art and poetry that is universal in its appeal.
Note: This is only the overall festival theme and all films need not coincide with the theme. The festival programs a broad range of films with diverse LGBTQIA+ themes.
𝘼𝘽𝙊𝙐𝙏 𝙆𝘼𝙎𝙃𝙄𝙎𝙃 𝙈𝙄𝙌𝙁𝙁
KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is the first LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, Intersex, Asexual) film festival in India to be held in a mainstream theater, and the first LGBTQIA+ film festival in India to receive clearance from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
KASHISH MIQFF, now considered South Asia’s biggest LGBTQIA+ film festival and one of world’s top 5 coolest LGBTQIA+ film festival, has over the past 12 editions become one of the biggest pride events in India.
Founded in 2010, the festival has grown from strength to strength, attracting close to 9000 footfalls over the 4 1/2 days of the festival at two/three venues. The festival, every year, has screened 110 - 180 films that include shorts, documentaries, features - all centered around LGBTQIA+ themes. The festival also attracts topline Bollywood celebrities, prominent filmmakers and media personalities, and receives every year over 150 write-ups in mainstream press in India and globally.
KASHISH MIQFF has both Competitive and Non-Competitive categories.
KASHISH MIQFF awards around Rs.2,00,000 lacs (US$2500) in cash prizes – the largest total amount awarded by any LGBTQIA+ film festival in the Indian subcontinent.
The Competition Categories are:
- Best Narrative Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Indian Narrative Short
- Best International Narrative Short
- Riyad Wadia Award for Best Emerging Indian Filmmaker
- Ismat Chughtai Award for Best Indian Woman Filmmaker
- Best Performance in a Lead Role
- Best Screenplay
- Best Student Short Film
The winners will be selected by panels of eminent Jury. The decision of the Juries will be final and is indisputable.
Please check underneath the terms & conditions for consideration in competition categories.
The Prize money and the Award Trophy will be sent ONLY to the Director of the film.
NOTE: The courier charges for dispatching of Award Trophies outside India will be deducted from the cash award amount.
𝗞𝗔𝗦𝗛𝗜𝗦𝗛 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 𝗧𝗲𝗿𝗺𝘀 & 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀
1. KASHISH MIQFF welcomes Filmmakers/ Producers/ Distributors across the world to submit features, documentaries, short and animation films that highlight/ focus on LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) lives and issues.
2. Submit to our festival ONLY IF your film has LGBTQIA+ theme as its main focus. Films that do NOT pertain to LGBTQIA+ theme will be DISQUALIFIED. Please be respectful of our time and yours. Submission Fees are not refundable.
3. ONLY films completed after January 1, 2021 can be submitted to the festival.
KASHISH 2023 will be as an in-person and online event. All the films playing at the online festival shall be available online for 48 hours.
4. The festival doesn’t accept films that are of less than 4 minute runtime including the beginning and end titles.
5. Films with a running time below 60 minutes will be considered in Short Film category. Above 60 minutes will be considered in Features category.
6. All films not in English SHOULD have English Subtitles.
We prefer English language films too with subtitles or close-captions, for the festival to be more inclusive and accessible to hearing impaired audience members.
7. The festival DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEE to any submitted films, neither to the filmmakers, producers nor to the distributors.
8. Films submitted for earlier editions of KASHISH MIQFF and not accepted cannot be submitted again. Re-submission of the same or re-edited films will not be approved and will be rejected.
9. Please use an email id/phone number that is checked regularly in case we need to get in touch with you throughout the submission process. If there is an issue with your submission and we are unable to get in touch with you by our final submission deadline, we will be forced to disqualify your submission.
10. Filmmaker/ Producer/ Distributor certifies that the person holds the rights for submission of film to the festival and will be considered as the original submitter. All correspondence will be done through email ONLY to the original submitter.
11. KASHISH MIQFF is only responsible for considering the project as it exists at the time of review. The festival is under no obligation to revisit updated cuts once a screener has been seen, so be sure that the submitted film is the final cut in all respects.
If submitting a Work-in Progress, be sure to mark the submission as a rough cut/work-in progress/WIP both in your cover letter and in the screener file itself. Please mention there which elements are incomplete (ex: color correction, score, missing shots, etc.)
If your film is accepted, please note that the final cut must reach us by MAY 1, 2023.
12. REGULAR DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: FEBRUARY 15, 2023
EXTENDED DEADLINE FOR SUBMISISON: MARCH 8, 2023
The Festival is not obliged to view any late entries.
NOTE: Films are selected for programming only based on their merit. Please do not be persuaded by anyone who claims to have access to the Festival Team / Selection Committee, and asks for monetary or other favours to get your film selected in the festival. The Festival will not be responsible for any such dealings.
𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗣𝗘𝗧𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 𝗖𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗚𝗢𝗥𝗬 𝗥𝗨𝗟𝗘𝗦
1. To be considered in COMPETITION CATEGORY, the film:
(a) Should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2022
(b) Should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KASHISH MIQFF. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2023.
(c) Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2023.
(d) Films that don’t fulfill conditions in (a,b,c) cannot be considered for competition, but may still be considered for non-competitive category.
(e) Films even if complying the above rules, will still be selected on merit as per the decision of Selection Committee. Selection Committee's decision is final and binding.
2. Additional terms for consideration in STUDENT SHORT FILM COMPETITION CATEGORY:
(a) Apart from the above requirements, ONLY short films UNDER 60 minutes – narrative, documentary or animation - that pertain to LGBTQIA+ theme made by student/s of any Indian and International film & media institutes.
(e) The director of the Student Short Film must be a current or recently graduated full-time student, and has made the submitted film as part of their course at the institute.
(f) If you are a Student Filmmaker please submit a scanned image of your valid student Photo ID as proof by email to email@example.com . The pass-out students can provide an official letter from their faculty head certifying that the submitted film was made as part of their film course at the institute. Please quote your FilmFreeway tracking number in the subject line of email.
(g) If the film has more than one director, the team should nominate one of the directors as a key person for all communication.
(h) The entries shall be judged on the basis of originality, craft, entertainment and artistic quality, without regard to cost of production or subject matter.
1. The original submitter of the accepted film will be notified by email by March 31, 2023.
2. Please ensure that you have provided us with your correct/valid email.
3. After notification of selection, the film may not be withdrawn from the festival under any circumstance. For directors and producers, we strongly advise that everyone is in agreement about the festivals they are submitting to, which festivals they want to premiere at, and which version of the film is being submitted. When disputes arise, i.e. a film has been submitted without everyone’s explicit approval or the festival strategy has changed, we suggest that productions find a solution and come to an agreement with all the key decision makers before contacting us or any festivals the film has been submitted to.
4. Due to large number of entries we receive, we will not be able to offer any feedback to those films not accepted.
5. Accepted films will receive an email notifying the film's acceptance at the festival. Films not accepted will also be notified by email by the notification deadline.
Please make sure the email address associated with your submission remains active throughout the submission process. Your status of Accepted/Not Accepted will also be reflected in FilmFreeway by the notification date.
* Notification dates are subject to change, please check the festival website/ FilmFreeway page every few weeks for updates.
6. Upon acceptance we would need an exhibition copy in HD file. Other materials required such as publicity stills, trailer, festivals list, etc. will be mentioned in the notification mail.
7. KASHISH MIQFF reserves the right to use the selected film stills/ text/ video clip (limited to 10% of the total length and not exceeding 3 min) for promotional use in, but not limited to, Internet, print media, TV, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The festival reserves the right to decide all questions regarding terms and conditions. By submitting your film to KASHISH MIQFF via FilmFreeway, you accept the terms and conditions mentioned above.
For any submission related query, please write to our programming team at firstname.lastname@example.org